Top down spinnaker furlers - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 09-15-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Top down spinnaker furlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
FWIW - I remember watching the start of the Sydney/Hobart race I think two years ago and several boats had problems with the furling asymms - and these are professional racers with presumably the best gear and lots of practice - certainly more practice than those of us on these forums. At least with a sock if you get an hourglass you can pull the sock down and shake it out with the sheet.

2016 Rolex Sydney Hobart Start - YouTube - go to about 44min mark and watch all the troubles unfurling

And the year before: Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race - Start 2015 - YouTube start at around 40min mark.
Yeah it looks like they were having some issues, but at the same time they are using those systems in much more extreme conditions than the average cruiser would. The scale is much bigger and the loads are greater, however it would be interesting to know what was causing the problems they were having.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 09-15-2018

they both seem to be having the problem of back wrap. In the first video they could not even get it to start to unfurl , second video they got the twist in the middle and that is just a mess to straighten out. almost can't do it on the boat. to prevent this we would unfurl at the dock and refurl with great car so the next unfurl would go right. This is the most if not the only real problem with the top down furl. never happens to a Code zero because they are bottom up furl. I had a center furl spinnaker and it did not have the problem but was harder to get a tight furl. with center furl you are winding the sail from the center and so only have half the length of the torque rope that is doing the winding up so not as much wind up in the rope as a full length top down furl. the fuller the cut of the sail the harder the sail is to top down furl. Our A2 .75 oz cloth is the worst the A5 1.5oz cloth never a problem. the lighter the fabric the more you will have problems. the greater the windspeed the more torque it takes to get the furl to start to furl so the more wind up of the torque and then the more back wrap you can get. so far with the Harken the most wind up i have seen is about half a turn. with some of the others I have tested there can be several turns before the sail starts to furling if you have a tight furl that you think is a good furl when those several turns are allowed to un twist they get the sail all twisted inside it self and it will not unfurl just a seen in the video.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #13 of 25 Old 09-15-2018

Like I said, those are professional sailors with lots of practice and experience - more than any of us on here. And they still had problems - so these can be problematic even with the best prep/testing/setup as I am sure these crews had with all the money at stake.

post #14 of 25 Old 09-16-2018

I have been very pleased with the Selden bowsprit and GX furler I installed on my Catalina 34. I was initially nervous about splicing the torque line but the instructions were through and clear and I ultimately had no problems. I took the opportunity of adding the swivel tack line which allows for easy adjustment (from the cockpit). I added a short pendant spliced to the clew so I can roll up the sail and leave the sheets rigged to the boat when I store the sail. This eliminates a lot of rigging time so I set up the kite when I want to and not at the dock before I set sail. I can easily single hand this set up. I do “furl gybes” and if I have one small complaint, it takes a lot line to furl/unfurl my North G-2 which means I need to plan my gybes a little early when sailing downwind in the Oakland Estuary. The key is to have tension on the halyard so the torque line stays taught. My sock has since migrated over to my symmetric which has converted that sail to a double/triple handed sail.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #15 of 25 Old 09-17-2018
FLFrers36

I just installed Harken Reflex on my Frers 36, with DIY bowsprit. Love it. Now instead of 6 to race, only need 4
post #16 of 25 Old 09-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLFrers36 View Post
I just installed Harken Reflex on my Frers 36, with DIY bowsprit. Love it. Now instead of 6 to race, only need 4
Have you had any issues with back wrap?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
post #17 of 25 Old 09-17-2018
FLFrers36

If it backwraps, just re-furl and unfurl a little slower.
post #18 of 25 Old 09-18-2018

Quote:
If it backwraps, just re-furl and unfurl a little slower.
Have you had a back wrap with the Harken furler? I have not had one since getting the Harken but plenty with the other brands and once you have a back wrap Re- furling and trying again never worked. the Harken torque rope is very smooth so I can see where a re-fur lmight work with the Harken.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #19 of 25 Old 09-18-2018
FLFrers36

Not yet. Just quoted Harken manual
post #20 of 25 Old 09-18-2018

Quote:
Not yet. Just quoted Harken manual
OK, but I don't know of anyone whose had a backwrap and been able to clear it that easily. Most have said the sail has to come down to fix. Don't know why Harken would be any different.

ProFurl says the balls on their torsion line prevent backwrap. Anyone have experience with the ProFurl unit?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in