They are expensive but pretty much the standard for sailing kayaks

BSD - BATWING? Sails, Product Details
jephotog and Arcb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 66 Old 10-23-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Sailing kayak

Did some good research today.

First, I went and looked at the fibreglass/kevlar boat. Didnt like it, not only was it narrow, but it was just a bad shape for sailing. So, I passed on that.

Then I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with a guy who designs, builds and installs carbon fibre sail rigs for kayaks. We discussed sail area, rudder sizing, technique, some other stuff. I learned plastic boats are a reasonable choice for a sailing kayak. At least with his design, no epoxy or fibreglass work is required. Some screw/bolt on parts. I gather any kayak; plastic, fibreglass, wood, CF can have deck support issues at the mast step. The solution is an adjustable carbon fibre strut (compression post) that kind of wedges into place and is removable. The strut supports the deck, then on top of the deck, but below the mast step is a plastic freindly self adhesive carbon fibre reinforcing deck patch. Then the mast step on top of that. Pretty simple really.

Then I went paddling and thought about it all.
post #13 of 66 Old 10-23-2018

Dock

B&B is working on an expedition sailing canoe. Might provide some inspiration/ideas .
Expedition Canoe | B&B Yacht Designs
Arcb likes this.

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThereYouAre For This Useful Post:
Arcb (10-23-2018)

post #14 of 66 Old 10-23-2018 Thread Starter

Cool. That boat can rip. Nice find Thereyouare.

In the short article I noticed some note worthy features. 60lb hull with a 26 inch beam and 17'9 LOA were interesting data points. Not too far from the base hull I am looking at with a 17' hull, 24 inch beam and 65 lb hull weight.

Some interesting observations I saw in the vid. It looked like he operated the leeboard with his foot at one point, guessing his hands were busy. Must be foot pedal steering, but hard to tell from vid. The reefing system was interesting. No need for sail ties as there was some kind of single line sail tie arrangement. The amas were on a pivot, which I have seen before. From the article said the amas were made by blue foam then sealed in.

1200 miles with a 20 mile portage in just over 18 days. Works out to averaging about 67 miles a day.

Impressive boat.
post #15 of 66 Old 10-23-2018

Dock

It's definitely foot steering. You can see lots of interesting details in the construction gallery.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...Y3NlpHbjU5R2pB
Arcb likes this.

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThereYouAre For This Useful Post:
Arcb (10-23-2018)
post #16 of 66 Old 10-25-2018 Thread Starter

I got the boat I am going to use for this project today. I test drove a bunch of boats, but thought this one offered good value and is well suited to modification. The boat is easily driven through the water, I paddled 3 miles upwind into about 19 knot wind then 3 miles back and the boat was easily driven.

She is pretty narrow at 23 inches, but the high volume hull provides for what I thought was good secondary stability. She has lots of features for an inexpensive boat. Adjustable foot pegs, adjustable knee braces, manually retractable skeg, 3 water tight bulkheads, providing 3 cargo holds plus the cockpit, fully adjustable seat, predrilled for foot pedal rudder.

I don't think I am going to go straight into a full size sail rig and amas. My plan is to first purchase a very small carbon fibre rig and reaching sail and learn to sail the boat without lee board and outriggers. Then I will be in a better position to decide if the extra drag and weight of amas is worth the trade off. Also need to chose a rudder kit. I am told bigger is better for sailing.

I am considering this tiny sail rig from Australia, the Footlooose 80. Here are some guys playing in pacific swells off Australia with one.

Attached Thumbnails
Perception5.png   perception4.png   perception2.png   Perception1.png  
ThereYouAre likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 10-25-2018 at 06:36 PM. Reason: bad link
post #17 of 66 Old 10-25-2018

I should have also mentioned these that I really like. Reefable, stows automatically and has leeboards. Always a little bit pricier than I wanted but looks really nice.

https://www.kayaksailor.com/store/pc...p?idcategory=2
Arcb likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to tschmidty For This Useful Post:
Arcb (10-25-2018)
post #18 of 66 Old 10-25-2018 Thread Starter

Here is the first sail I tried out, about 3 weeks ago in my racing partners big Seaward (22 ft, 26 inch beam) I really liked it, very practical, affordable, but only good for about 100 degrees or so probably, so I wanted something with a more upwind performance, a lot more if I can figure out how to do that while keeping the boats paddling characteristics good.

post #19 of 66 Old 10-25-2018

How do you see where you're going? From the way the sail is spread, it looks like you could simply take one of those freestanding tents with the fiberglass support rods (which you were going to take with you anyway, for shelter on your camping adventure...) and set it up on the foredeck with the top pointing forward and some lines holding the bottom edges aft.
Arcb likes this.
post #20 of 66 Old 10-25-2018

That's one of the things I like about the kayak sailor one, is that it folds forward out of the way. They have a genoa and and it looks like it will have good upwind performance. I did a lot of research back in the day, and it seems like a really good call. I am almost talking myself into it...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in