Simpson Lawrence gypsy not matching chain - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 09-27-2018 Thread Starter
Planning my escape

Simpson Lawrence gypsy not matching chain

We have an SL Horizon 1000 with a 3/8 Gypsy. Recently we replace the chain with G4 and we are having problems with the chain not fitting the gypsy properly. After every 4 or 5 links pass through, it jumps, skipping a link. The previous chain was G4 also. The manual indicates either BBB or HT (which is G4). Has anyone else had a problem with new chain not matching their gypsy? Is it a problem to have it skip? I'm afraid it's going to damage the windlass and with 250' of chain and a 46' boat I'm not keen on hauling it in by hand!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 09-27-2018

Re: Simpson Lawrence gypsy not matching chain

The link size is different between G4 and BBB, so there seems to be a mismatch. Many windlasses can interchange the wildcat (the part that grabs the chain) for different sizes and types of chain. Perhaps the manual is suggesting you could fit either wildcat, but I don't think it's trying to say it will do either universally.

You say you previously had G4 chain as well. Did it skip then too? I've heard rumor of mislabled chain, perhaps you have a BBB wildcat. Perhaps its not for 3/8 chain at all.

Just guessing. Bottom line, you don't want it constantly jumping, as you describe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 36 Old 09-27-2018
Master Mariner

It sounds as though your previous chain was BBB. Are you absolutely positive it was G4?
The chains are very different (link length and links per foot, hence weight per foot) and the gypsy is not interchangeable. BBB is specifically manufactured as anchor chain, while G4 is not, though it is used as anchor chain by many.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 36 Old 09-27-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
....... BBB is specifically manufactured as anchor chain, while G4 is not, though it is used as anchor chain by many.
Thatís interesting. Canít you explain this more thoroughly? I know G4 is heat treated, which is different, but I wasnít aware of itís lack of applicability. Seems odd, as windlass are designed for it,
and everyone markets it as anchor chain.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 36 Old 09-27-2018
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
That’s interesting. Can’t you explain this more thoroughly? I know G4 is heat treated, which is different, but I wasn’t aware of it’s lack of applicability. Seems odd, as windlass are designed for it,
The important difference, at least as far as a windlass gypsy is concerned, is the size of the link.

Chain has two critical dimensions, the diameter of the metal that makes the link, in this case 3/8" and more critical for fit in a gypsy, the length of the link. G4 links are longer than BBB links and will not fit in the same gypsy, at least for the same metal diameter.

I have a SL windlass and I can fit 3/8" BBB or 5/16" G4 which have almost identical link lengths. I cannot use 3/8" G4 in that gypsy.

Last edited by skipmac; 09-27-2018 at 10:39 AM.
post #6 of 36 Old 09-27-2018
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Thatís interesting. Canít you explain this more thoroughly? I know G4 is heat treated, which is different, but I wasnít aware of itís lack of applicability. Seems odd, as windlass are designed for it,

Oh, and regarding suitability for anchor chain, G4 is just fine. I think what Capta is referring to is BBB link dimensions and standard windlass gypsies are designed to be compatible whereas G4 will work but isn't specifically designed for fit in a standard gypsy.
post #7 of 36 Old 09-27-2018

That is an old windlass and the gypsy is probably pretty worn, so it is possible that the new chain sits a bit higher in it than the old and is skipping on the top of the worn teeth.

The RC162 SL Horizon gypsy could use 3/8" BBB but not 3/8" HT (G4) chain. The RC172 could take either 5/16" BBB or 5/16" HT. We had both and found the RC172 could also handle 10mm BBB in a new gypsy, and the RC162 could also take 5/16" proof coil.

If you really were previously using 3/8" G4, my bet is that your gypsy is worn, or that your previous chain was 10mm and not 3/8".

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #8 of 36 Old 09-27-2018

For those who don't have experience with Simpson-Lawrence gypsies, they have a unique design that makes them the most tolerant and broadly accepting gypsies I've come across. So it isn't unusual for them to take a wide variety of chain standards, sizes, and dimensions - where many other gypsy brands are far more restrictive and severe in requirements.

Mark
capta likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #9 of 36 Old 09-27-2018
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
For those who don't have experience with Simpson-Lawrence gypsies, they have a unique design that makes them the most tolerant and broadly accepting gypsies I've come across. So it isn't unusual for them to take a wide variety of chain standards, sizes, and dimensions - where many other gypsy brands are far more restrictive and severe in requirements.

Mark
I have an older SL windlass and that is definitely my experience. The links per foot and link diameter between 3/8" BBB and 5/16" G4 are close but certainly not identical but both work perfectly in my gypsy.
post #10 of 36 Old 09-27-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
G-4 is manufactured as a lifting chain, for cargo and heavy lifting, where weight per foot is of no consequence, but strength is. BBB anchor chain with it's shorter links and heavier weight per foot is the standard for anchor chain.
For some reason the yachting fraternity decided a stronger chain, though not actually strong enough to make any significant difference for most of our vessels should the chain come tight between the boat and anchor without a snub line, was better, though lighter per foot.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Tags
gypsy doesn't match links , simpson lawrence windlass

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in