Mainsail halyard shackle - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 10-13-2018

Re: Mainsail halyard shackle

A halyard knot is a slip knot - how does that work as a ladder rung?

An anchor hitch is also a good knot for this purpose and can be used with high tech lines.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 10-13-2018

The knot is the bottom of the triangle...or box.
It creates the bulk and stiffness.
Make tight wraps
post #23 of 31 Old 10-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezz View Post
...Any merits of the halyard knot over a buntline hitch, or vice versa?....
You sort of hit on it, in your description of the Buntline. It is way more likely to jam than a halyard knot. You should be able to get a halyard knot untied. At worst, you use a spike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #24 of 31 Old 10-13-2018

The halyard knot also makes for a spiffy and fast stopper knot.
Also useful for grabbing/hand holds and climbing.
Under extended heavy load i would consider it a permanent knot. Ginsu it and tie another.
On the 7th day, when at rest, Baby Jesus tied the halyard knot....
post #25 of 31 Old 10-13-2018

Maybe I'm missing something. This is what I think of as a halyard knot, and it is a slip knot. I'm not sure how it acts as a stopper or ladder or hand hold or similar. On second look, I can see it acting as a stopper knot, albeit a large and complicated one.

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

post #26 of 31 Old 10-13-2018

We could very well be talking about different knots.
To me, what ive used, is in my feeble mind similar to a whipping..with something left out.
Its not promoted as i did, only as an 'ending', but it has more viable uses.
So i guess 1st thing is agree on the same knot...
Iirc, animated knots shows the halyard knot.
Another possibility is that ive been doing it all wrong...
post #27 of 31 Old 10-13-2018

I have been using a bowline this whole time. Directly to the head of the sail. Never gave it much thought.

Looking at the dynamics of the illustrated halyard knot/hitch, I wonder if it might not be the best choice for folks like me who skip the shackle. Seems like it could twist and or chaffe the sail with the absence of a shackle.
post #28 of 31 Old 10-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
.... Seems like it could twist and or chaffe the sail with the absence of a shackle.
What gives you that impression? Think itís roughly the same size knot as a bowline, with a smaller loop.

I use a bowline to tie the sheets to the Genoa, because the loop isnít size restricted. One advantage of the halyard knot is that it will cinch down on the shackle or head of the sail and take as little room at the masthead as possible. When the head of the sail is extremely close to the sheave or block, this matters. In some cases, it even requires a splice, as the neck of the splice has to enter the sheave/block.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #29 of 31 Old 10-14-2018

I reverse all my working lines. I specíd them longer than needed to allow resplicing. Even having done this I feel the main halyard is the one line I never,never want to fail. It would be a major headache on passage and a catastrophic event if someone is up the mast. So it gets replaced on a schedule.
This year it was replaced and went with dyneema. It has a chaff sleeve around the eyesplice and up for ~5í. At full sail both the block and splice are covered. Itís in a solid cast block. Bending metal makes it weaker. Shackle pins are weaker than the shackle. The pin gets a last twist with a pliers then a bright zip tie on passage. The end is filed to be smooth. If itís not there the sail comes down and we look. Itís yet to come down for that reason. It goes up for days and doesnít come down so this isnít an inconvenience. In weather this is one thing I donít want to worry about.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #30 of 31 Old 10-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
What gives you that impression? Think itís roughly the same size knot as a bowline, with a smaller loop.
Maybe just because I havent tried it. Most of the boats I have owned had spliced eyes.

The one or two I have owned without spliced eyes seemed to be tolerant of bowlines. I am willing to give the knot a try though.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in