Sailing kayak - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 68 Old 11-15-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Sailing kayak

The rig is installed. Took pretty well all day so I didn't get out to sail her. Drilled a total of 18 holes in my deck for; side stays, back stays, fairleads and cleats. Its pretty slick but I might need to wait until next week to sail her as all my local rivers (within 30 minutes are frozen over with a couple of inches of ice. Going to name her Switchblade.

Minnesail likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 11-15-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 68 Old 11-15-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereYouAre View Post
Are you going with foot steering in your sailing kayak? If so what setup are you going with? I'm debating whether to go with foot steering or a tiller for my triyak. I love the idea of being able to cleat the sheet and doing some hands free sailing but when I test sailed the CLC sailrig I found their foot steering setup lacked feel and could get gummed with sand.

thanks,
Hugh
Yes, for sure, foot pedal steering. I have not decided on a set up yet. Knoowledgeable folks are recomending I go with a tandem kayak rudder with my rig. I am kind of considering the Seaward tandem aluminum rudder. However, I am also considering the rudder that is made specifically for my boat for the sake of simplicity. Which is this one https://www.harmonygear.com/products...udder-Kit.html

For a Triak set up I wonder if the watertribe kayak sailing rudder might work for you? I am sure it would be overkill for my rig. The WaterTribe Rudder by Steve Isaac
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
ThereYouAre (11-15-2018)
post #53 of 68 Old 11-15-2018

Id go for 2 large downspouts, 1 off each corner...run em out away from the basement....skip the center one....

Sail rig looks spiffy
Jeff_H and Arcb like this.

Last edited by RegisteredUser; 11-15-2018 at 06:18 PM.

post #54 of 68 Old 11-16-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Id go for 2 large downspouts, 1 off each corner...run em out away from the basement....skip the center one....

Sail rig looks spiffy
My thought entirely on the downspout, but I am concerned that the sail area seems awfully small to be of much use,

Jeff
Minnesail and Arcb like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #55 of 68 Old 11-16-2018 Thread Starter

Who has time for downspouts ?

I am also curious about the rigs performance. The idea with this rig is its intended to compliment your paddling, not replace it. I don't have a good idea what kind of a speed boost to expect. 1 knot would be nice, 2 knots would be great. More than that would be even better.
post #56 of 68 Old 11-16-2018

How many miles per day? . . . . . . I'm tired already just thinking about this . . . .
post #57 of 68 Old 11-16-2018

Trying to think about being in ONE seated position for Quite a while . . .
post #58 of 68 Old 11-16-2018

Will the rudder be the only thing preventing leeway? Photo doesn't seem to show any other gear for that.
post #59 of 68 Old 11-16-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Will the rudder be the only thing preventing leeway? Photo doesn't seem to show any other gear for that.
The boat tracks pretty well. It has a retractable skeg operated from the cockpit, plus it has a v hull for the full length.
post #60 of 68 Old 11-17-2018 Thread Starter

The weather was against me, but I finally got the boat out for about a 3 hour sail today. My kayaking partner and I swapped boats half way through so he could try it out. It was easier than expected, we both were sailing within minutes of leaving the beach and he had never even been in my boat before.

I didn't take a GPS with me, but down wind I couldn't keep up paddling full out with him just sailing at one point. The boat sailed pretty well from a reach to a run. Forward of 90 the sail gave a noticeable boost to paddling speed. Sailing in 5-10 knots of wind I estimate about 3-4 knots of boat speed. When paddle sailing down wind it was pretty quick, beyond hull speed without too much effort.

I haven't bought a rudder, so steering was done mostly with edging (leaning) down wind and sweep strokes 90 degrees and above with some paddle bracing, dragging.

I took a bunch of video but most of it didn't turn out because of ice and snow build up on the lens and some technical challenges but I did get some useable footage.

Based on my initial testing, it looks like I am going to be happy with this rig as is once I add a rudder.

Last edited by Arcb; 11-17-2018 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Wonky link

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in