Phone/Tablet Navigation - Page 4 - SailNet Community
View Poll Results: Should I stick with Apple or go with Samsung/Android.
Apple 12 48.00%
Samsung 9 36.00%
Other (and please give me some hints 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 Old 10-14-2018

Re: Phone/Tablet Navigation

I use a Samsung tablet running Android (ver 7) with the Navionics boating app for a Chart Plotter. The Navionics app is really easy to use and inexpensive ($15). I have the tablet mounted above the companion way, but can take it below deck and still have no problem getting GPS reception. I applied a NuShield anti-glare screen protector to help with visibility in bright sun light.

Normally I am just out for a day sail and have no need for the Chart plotter function. In these cases I have the Android tablet running a free app called "Boat Speed" which gives a large and easy to read SOG and compass heading.

When done sailing the Tablet comes home with me and I can still run the Navionics app from home to do any planning/perusing of waters I may be interested in.
RegisteredUser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 10-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
If you're looking for a cheap Android table (similar to Kindle Fire) with GPS, Barnes and Noble's Samsung Galaxy Tab A NOOK 7" has it. List price is $129, but occasionally goes on sale for $99 (especially around the holidays).

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sam...=9780594762157
Sounds attractive. Current price is 109.- Did you try it? Does it work with OpenCPN? How about in sunlight? Also, I see it has only 8GB memory, is that a problem?

I have a crappy cheap thing ('IRULU') which has a poor digitizer. This is very annoying, you never know whether it ignored your tapping or something else went wrong. Previously, it did work with OpenCPN but now only raster charts work. I think I am done fighting this thing and ready for a new one. It's one saving grace is that it has 16MB memory. If this BN/Samsung works reliably with OpenCPN and the screen is not too bad, it may get on my Black Friday list...

Last edited by MastUndSchotbruch; 10-14-2018 at 10:38 PM.
post #33 of 40 Old 10-15-2018

There seem to be a lot of misconceptions about Android coming from Apple users! My family has owned many android devices over the years, going way back to the first generation Samsung Galaxy Tab and every one of them has had built in GPS. I have never seen an android device that does not have gps!

I currently have a Samsung 7" tablet that I got for free when I bought my Galaxy S7, and both devices are running Navionics. I bought an Otterbox for the tablet which gives it good protection from the elements, and the case is rubberized so it is rugged and doesnt slide around if you put it down.

I find Navionics Android very good for route planning, and for quick reference when checking for depths, locations of reefs etc. The tides and currents feature is particularly useful in our area where passes and narrows have strong currents that need to be timed correctly. The accuracy is very good, and pretty much always agreed with my main chart plotter on position, speed and course.

I still have paper charts on board, but I have never felt the need to pull them out. Of course we are not crossing oceans, we are just coastal cruisers!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
SanderO and RegisteredUser like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #34 of 40 Old 10-15-2018

The iPad works quite well and we have had no trouble getting a signal below decks. The one issue we've had is that on any kind of a sunny day the iPad overheats and starts giving warnings relatively quickly if it is in the cockpit and we are not careful to keep it in the shade. It seems much more sensitive than the Garmin chartplotter. Good backup though.
post #35 of 40 Old 10-20-2018

Our iPad is in a Lifeproof case and held by Ram mount. It runs Navionics. But the red curser (us) will not appear until I turn on the GarminGlo receiver. What am I missing when folks say that iPads already have gps?

1985 C&C 35 MK 3 #150
LIS
post #36 of 40 Old 10-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemier View Post
I use an iPad with iSailor charts, and find it outstanding.
Last year I was on a delivery from Norway to Singapore and used the iPad/iSailor combo for the entire 9125 miles. Zero issues.
Nemier, what do you use for GPS? I've been using a iPad with iSailor charts and generally like it, especially the scalability in iSailor. However, I've tried using GarminGlo and more recently Vesper XB8000 for GPS, and have connectivity issues with both. The GarminGlo uses bluetooth and the Vesper is WiFi connected, so I don't think that it's the iPad or the GPS receiver, it must be something in the iSailor software. Or at least I think that's the problem. Do you have any ideas?

-- Bill
"Belle Voile"
PSC 34

Last edited by elliowb; 10-21-2018 at 01:51 AM.
post #37 of 40 Old 10-21-2018

Digital charting really depends on where and how you sail. Unless you are frequently sailing into new to you places... any digital device can work. The portable ones can be easily used anywhere in the cockpit. Fixed mounting is useful when one is trying to steer from the helm or tiller.

Personally I believe having hundreds of waypoints and doing route planning which is heavily promoted in marketing is largely unneeded. I find when I am heading out to some destination... I first evaluate the weather and then select a waypoint which gives me the best VMG to the waypoint. When motoring I can usually go directly to the waypoint. Tacking to a waypoint requires that you know your boat's behavior well and local conditions a bit and be aware of "stuff" which is off the rhumb line to the waypoint. For this one can conveniently refer to the chartplotter for any hazards which should inform you when to tack or gybe. If you are sailing where there are currents and your waypoint is miles off you will experience changing currents in most cases and you will have to account for this as well. I think sailing in changing current and wind conditions is dynamic and so "route planning" is a sort of fantasy unless you are motoring for waypoit to waypoint.

I have a "portable" fixed mount B&G plotter and a stationary one below at the nav station. I also used Navionics on Android. When I want to use a waypoint I program the below decks fixed mount plotter which had repeaters on the companionway dash so I can see course and speed to waypoint, xtrack, time to go and so on.. as well as COG and SOG. The course for the AP is set by me not the GPS plotter. If I am heading for a waypoint... such as a landfall to a channel entry buoy... I use the heading line of the plotter set to infinity and adjust the AP so that the course heading line intersects the waypoint. If sailing I then trim for max speed. No need to enter a waypoint... just use the course heading line. When doing this in cross currents I will have to slowly change the AP setting to keep the course line intersecting the waypoint. Setting a waypoint will generate numbers while using the course heading line approach is entirely graphic.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #38 of 40 Old 10-21-2018

Dock

I use iSailor on an iPhone X and iPad 6 inch... the iPad is the type with cellular capability so it has built in gps. I also have an IPad mini which does not have built in gps. I use a Garmin Glo with all of these, haven't had problems with the connection.

Jim & Jacquelyn Eaton
s/v Pendragon
Anchorage Marina
Baltimore, MD
post #39 of 40 Old 03-12-2019
H34 'Spirit'

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jppp View Post
Our iPad is in a Lifeproof case and held by Ram mount. It runs Navionics. But the red curser (us) will not appear until I turn on the GarminGlo receiver. What am I missing when folks say that iPads already have gps?
Not *all* iPads have gps. Only the ones with cellular capability have GPS. This is not the case with Android, where almost all devices nowadays have GPS built in.

You can tell if your iPad is one with cellular+GPS by looking at the back - does it have a black strip across the top? If yes, you have the GPS version. If no, you don't.
post #40 of 40 Old 03-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJunk View Post
...You can tell if your iPad is one with cellular+GPS by looking at the back - does it have a black strip across the top? If yes, you have the GPS version. If no, you don't.
I've never heard this, so I just checked my cellular enabled ipad, with integrated gps. It does not have this stripe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in