Top down spinnaker furlers - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 10-06-2018

Re: Top down spinnaker furlers

FYI, we watched Harken demo their Reflex unit on a Jeanneau at the Annapolis boat show this week. Very small chute, as the boat was stationary (docked). They had one rep on the sheet, and one on the furl line. They started unfurl with the furl line, and eventually went to the sheet pull to finish. Second time they did it, it back furled. They corrected easily by furling it back, then second try. Seemed they needed to control both the furl line and the sheet when unfurling. Looks like a two person system to me.

ProFurl says the balls alleviate back furl. But you end up with a 3 ft diameter spin coil, as the balls don't allow it to be any tighter. That means no passing furled spin down the hatch. Harken furled spin folds into sausage shape to go into bag or down hatch easily.

I don't know which one I'm going with.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 10-07-2018

For those of you who are fans of the sock rather than the top-down furler, have you had issues with jibing the sail? I have read that the plastic ring at the bottom of the sock can foul the headstay or the genoa furler when jibed. It's s a big clunky thing up there and it's hard to see what's really going on from the deck. Is this an actual issue? It seems to me that jibing by passing the asym around in front of the boat (clew of the sail goes out in front) rather than passing the clew of the spinnaker through the slot between the headstay and the luff of the spinnaker might minimize chances of interference. Or am I way off-base here?
post #23 of 25 Old 10-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvon View Post
For those of you who are fans of the sock rather than the top-down furler, have you had issues with jibing the sail? I have read that the plastic ring at the bottom of the sock can foul the headstay or the genoa furler when jibed. It's s a big clunky thing up there and it's hard to see what's really going on from the deck. Is this an actual issue? It seems to me that jibing by passing the asym around in front of the boat (clew of the sail goes out in front) rather than passing the clew of the spinnaker through the slot between the headstay and the luff of the spinnaker might minimize chances of interference. Or am I way off-base here?
I have always done outside gybe of my assym, can't se any good reason to try inside gybe unless you have weeeerery long bowsprit.
I use a Facnor furler with central furling line (not top down).

post #24 of 25 Old 10-08-2018

I have had no problems jibing with sock. However, mine is the north sails one which doesn't use the big plastic toilet seat.

I do outside jibes.
post #25 of 25 Old 10-08-2018

Inside sides are made easier with the furler. single handed I will use inside jibe by rolling up the sail at least half way during the jibe and that helps control the sheet and sail to get between the sprit and the forestay. with an outside jibe the lazy sheet needs to be controlled so it does not get under the boat or hooked on the anchor if stored on the bow

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in