teak decks - how much work are they really? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 Old 09-17-2018

Re: teak decks - how much work are they really?

One thing I would worry about with teak decks is how big of a problem are they going to be when it comes time to sell the boat. There may be certain boats where teak decks really go with the classic style and buyers of those boats expect it (see below). But for a regular production cruising boat on the used boat market, I think a lot of potential buyers are going to run and run fast from teak decks. Which isn't a great quality for a boat if you do plan to sell it some day.

0f0f71768b9906ce72dc8dbe39106d8e
Minnewaska likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to caberg For This Useful Post:
kbbarton (09-18-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 09-17-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I believe that the original poster was asking about Hallberg Rassey which uses a glue down system which doesn't require a lot of holes. The issue with that system as it was explained to me is that they only use 10 mm planks. That works okay in a Northern climate where boats are out of service part of the year, in normal use real teak erodes between 1/16 and 3/32 per decade and so I would be concerned about having enough depth to allow the seam caulk to remain properly adhered.

Jeff
I believe you are correct about HR gluing down the planks rather than fastening with screws; that's been my understanding as well. And yes, HR boats are built in Sweden and probably spend more time out of the water than on (in that climate anyway)!
post #23 of 28 Old 09-17-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Been told Amel decking product is secret. Does anyone know anything about it? Of the synthetics I’ve seen what’s on this years Zlanders looks the best to my eye. Does anyone know what it is?
We’re in the tropics part of the year. Know from visiting others boats teak and colored hulls definitely make boats hotter. Embrace your white chlorox bottle. Glad we spec’d our non skid the lightest tan color we could find.
Recently, I spotted an Amel Super Maramu in my marina and the owner happened to be topside when I walked by. I specifically asked about the deck because I thought it was real teak. If memory serves, he said that the decks are actually molded in that pattern and the gelcoat is actually brown to make it look like teak. If true, THAT's the ticket! I don't know of any other manufacturer that does that.
outbound likes this.

post #24 of 28 Old 09-18-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

HR may very well use glue now--but they used to use screws. Thousands of screws. FWIW.
post #25 of 28 Old 09-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
HR may very well use glue now--but they used to use screws. Thousands of screws. FWIW.
Yep, tons of screws on my (former) 1998 HR34. Once it started to wear, replacing the teak plugs became a bit of a game.

We spent 2 years in the Carribean and 2-3 full years in Canada (fresh water). They never got too warm to walk on deck and I never wore shoes on board unless it was really cold. It did make the upper portion of the cabinets inside a bit warmer so we had to reorganize some storage.

Regular maintenance was mostly rinsing and infrequent cleaning with mild soap & a soft sponge, not really much different from fiberglass. Any little spots that started to look icky got a little bar keeper's friend, i.e., oxalic acid (like behind the rear most scupper). In the 5 years that we owned it, we did a boracol treatment once and gave it a light sanding once. HR manuals include a section on teak deck maintenance. The decks had 2 small spots & 1 one-foot section where the wood wore down a bit much so we had to replace some caulking where it pulled away from the wood.

The traction was far better than any nonskid that I've experienced. When buying the boat we really, really didn't want teak decks because of the suppposed maintenance. Having owned it, I'd gladly buy another boat with teak decks if they're in good shape and I'm not intending to sell it anytime soon. The resale market doesn't like teak decks and given the state of most 20+ year old teak decks that's totally reasonable.

Varnished teak is a totally different story. That's more work and gets to be a lot more work if neglected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 28 Old 09-18-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaM View Post
Yep, tons of screws on my (former) 1998 HR34. Once it started to wear, replacing the teak plugs became a bit of a game.

We spent 2 years in the Carribean and 2-3 full years in Canada (fresh water). They never got too warm to walk on deck and I never wore shoes on board unless it was really cold. It did make the upper portion of the cabinets inside a bit warmer so we had to reorganize some storage.

Regular maintenance was mostly rinsing and infrequent cleaning with mild soap & a soft sponge, not really much different from fiberglass. Any little spots that started to look icky got a little bar keeper's friend, i.e., oxalic acid (like behind the rear most scupper). In the 5 years that we owned it, we did a boracol treatment once and gave it a light sanding once. HR manuals include a section on teak deck maintenance. The decks had 2 small spots & 1 one-foot section where the wood wore down a bit much so we had to replace some caulking where it pulled away from the wood.

The traction was far better than any nonskid that I've experienced. When buying the boat we really, really didn't want teak decks because of the suppposed maintenance. Having owned it, I'd gladly buy another boat with teak decks if they're in good shape and I'm not intending to sell it anytime soon. The resale market doesn't like teak decks and given the state of most 20+ year old teak decks that's totally reasonable.

Varnished teak is a totally different story. That's more work and gets to be a lot more work if neglected.
Varnishing teak decks - wouldn't that make them really slippery when wet?
post #27 of 28 Old 09-18-2018
One of None

Funny, I read through, don't think anyone has even mentioned why teak is and has always been the choice for decks, probably ever since boats we're being built, maybe even Noah's Ark had teak decks but, we'll leave that to historians.

Teak is so desirable for boat decks large and small because it's naturally non-skid, it has almost no expansion contraction, it's loaded with silica and oils, does not need a finish, turns silver grey and almost never rots.

I don't think better living through chemistry has come even close to making a synthetic material equal to teak

Because of supply and demand the cost of teak is out of this world for the average person. There are other countries, were whole boats are built out of teak! I love it, I think it's wonderful but I would never have it on a older boat deck.

IMO, Thin plank teak decks (could be called veneer) have been invented because of the cost of solid teak.
Minnewaska likes this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #28 of 28 Old 09-20-2018 Thread Starter

Just as an FYI, I had a conversation with another HR broker in the same office, who said that there is no option for deleting the teak decks on a new build boat, so your options are down to: teak, or teak. Oh well!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in