teak decks - how much work are they really? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 09-14-2018
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Re: teak decks - how much work are they really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
There's a young couple of YouTube that recently got a steal on a HR35(?) and part of their massive overhaul including something like two weeks, pretty much full time, for both of them and another couple helping out, to remove the worn teak decking, some 8,000 screws, and then lay new decking on it. They used a plastic sheet product that "looks" like teak, for the replacement. Nice job, massive amount of work, including filling in the eight thousand screw holes.

A lot depends on how who maintained the decks, or not. These days it is more likely that a new deck would be glued down, so the leaking wouldn't be an issue. But your typical older boat? Yeah, 8000 screw holes.
...and a month after finishing the project in record time they completed a quick sale of the boat to a new owner.

I would have as dim a view of the plastic tops and one should have of the condition of the underlying decks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Certified...in several regards...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 09-14-2018
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
But the main reason is that when the times come to replace them at 20 to 30 years the cost is enormous. We are talking circa 1k $ US PER FOOT.
It should be noted that is not per foot of boat but per foot of PLANK.

I love the look of teak decks and I laid a flush teak deck on the first boat I built.

I would never have one again - work, rotting sub deck, work, cost, work, cost........
oysterman23 likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #13 of 28 Old 09-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbarton View Post
The only problem with that approach is that I would have to buy one brand new...
If you are going to buy new, might as well consider a teak deck. It's the 20 year old teak decked boats you want to avoid. It seems like a problematic teak deck is similar a boat needing a new engine. It's going to cost you lots of money and time.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 28 Old 09-15-2018

All teak decks are not the same either. I believe that HR uses thick individual boards, which is the best way to go. If properly cared for, these decks can last 30 years, maybe more. Even when tired, the caulking can be reefed out and reapplied. The boards are thick enough to be surface sanded back to essentially new condition. This isnít cheap, but itís a small fraction of a new deck and much more accessible to DYI.

On the other hand, there are what I call teak paneling jobs (which my boat has). They are custom made sheets of thinner teak boards that are tongue and grove fit together, before they are laid on the deck. This is not to be confused with Teak Deck Systems, who will create an individual board pattern for your boat, already laid out on a backer, so it can be laid down in large sections. The version the Beneteau Group used/uses is less expensive and has little thickness for sanding. If I get around to replacing my deck, I will do it correctly and it will last the remainder of my sailing days.

Finally, if youíve ever been aboard an Amel, you might be surprised at the quality of totally fake teak. Itís enginnered into the side decks. Looks a bit plastic up close, but damn good from 10 feet away. Pretty sure itís nearly indestructible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 28 Old 09-15-2018

It seems like some sort of intervention counseling would be cheaper and easier.

I'm always looking for a boat that requires less maintenance, never more.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
The Following User Says Thank You to pdqaltair For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (09-17-2018)
post #16 of 28 Old 09-15-2018

Treak decks are a thing of the past that some think they still need. on the wooden boats teak was the best thing to make a desk out of much better then fur of pine with the canvas cover and sand in the paint. then came fiber glass decks and it was so much better but some still seem to think that a deck should be teak. putting teak on the deck of a boat os just not needed and creates another big maintenance nightmare.
RegisteredUser likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #17 of 28 Old 09-15-2018

Not sure I agree teak is antiquated. A wet teak deck feels much better under foot than most anything else. A good non-skid might be a bit stickier, but way more aggressive on your foot too. I also find non-skid sticks, until it doesnít, and you abruptly let go. Teak is more subtle and forces a better balance. There are also many versions of non-skid patterns I wouldnít trade for an ice rink.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #18 of 28 Old 09-15-2018

Teak deck has lots of holes that leak eventually...
post #19 of 28 Old 09-15-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailforlife View Post
Teak deck has lots of holes that leak eventually...
I believe that the original poster was asking about Hallberg Rassey which uses a glue down system which doesn't require a lot of holes. The issue with that system as it was explained to me is that they only use 10 mm planks. That works okay in a Northern climate where boats are out of service part of the year, in normal use real teak erodes between 1/16 and 3/32 per decade and so I would be concerned about having enough depth to allow the seam caulk to remain properly adhered.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #20 of 28 Old 09-16-2018

Been told Amel decking product is secret. Does anyone know anything about it? Of the synthetics Iíve seen whatís on this years Zlanders looks the best to my eye. Does anyone know what it is?
Weíre in the tropics part of the year. Know from visiting others boats teak and colored hulls definitely make boats hotter. Embrace your white chlorox bottle. Glad we specíd our non skid the lightest tan color we could find.
oysterman23 likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in