Is the boat yard screwing you? stories - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 Old 09-08-2018 Thread Starter

Is the boat yard screwing you? stories

A while ago I noticed that my shaft strut looked odd.

I asked about it here
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-...backwards.html

There was sort of a mound under the strut, and it seemed a bit misshapen. When I took a close look this week I was shocked to find that not only was it installed a bit weird, it isn't even made of metal!

It is just a bunch of fiberglass shaped to look like a strut!

Someone probably broke it or it didn't fit when the boat was repowered and made a similar shape out of fiberglass and never told the owner. What nerve! I'm almost incredulous that someone would do this.

I have talked at length to the owner that got this done (2 owners ago. edit: 3, actually.). We are friendly and he was super happy that I had him over to visit his long lost love. He has no idea about the strut!

http://alejandroerickson.com/j/image...shaft-wide.jpg

http://alejandroerickson.com/j/image...aft-detail.jpg

(note that sailnet seems to be garbage at helping me post pictures. I've been using this site for years and I don't know if I've ever posted a picture successfully. Therefore you can click the links if you are interested )

edit: I just remembered my real reason for posting. Where do I get a new strut?

edit 2 and update: The PO visited me when I told him about the strut and he was very surprised, but he is sure that the boat came to him that way and that it did not happen during the repower... furthermore, his buying-surveyor looked at the boat in the water and told him it had a bronze strut (how the surveyor thought he knew this the PO admits is beyond him). so now I'm a bit more confused... and so is the PO. Keep in mind there have been two owners between us and that this is just a friendly old man I keep in touch with - not someone trying to save face and make up stories.

Last edited by driggers; 09-09-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 09-08-2018

Re: Is the boat yard screwing you? stories

Is it glass throughout, or did someone build glass on top of the old strut? I find it very hard to believe the PO did not know about this, regardless of my willingness to believe in a boatyard fraud. Did the PO never have the boat out of the water?
jblumhorst likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 68 Old 09-08-2018

I had a legacy B&G speed transducer... everything worked fine. I had a collection of replacement impellers. This unit was no longer in production or supported. The transducer house projects about an inch below the hull as a fin to deflect weeds.

Because it is vulnerable and will break off if a lifting strap is place there I produced a detailed clear drawing for hauling and sling placement. I also marked the toe rail with red electrical tape.

The yard ignored the drawing... and of course broke the thru hull. This fin also had a V groove in the aft vertical edge to guide the impeller unit to the right alignment. That feature was lost as well when the weed deflector part was broken off.

The yard agreed to get a replacement. The replacement required that the mother board on the CPU of the monitor be altered. This had to be unwired... removed and shipped to B&G in FL for the modification.. then re installed and wired up with the new speedo and of course re-calibrated and so forth. They installed the NEW Airmar unit incorrectly and the anti leak valve did not work and could not be fixed or even understood until the boat was hauled again.

I try not to let anyone work on the boat when I am not present... or do the work myself. But in 33 years of owning Shiva these yards love to haul and launch when the owner is not around regardless of specific instructions to notify me.
chef2sail likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #4 of 68 Old 09-08-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Is it glass throughout, or did someone build glass on top of the old strut? I find it very hard to believe the PO did not know about this, regardless of my willingness to believe in a boatyard fraud. Did the PO never have the boat out of the water?
As much as the PO loved his boat and kept decent records, I don't think he did much of his own work. He had no reason to lie to me and we chatted casually about the details and circumstances of the repower, and I asked him pointedly about the strut. He has not a clue, I am sure of it.
post #5 of 68 Old 09-08-2018

I understand there are clueless owners. But he wouldn't have noticed his strut suddenly looked different? Do you know this guy isn't playing dumb?
capta likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 68 Old 09-08-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
I understand there are clueless owners. But he wouldn't have noticed his strut suddenly looked different? Do you know this guy isn't playing dumb?
For all I know he never saw the thing out of the water? Or possibly it was a different PO and he bought the boat with this strut (that would invalidate my guesses about how this happened, of course).

The man is about 85 and he even called me last year to wish me a merry xmas. If he's playing dumb he's a pathological liar (no other motivation) and an incredible actor. I'm sure he's being honest with me.
post #7 of 68 Old 09-08-2018
Sailnet Vendor

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by driggers View Post
For all I know he never saw the thing out of the water? Or possibly it was a different PO and he bought the boat with this strut (that would invalidate my guesses about how this happened, of course).

The man is about 85 and he even called me last year to wish me a merry xmas. If he's playing dumb he's a pathological liar (no other motivation) and an incredible actor. I'm sure he's being honest with me.
You state that the strut may have been installed at ant time by any previous owner, and you have you have no idea who installed the strut. There’s no evidence at all to support your claim that a boatyard did it.

I think it’s more likely that a prior owner who was too cheap to pay for a professional quality repair job did it himself. It seems to me that the labor cost of making a fiberglass strut would far exceed the cost of a replacement strut. That suggests a DIY owner made his own part.

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran

Last edited by jblumhorst; 09-08-2018 at 12:32 PM.
post #8 of 68 Old 09-08-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblumhorst View Post
So, you state that the strut may have been installed at ant time by any previous owner, and you have you have no idea who installed the strut. Nevertheless you bad mouth all Boatyard’s.
I'm not sure what you are on about here, nor how to respond to such nonsense. This is a casual thread to vent about ****ty things that boat yards (or boat builders) do. If you have a problem with this and need to deconstruct my story then you can go sail somewhere else.

There is a chance that the strut itself was hand crafted by another PO, but I doubt it. Everything about this engine repower is ****ty, from the arrangement of the cables, the broken mounts, the shaft that was reused even though it is so long on the newer engine that it interferes with the rudder (took a chunk out of it this year and am fixing it now!), to the use of automotive wire, the sloppy butchery that was done to accomodate the new engine and make access, the fuel tank that was not fastened down, the non-stainless hose clamps (installed in 2006, no less). The list seems endless sometimes, and I'm just now getting to be able to fix the last few items after 1.5 years.

All this is the ****ty work of ONE boat yard on ONE boat. If you want to see a few ****ty things that boat builders do, on the other hand, check this link out!

Stoopid boat builder tricks

Edit: I'll just add that I'm not here to give you evidence. I'm just saying what I think happened and I'm keeping all the evidence to myself, because this is just a story about an anonymous yard. This isn't the right place to be asking for evidence, and to try and defend boat yards, because we all know full well that there are many crappy operations out there, and you either need to use one you really trust or do things yourself, and beware of engaging anyone else to do work on your boat.
br3nt likes this.

Last edited by driggers; 09-08-2018 at 12:42 PM.
post #9 of 68 Old 09-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by driggers View Post
A while ago I noticed that my shaft strut looked odd.

I asked about it here
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-...backwards.html

There was sort of a mound under the strut, and it seemed a bit misshapen. When I took a close look this week I was shocked to find that not only was it installed a bit weird, it isn't even made of metal!

It is just a bunch of fiberglass shaped to look like a strut!

Someone probably broke it or it didn't fit when the boat was repowered and made a similar shape out of fiberglass and never told the owner. What nerve! I'm almost incredulous that someone would do this.

I have talked at length to the owner that got this done (2 owners ago). We are friendly and he was super happy that I had him over to visit his long lost love. He has no idea about the strut!

http://alejandroerickson.com/j/image...shaft-wide.jpg

http://alejandroerickson.com/j/image...aft-detail.jpg

(note that sailnet seems to be garbage at helping me post pictures. I've been using this site for years and I don't know if I've ever posted a picture successfully. Therefore you can click the links if you are interested )

edit: I just remembered my real reason for posting. Where do I get a new strut?
Yes it does not look right.

Check out how the images are inserted below by using the reply with quotes option and that may help you in the future with displaying images in your posts.

Some sources for struts:
https://www.generalpropeller.com/inboard-strut

https://www.hhprop.com/machined-runn...ts-rudders.php

Marine Boat Strut Replacement Metal Casting Foundry Service Company Seattle Washington

https://www.propellerdepot.com/struts

[Edit] - It looks like some incompatibility or restriction with the site you are hosting your photos on. For some reason you have to go to the site and open each photo to establish a connection for the session before the links will be allowed to display on SailNet so you then have to repeat this every time you come back to it as it does not stay persistent. Note also that at times your site puts up a notice indicating that the image can not be displayed because it contains errors when opening the details image.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 09-09-2018 at 08:47 AM.
post #10 of 68 Old 09-08-2018
Sailnet Vendor

Dock

Quote:
I would guess that the old strut is under the fiberglass, but itís damaged or pinked out corroded and cracked. Somebody who is incompetent probably slapped some glass over the old, cracked strut.
oysterman23 likes this.

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in