Is the boat yard screwing you? stories - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 68 Old 09-16-2018

Re: Is the boat yard screwing you? stories

Our marina manager applies this “discussion” billing policy at his discretion. In this case, they had me over a barrel, or my season was over. Yes, he feels entitled. It’s that kind of logic that keep me from using them any more than I have to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 09-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisysDriver View Post
Wow... guess it really depends on the yard. If I had been billed for minutes consulting with workers my last time in the yard it may have run into a couple of hours total. Is this really a common practice?
It isn't common practice to label it "discussion time". If your mechanic spends 8 hours in a day working on your boat, you are going to get billed for 8 hours even if he spent 4 of those talking to you. That is why it pays to be onsite when work is being done to make sure the two guys you are being billed for are working on "your" boat all day. Just don't distract them, it'll cost you. You can also save money by being their assistant, saving them labor time and learning something.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 68 Old 09-16-2018

I’ve wanted to install a wireless security camera aboard. Arlo makes one thatncistba few hundred bucks, plus a $20/mo cell subscription. The truth is, I would just like some way to know they’ve done work I can’t visually confirm. Amazing that they never send an email, only the bill a month later. You must call to ask if work has been completed.

Admittedly, it would be fascinating to see how they spend their time aboard. I know for this last job, they returned three times to collect their tools. There weren’t so many they couldn’t be taken at once, but it seemed he didn’t need them all. No question that was an inefficient use of time, but they have no motivation to be efficient. They charge by the hour.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #64 of 68 Old 09-16-2018

An auto repair shop I went to years ago had a sign on the wall which read something to the effect of 'You are welcome to chat with the mechanic as long as he is working on your car'.
post #65 of 68 Old 09-16-2018

Don't think I ever got screwed.in 40 yrs. As a matter of fact there was limited opportunity. I hired a crane in "75 to lift my masts once and the last few years I actually had the hull pressure washed while in the slings during.annual haul out for CG. inspection. What a luxury and a deal until I found the by the foot included the bowsprit.But I got to live aboard on the hard and some use of the shop so it was OK.
jephotog and travlin-easy like this.
post #66 of 68 Old 09-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
...What a luxury and a deal until I found the by the foot included the bowsprit.But I got to live aboard on the hard and some use of the shop so it was OK...
When I bought my current boat the yard where the seller had her stored came up with a quote for bottom paint. It seemed a little high vs. what I calculated from their posted rates, so I challenged them and they said that my Catalina 34 had measured at 38' long. I asked how that could be, and they said it's tip to tip. "But I've got an anchor on the roller sticking out beyond my bow, and empty davits sticking out the stern, and neither of those take any paint." They didn't care, they just said "That's how we do it for everyone, so it evens out in the end." I told them that 38' could not possibly be right, and demanded that they re-measure or the painting deal is off. While awaiting the re-measure, I took the anchor off the roller and stored it in the locker, and folded my davits sideways so they didn't overhang the transom. The measurement came back at 35' (Catalina 34 hull is actually 34'6", and bow pulpit sticks out another 6", so 35' is correct with the modifications that I made). This difference was significant, because their per-foot rate goes up (a lot) for boats over 35' (presumably because they are wider, so have more surface area per foot of length for larger boats). So between the shorter length and the lower cost per foot, the price I had to pay was 25% lower.

You need to watch these guys carefully.
Minnewaska likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #67 of 68 Old 09-17-2018

Most per foot pricing in the marine industry is a rip off. I certainly understand when the labor or materials are variable. What really burns me is being charged for the LONGER of the side slip or my LOA.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #68 of 68 Old 09-17-2018

Back when I first paid moorage at federal docks in BC the rates were based on registered length. (perpendicular at stem to leading edge of rudder shaft. .02/ft/m.for fishing.v.) Very few private commercial marinas around but times change and now it's overall length ,extra for wide tris and cats and maybe $15/ft/m. Still,, must be cheap because few are opting out to free ontheanchor cruising in secluded inlets .Wonder if the attraction of fine restaurants and Netflicks affects the decision. Or maybe the mortgage, car payment and the inability to fix your own stuff .

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in