Is the boat yard screwing you? stories - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 68 Old 09-10-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Is the boat yard screwing you? stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by br3nt View Post
Wow. Chef and some others on here either donít need sleep, have no other obligations in life or donít care how long it takes to get back on the water. Whichever it is, Good For You.

For the rest of us, I think itís reasonable to expect professional quality work when you pay professional prices. If my mechanic had the reputation of my local boat yard theyíd be out of business in a month. Being that commercial shoreline property is limited, itís a lot easier to be a crappy boatyard than a crappy mechanic. Itís unfortunate that some boatyards have this advantage and some are either too negligent or too greedy to be professional.

In regards to naming entities that arenít represented on here I think it would be fair to post criticism on Yelp and link to the Yelp post here.

And Chef, deriding others lack of time or differing priorities in life is crappy. I have a crap ton of things going on in my life and donít have time to babysit the yard, my diver or my mechanic. Go to the doctor and get your Ďlameí back problem fixed before y-u throw stones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Wow .....Normally I wouldnít even answer your insults, but you named me directly a number of times. You seem to take things personally , which is always a thin skinned approach to a forum open to diverse opinions. No one wants to listen to your personal insults as it adds nothing to any post. It in fact detracts and lessens your credibility ( if you had any) .

Just because others differ from your opinions doesnít give you the right or the liscence to make personal remarks about my back or anything about me. I do sleep quite well, have a full life, demanding job, and sail 2500 miles average a year for many years. BTW my back has been fixed.

You wonít last long here with your approach with personal comments.

My opinions are just mine thatís all. I have as much right to them as you do. Try and be civil here and learn to play in the sandbox with the rest of us. Try and contribute helpful comments. Try not to take things personally.

Back to the topic. I use professional marine help. I have been lucky to find good help. They are worth the money I spend with them. I also try and learn from them. Thatís my approach. It fits me.

I donít like the fact that people reputations are ruined on line by posting unvetted negative comments without the parties ability to respond. It could be and often is a personal vendetta. I have seen businesses threatened by customers to do that unfairly to gain financial concessions. While the internet have opened up the possibility to gain information on businesses it has a down side to it also. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

This is why I donít beleive in posting businesses names here. There are other avenues to file complaints like the BBB.

Just my humble opinion not a fact. ( just in case Mr Thin Skinned needs that explained)
jblumhorst and bigdogandy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 68 Old 09-11-2018

Ah Chef. Iím glad I could give you something to drone on about. Your conclusions are unsurprisingly wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #53 of 68 Old 09-11-2018
The most female moderator

Dock

Move on, please. Nothing more to talk about here.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

post #54 of 68 Old 09-11-2018

Most discussion forums will degenerate to posters making personal attacks on one another and tanking the level of discourse.

Varying opinions are fine, actually desirable. Personal attacks are not.

As I described a bad experience with a yard without naming it anyone interested could contact me about the details. And this would likely be people who sail in the area where I do and the incident occurred. Why would someone in UK want to read the name of the boatyard I had the unpleasant experience? But someone in my region who might be considering using that yard might. It's not terribly hard to connect the dots and get the info as it may apply to you. No need to trash a local business to the entire world.

World wide retailers are different... in that people everywhere might use their products.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #55 of 68 Old 09-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by driggers View Post
A while ago I noticed that my shaft strut looked odd.

I asked about it here
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-...backwards.html

There was sort of a mound under the strut, and it seemed a bit misshapen. When I took a close look this week I was shocked to find that not only was it installed a bit weird, it isn't even made of metal!

It is just a bunch of fiberglass shaped to look like a strut!

Someone probably broke it or it didn't fit when the boat was repowered and made a similar shape out of fiberglass and never told the owner. What nerve! I'm almost incredulous that someone would do this.

I have talked at length to the owner that got this done (2 owners ago. edit: 3, actually.). We are friendly and he was super happy that I had him over to visit his long lost love. He has no idea about the strut!

http://alejandroerickson.com/j/image...shaft-wide.jpg

http://alejandroerickson.com/j/image...aft-detail.jpg

(note that sailnet seems to be garbage at helping me post pictures. I've been using this site for years and I don't know if I've ever posted a picture successfully. Therefore you can click the links if you are interested )

edit: I just remembered my real reason for posting. Where do I get a new strut?

edit 2 and update: The PO visited me when I told him about the strut and he was very surprised, but he is sure that the boat came to him that way and that it did not happen during the repower... furthermore, his buying-surveyor looked at the boat in the water and told him it had a bronze strut (how the surveyor thought he knew this the PO admits is beyond him). so now I'm a bit more confused... and so is the PO. Keep in mind there have been two owners between us and that this is just a friendly old man I keep in touch with - not someone trying to save face and make up stories.
My belief is that what you have there is a perfectly normal strut that was made like that, out of fiberglass when the boat was built. Maybe you should check out some other boats of the same model.

Of course this would mean that the whole thread is based on a misapprehension, and have unfairly maligned the boatyard.

Perhaps, for the sake of balance, a boatyard should start a thread ďare your customers trying to unfairly screw you on the interweb?Ē

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #56 of 68 Old 09-11-2018

We can see this differently and I do. Yelp is full of local business reviews, published worldwide. So is Active Captain. Ultimately, there can be no harm to someone reading it, in the UK, if they would never use the local facility anyway.

Social media is powerful and can be abused. However, it's becoming a new language too. No one, who has any experience with it, believes everything they read. Positive or negative. Not all have the experience to sort it all out, but it's building fast. Crowd sourced data is hugely powerful, even when not all accurate. Social scientists are developing computer programs that sort through all sorts of conflicting social media and are very accurately determining the truth. It's amazing.

Further, many vendors are faking their own positive reviews (see Amazon), by making sock puppet accounts. If a fake positive review were posted here, would it be censored? Would we know? We should not only censor the negative, which brings me back to no censoring at all.

I do believe in some boundaries and admit, I have not made an effort to propose them. I believe we already have a boundary that one must establish themselves on the board, before they unload on a vendor. I support freedom in expressing one's experience. Vendors can and sometimes do join to engage in the discussion. Most vendors do that badly. But the negative word is still being spread, even if censored here. Vendors should want a way to know this, as they can't have ears at every marina bar in the country.

My opinion.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #57 of 68 Old 09-14-2018

I think the key is to keep a close eye on all work done in a boatyard. The reality is that even moderately serious boat repairs are expensive whether the yard does the work or it is DIY. Boats just ain't cheap. But do keep a close ye. I know of situations where distant owners tried to handle things via phone and ended up with what I felt were huge bills.

I would add that boatyard workers are people too and tend to respond positively or negatively depending on how they feel they are treated by the owner. I have always tried to be friendly and respectful of workers at times even resorting to free donuts. I find that at times where I have gone on the hard and decided to DIY the repair, that this friendly approach has resulted in my being able to ask questions and advice about my repair. In at least one instance this saved me hundreds of dollars and made a much better repair than I was planning.
bristol299bob likes this.
post #58 of 68 Old 09-14-2018

Having eyes on the job is huge and most owners can't afford the time or the manager to do it. For the mega yacht folks, the full time Captain gets this done. I knew a fella trying to start a boat manager program, for folks like us, where he would be paid to manage a few dozen boats and deal with boat yard maintenance. It was a great idea, but he couldn't get it off the ground.

As for friendly chatting up the yard workers, I just had the latest chapter in my experience of boat yard rip offs. I was having some work done a few weeks ago and the yard ran into unexpected difficulty, which I was fully up to speed on. I passed the actual mechanic on his way to the restroom and he re-explained it all. I even mentioned a few times that I didn't want to hold him up to use the head. He said, no problem, and finished his thoughts. When I got the bill a month later, those 15 mins of labor were listed as "discussion with owner".

Further, the bill contained the disassembly of things that seemed to have nothing to do with the job. In fact, I personally recall being aboard and they were intact. I inquired, via email to the office manager. First reply was it was necessary to access the job. I replied describing how it was not near the job and I had seen it in place. Radio silence ever since.

They fit me in and did a rush job to keep from ruining my season and an upcoming sail with invited guests, so I paid the bill. But there is no doubt it had rip off line items and they just don't get how that impact what I am and am not willing to pay them to do. In fact, I've looked at my maintenance over the years and would have hired them for 50-100% more work, if I trusted them.

You just can't make this rip off stuff up. Most boat yards deserve the bad rap.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #59 of 68 Old 09-15-2018

Wow... guess it really depends on the yard. If I had been billed for minutes consulting with workers my last time in the yard it may have run into a couple of hours total. Is this really a common practice?
post #60 of 68 Old 09-16-2018
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisysDriver View Post
Wow... guess it really depends on the yard. If I had been billed for minutes consulting with workers my last time in the yard it may have run into a couple of hours total. Is this really a common practice?
It isn't at our yard or I'd have moved years ago.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in