Thru hull possibly leaking... what to do - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 09-10-2018 Thread Starter

Thru hull possibly leaking... what to do

Attached is a picture of the two cockpit drain thru hull fittings in my sailboat... a Wilderness 21.

Not evident in the pic is some seepage on the lower threads, especially the left one. I also see some seepage where the large round base meets the fiberglass pad it is anchored to.

The boat is in the water now. After a two hour sail, there is perhaps a pint of water in the bilge.

Is there anything I can tighten to stem this seepage?

Thanks.

Hal Nash
Waldport OR
Attached Thumbnails
thruhulls.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-11-2018

Re: Thru hull possibly leaking... what to do

You can use some polyurethane or polysulphide. First open them a little bit, insert some sealant as close as possible to the thruhull. Tighten.
post #3 of 21 Old 09-11-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
You can use some polyurethane or polysulphide. First open them a little bit, insert some sealant as close as possible to the thruhull. Tighten.
Thanks for the reply.

However, I don't quite understand what you mean by saying "open them a little bit." Does that mean to unscrew the large white "nut" shown in the pic?

post #4 of 21 Old 09-11-2018

To do this right the boat needs to be out of the water. You'll have to remove the fittings and re-bed them. It's very easy, but you can't do it in the water. I wouldn't mess with sealants in the meantime.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-11-2018

look like someone put in bigger drains then it came with. those drains are just above the waterline. you could loosen the big white retainer nut and put a bead of sealer around the thur hull threads and retighten the nut. if it works then you will be good for another 30 years. if not then you will need to remove and rebid from both sides. looks to me like they did not use sealer and are relying on the epoxy only. do not use silicon seal or 5200. I would use 3m 4200 sealer as it is removable at a latter date

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #6 of 21 Old 09-11-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
look like someone put in bigger drains then it came with. those drains are just above the waterline. you could loosen the big white retainer nut and put a bead of sealer around the thur hull threads and retighten the nut. if it works then you will be good for another 30 years. if not then you will need to remove and rebid from both sides. looks to me like they did not use sealer and are relying on the epoxy only. do not use silicon seal or 5200. I would use 3m 4200 sealer as it is removable at a latter date
Thanks for the reply. If I loosen the big white retainer nut, will water starting rushing in? The boat is still in the water. I've not worked with thru-hulls before, so I'm a bit ignorant of their anatomy.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-11-2018

Those thur hulls are above the water line so no water should rush in if they where below the water they would be leaking all the time and not just when you are sailing.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #8 of 21 Old 09-11-2018

Hnash - DO NOT LOOSEN THE RETAINING NUT WHILE THE BOAT IS IN THE WATER! Your problem is the bond line between the thru hull's outer flange and the outside of the hull has been broken. I can see how this problem originated. The original repairer did a nice job making flat backing plates so the retaining nut have a flat surface to mate. The problem lies with the elbows screwed directly to the stand pipe. When torquing the elbow to align with the hose there must of been some movement of the thru hull itself, breaking the caulk bond. The elasticity of the caulk have been preventing (or slowing down) the leak so far. The proper repair is to haul the boat, remove, recaulk, and reinstall the thru hull. The AYBC way is to use a right angle seacock that can be closed off in this application instead of a threaded elbow.
Jeff_H likes this.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #9 of 21 Old 09-11-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Those thur hulls are above the water line so no water should rush in if they where below the water they would be leaking all the time and not just when you are sailing.
From the attached picture, it does NOT look like they are below the waterline. You can see the thru-hull on the outside of the hull on the far right edge of the picture.

Am I missing something?
Attached Thumbnails
thruhullpic.jpg  
post #10 of 21 Old 09-11-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Hnash - DO NOT LOOSEN THE RETAINING NUT WHILE THE BOAT IS IN THE WATER! Your problem is the bond line between the thru hull's outer flange and the outside of the hull has been broken. I can see how this problem originated. The original repairer did a nice job making flat backing plates so the retaining nut have a flat surface to mate. The problem lies with the elbows screwed directly to the stand pipe. When torquing the elbow to align with the hose there must of been some movement of the thru hull itself, breaking the caulk bond. The elasticity of the caulk have been preventing (or slowing down) the leak so far. The proper repair is to haul the boat, remove, recaulk, and reinstall the thru hull. The AYBC way is to use a right angle seacock that can be closed off in this application instead of a threaded elbow.
I was afraid of this... shyte. Hmm.... Take a look at the last pic I uploaded... it shows one of the thru-hulls being well below the waterline.

It was a bitch getting this boat in the water and sticking the mast on it. It's only been in the water less than two weeks. Again... shyte.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in