Mainsail halyard shackle - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 10-11-2018

Re: Mainsail halyard shackle

Let's see, sailed from St Pete to Norfolk, SF to Newport beach 3 times, SD to French Polynesia and back to Hawaii, SF to Kona and all the sailing in between with tied on halyards. Yeah, I think knots work just fine for halyards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 10-11-2018

Halyard knot on double braid is a no brainer.
oysterman23 likes this.
post #13 of 31 Old 10-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Let's see, sailed from St Pete to Norfolk, SF to Newport beach 3 times, SD to French Polynesia and back to Hawaii, SF to Kona and all the sailing in between with tied on halyards. Yeah, I think knots work just fine for halyards.
Not so simple with high tech like dyneema - no way one should just throw in a typical knot like a bowline on those.

Mark
pdqaltair likes this.

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 31 Old 10-11-2018

I have been using a 'halyard knot' for all four, for over 15 years. We have a main, jib, and two spinnaker wing halyards. Way back when, I replaced all the original wire-to-rope halyards with T-900. I remove them and wash and end-for-end each one, every few years. No problems.
Our main halyard shackle is like the second one in the OP's post.
bristol299bob likes this.

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
post #15 of 31 Old 10-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
You know it's funny but I had not even considered that, but I like it for simplicity sake. Any concern regarding chafe with the headboard? Mine is similar to this: .
While you could tie the halyard directly to the headboard, I was suggesting you tie it to the shackle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
bristol299bob (10-12-2018)
post #16 of 31 Old 10-12-2018

Mark has a point about splicing used double braid when you end-for-end. If your halyards run inside the mast, you would not be able to presplice both ends and be able to pass the new halyard through the mast fittings.

My halyards have an in-line loop at the bitter end (can use multiple passes with whipping line). I pull the internally run halyards at the end of the season, replacing them with 1/8 Dacron braid messengers. That gets the halyards out of the weather during the winter and you can wash the them to remove dirt and salt and keep the halyards soft. I have not had a chafe problem.
bristol299bob and oysterman23 like this.
post #17 of 31 Old 10-12-2018

IMHO All the above comments have good merit.
1. The simplest is a Halyard knot weather tied to a shackle or direct to the headboard.
2. Splicing in new double braid or dyneema style line is very easy like a cup of coffee, to splice older double braid can be difficult once it looses its flexibility.
3. It is not a bad idea reverse - end for end you halyards from time to time, but if you are getting chafing on your lines then there are other issues that need to be addressed.
post #18 of 31 Old 10-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Not so simple with high tech like dyneema - no way one should just throw in a typical knot like a bowline on those.

Mark
Yup, but as you said, those are simple as brewing coffee. So no problem, there is an easy solution, one way of the other. No excuse no to trim the end of the halyard.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #19 of 31 Old 10-13-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Honestly, this is my first time seeing mention of a halyard knot. Currently I'm using a buntline hitch on my halyards to attach the shackle, with the plan to just cut it off and retie if needed since the knot only takes up a few inches of line. It's compact enough that chafe really isn't an issue.

Any merits of the halyard knot over a buntline hitch, or vice versa?

Back to the OP - I had the second shackle in your pic for a while. The previous owner had them attached with bowlines. I wanted less chance for chafe and a little more room before the knot hit the masthead (I have a little 22' trailer sailer), so I used a compact knot.

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
post #20 of 31 Old 10-13-2018

Side note on the halyard knot...
Can also make a long one to be used as a ladder rung for dinghy or boat...ok barefooted.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in