Thru hull possibly leaking... what to do - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 09-11-2018

Re: Thru hull possibly leaking... what to do

if they are below the water line then you will need to haul the boat to fix. if they are below the water then they should have valves before the hose to prevent the boat from sinking if a hose leaks or comes off. originally the cockpit drains where in the very stern of the boat just above the waterline, have they been moved. is that the inside of the transom in the first pic

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 09-11-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
if they are below the water line then you will need to haul the boat to fix. if they are below the water then they should have valves before the hose to prevent the boat from sinking if a hose leaks or comes off. originally the cockpit drains where in the very stern of the boat just above the waterline, have they been moved. is that the inside of the transom in the first pic
I don't think there were ever any aft cockpit drains in the Wilderness 21... only fore cockpit drains.

I don't think that is the inside of the transom in the first pic. But I will look today to check for sure.
post #13 of 21 Old 09-11-2018

You may be right, I sail on a Burns 21 which is the latter model of the wilderness 21 We had the last one built and they may have changed the location of the drains. ours went straight out the transom. we kept ours on a trailer at the club launch

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

post #14 of 21 Old 09-14-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

With a 21' boat, it is possible that you can either careen the boat, or take a line from the masthead to a dock/shore fitting and haul it over sideways, so that you can lift one side of the hull pretty much clear of the water, at a time. That would allow you to remove and rebed one side, and then come back to do the other. And removed and rebedding is really the right way to go. "Do once and do it right" instead of patching and kludging. And, if the big white nut splits....uh, yeah, you're going to need to do something like that real fast anyway.
If there's any type of crane or an overhanging dock structure, you may also be able to tie a line around the read of the hull and simply lift the rear clear of the water. Hauling isn't the only option, although for 21' you may be able to have a local marina give you an overnight haul, i.e. they haul you last thing in the day, leave you in the sling, launch you again in the morning and that gives you a few hours between the haul and sunset when you can do a fast job.

A PITA but something that can be done. I used 5200 to replace a speed log throughhull once. The previous one had been put in the same way. Didn't matter, the new one was larger than the old one, would require a large hole to be drilled. The old fitting was easily split with a saw and then imploded into the hole. The 5200 was practically the same as the frp of the hull, which doesn't seem to bad for what is intended to be a permanent installation.
post #15 of 21 Old 09-14-2018

A proper repair as described previously is what should be done at some point.
If you are a good swimmer, underwater epoxy( the type made for emergency repairs) could be rolled into a 'stringlike' format and applied around the perimeter. The stuff does work.
post #16 of 21 Old 09-15-2018
Dirt Free

Throughulls (of mismatched plastics yet) below the waterline and without seacocks ..... keep an eye over your shoulder, Mr. Darwin is on the hunt.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #17 of 21 Old 09-17-2018

On a 21 foot boat the drains are likely below or at the waterline (my Contessa drains were underwater, Precision are underwater with anyone in the cockpit).

Can't this just wait until the season is over? A liter of water isn't going to sink it.

Precision 18, Massachusetts
Former boat: Contessa 26
post #18 of 21 Old 09-17-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
A proper repair as described previously is what should be done at some point.
If you are a good swimmer, underwater epoxy( the type made for emergency repairs) could be rolled into a 'stringlike' format and applied around the perimeter. The stuff does work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Throughulls (of mismatched plastics yet) below the waterline and without seacocks ..... keep an eye over your shoulder, Mr. Darwin is on the hunt.
[QUOTE=asdf38;2051553582]On a 21 foot boat the drains are likely below or at the waterline (my Contessa drains were underwater, Precision are underwater with anyone in the cockpit). Can't this just wait until the season is over? A liter of water isn't going to sink it.

Thanks for the comments. I thought about trying splashzone underwater epoxy. I'm a good swimmer but 55 degree water.... nah. Yes a proper repair will be done.

As for being a future Darwin Award winner, it's a little late... I've already passed my genes on to two of the next generation. As mentioned above, yes, a proper repair is in order.

Finally, yes, waiting till I haul it back out is what I've chosen to do. I'll be monitoring the water ingress each time I use the boat... which is often... multiple times a week. And you are right, a little water even up to a gallon is not an issue... but by then the bilge pump will kick in.
post #19 of 21 Old 09-17-2018
Catalina 400 MKII

HNash. I believe that George has it right. If, indeed the though hulls are under water, you need to haul. The good news is that you can just haul the boat for a short time, and fix the problem. Most yards will work with you to schedule this haul. For example, they haul it before they break for lunch, then splash you after lunch. If you've never done this type of repair before, get someone to help you. It's a bummer, but at least it shoul be (knock on wood) a relately easy fix. Good luck!
post #20 of 21 Old 09-17-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty C-M View Post
HNash. I believe that George has it right. If, indeed the though hulls are under water, you need to haul. The good news is that you can just haul the boat for a short time, and fix the problem. Most yards will work with you to schedule this haul. For example, they haul it before they break for lunch, then splash you after lunch. If you've never done this type of repair before, get someone to help you. It's a bummer, but at least it shoul be (knock on wood) a relately easy fix. Good luck!
Hauling it is a bummer. The only place that hauls it uses a sling which means I have to unstep the mast. And since the mast is not deck stepped (no mast hinge), I have to have a different location stick the mast for me. My previous boats all had mast hinges/deck stepped. Using the crane to stick my mast damaged the Windex. All in all, it was a ***** to do. So, no, hauling is a pain.

If I could find a trailer tongue extension, I might be able to back the trailer deep enough to float the boat on the trailer, pull it out and do the work the next couple of days and then re-launch.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in