Phone/Tablet Navigation - SailNet Community
View Poll Results: Should I stick with Apple or go with Samsung/Android.
Apple 12 48.00%
Samsung 9 36.00%
Other (and please give me some hints 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 10-02-2018 Thread Starter
HANUMAN

Phone/Tablet Navigation

I'm currently an apple user, PC, tablet, phone. All are ready for an upgrade. I am on the fence as to stick with IOS or move over to the dark side. I drive a Chevy Bolt and up until a few days ago Apple car play would only run apple maps and ignorant siri, so I was seriously considering Android strictly for Waze and Google maps on Android Auto.

Aside from hating Apple maps, the single most important thing for me is backup navigation. The camera, memory, processor is really not that big of a deal when comparing comparable models.

The iPad stays down below for backup but mainly for trip planning for the next weekend. I don't go more than a daysail or three away from Mystic, CT.

The iPhone keeps inavx running and sits next to the chart plotter on my boat or running in my pocket if someone else is at the helm or I'm on someone else's boat.

I am also planning a major electronics upgrade in the spring. The new chart plotter and radar will definitely have wifi. I'm even considering Furuno first watch and a tablet now that there is chart plotter software that will overlay.

Android or Stick with Apple?

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 10-02-2018

Re: Phone/Tablet Navigation

Rob, I use Android and prefer it as a phone system.

That being said, I don't think Nav apps are quite there yet for Android. I installed my Samsung tablet at my nav station as a backup nav system just to try it last year as I already owned the tablet. At the time only Isailor was available as a viable alternative to Inavx. It works, but nowhere near as good an interface as InavX running on an old Ipad. And it is buggy and crashes at times. InavX was released this year for Android and I excitedly downloaded it. Unfortunately, again it is nowhere near what it is on the Ipad version. Very simple in comparison and buggy. I most likely will be investing soon in an inexpensive Ipad to replace the Android and run the Apple version of InavX. I just don't think it is there yet for Android - no fault of the hardware, just seems the developers aren't doing much to develop good nav software for it.
RobGallagher likes this.
post #3 of 40 Old 10-02-2018

I use an android based Sonim XP7 for about the last 3 1/2 years. The phone is awesome. Also use a Samsung tablet but for planning purposes only.

The Sonim phone is awesome, but I am kind of thinking about getting a new app as current app is dated.

https://sonimtech.com/index.php/prod...ice/SonimXP7_3
RobGallagher likes this.

post #4 of 40 Old 10-02-2018

Dock

I've been pondering a similar question and I'm leaning strongly towards apple products mainly because of GPS availability. So far as I've found, GPS is an add-on, or rare feature in android tablets, but iPads (except for those with wifi only) all have GPS.

I've heard others echo Lazerbrains observations about the software although I haven't done any comparisons.
RobGallagher likes this.
post #5 of 40 Old 10-02-2018
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

ALWAYS have paper charts as a backup and maintain a running plot.

Why well lack of electrons/lightening strike/water where water should not be.

Yes I am a dinosaur but a dino who knows where he is at all times.
RobGallagher and mbianka like this.
post #6 of 40 Old 10-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
I've been pondering a similar question and I'm leaning strongly towards apple products mainly because of GPS availability. So far as I've found, GPS is an add-on, or rare feature in android tablets, but iPads (except for those with wifi only) all have GPS.

I've heard others echo Lazerbrains observations about the software although I haven't done any comparisons.
Phil - All Android tablets and phones I have used have GPS built in. It is not an add on on Android devices, nor is it rare.
oysterman23 and mbianka like this.
post #7 of 40 Old 10-02-2018

I'm in this boat, android or apple. Did a google search IPAD with GPS, apple site iPad 6th gen has "Assisted GPS and GLONASS" when the iPad comes with WI-fi and cellular.iPad uses the location and time information from a wi-fi node and or cell tower to acquire the GPS and GLONASS satellites. I can live with that. Hopefully it stores the almanac so next time its powered up acquisition is faster. Next question: Will an iPad acquire the GPS signal while it is below deck? If not can an external antenna be added, same question applies to an android device. If the inability to acquire below deck is true perhaps the solution is to have an external GPS receiver.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.

Last edited by Skipper Jer; 10-02-2018 at 01:27 PM.
post #8 of 40 Old 10-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Jer View Post
If one is out of range of the cell towers can one still have a lat/long derived from GPS?
Yes with both Apple and Android. They work using the GPS, no need for cell signal.
RobGallagher likes this.
post #9 of 40 Old 10-02-2018

Dock

Assisted GPS uses tower signals to expedite initial lock. Supposed to be faster than just searching satelites. Unimportant once the device knows where it is.
RobGallagher likes this.

Last edited by PhilCarlson; 10-02-2018 at 01:33 PM.
post #10 of 40 Old 10-03-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
I'm currently an apple user, PC, tablet, phone. All are ready for an upgrade. I am on the fence as to stick with IOS or move over to the dark side. I drive a Chevy Bolt and up until a few days ago Apple car play would only run apple maps and ignorant siri, so I was seriously considering Android strictly for Waze and Google maps on Android Auto.
FWIW, Siri has gotten a lot smarter with my iPhone 8 using CarPlay on my one year old Buick. Waze is not supported, as you know, but my iPad can provide that separately. I do prefer Apple Maps over the GM navigation system that is built in, as it displays speed limits, time to go and ETA. Siri nails the destination the first time and is exceptionally user friendly for navigation—-head and shoulders above my older dash-mounted Garmin.

I use Garmin Blue Chart Mobile on the iPad and it is OK, but the charting isn’t the best or most user-friendly. My built in chartplotter is a lot better and it is fully integrated with the sailing instruments and AP. My weather-proof chartplotter backup is a Garmin Oregon with its tiny 3” screen.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in