Sailing kayak - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 66 Old 11-26-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Sailing kayak

This set up continues to impress me not just for its performance but for its ease of use in a variety of conditions. We are at the end of a week long deep freeze. Temperatures have not been above freezing day or night for a week, with temps dropping to -17 one night. Nearly every local body of water is frozen over.

However, only a 10-15 minute drive from me is a sections of gravel swifts on a river where the current is strong and turbulent enough to resist freezing even in cold conditions. However, its a pain to get to. No normal sailboat would be able to get there, in part due to depth and also in part due to the ravine its in. First there is a 50 yard drag or carry from the parking lot to the river bank. Then a clamber down muddy, icy, slippery river bank to the waters edge, and then, but the boat and rig are so light I was able o get it in the water this morning without an excessive amount of effort and set the rig up at the waters edge before sailing away for a few hours. Wind gusts at the nearby airport were recorded up to 17 knots, although the ravine surely reduced that.

The boat had little difficulty sailing up river against the current in these conditions. I am still without rudder, so steering was through sail balance and leaning. I didn't push my luck with upwind sailing due to wind gusts, lack of sea room and water temp, but sailed her as high as a beam reach and she handled nicely.

Minnesail likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 11-26-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I haven't updated this thread in a bit, so I thought I would as the boat is pretty much a complete system now. The last pieces of the puzzle have just come together recently including a rudder, spray skirt for dirty weather and a proper racing paddle.

The rudder came together nicely. The rudder that I was interested in was pricey over $300 CDN, so I have been watching out for deals. A couple weeks ago, I happened across one, the only catch was it was attached to a used demo boat. Sweet, so I bought the boat which is a rather nice tandem kayak. So now, on week ends I can bring my son training with me on week ends, he seems happy to sit and play in the water, fish or whatever while I paddle, works for me. The rudder system is a fairly standard kayak rudder system. It uses cables lead to foot pedals, so you are steering with your feet because hands are busy with paddle. I think airplane rudders are the same deal, foot pedals control rudder. The rudder system is nylon, including the blade.

Spray skirt was an off the shelf item for my Kayak. For those not familiar with sea kayaks, they are fully decked boats, except for the cockpit which has a combing. You wear the spray skirt something like a skirt with suspenders and the hem attaches around the combing, creating a water tight seal, even when upside down, in theory self rescue is conducted by conducting a role with your paddle.

Possibly the most important detail was the paddle- the engine, along with the sail. I did a lot of research on this, books, paddling forums etc. At first I was looking at ergonomically designed bent shaft carbon fibre paddles. After chatting with some world record holders for distance paddling I decided not to go that way. I decided to go with a custom made western red cedar wood paddle. This type of paddle is known as a Greenland paddle the blades are quite narrow but long, basically shaped like airplane wings. On the power stroke you angle the paddle blades at about 30 degrees maybe, this creates lift on the forward edge of the paddle, much like a propeller or we as sailors are accustomed to our keels and sails doing. This effectively causes the boat to be both pushed through the water and pulled by the lift. And being custom made it is a perfect fit for me ergonomically. There are other bonuses too, but that's a big part of it.

Early on in the thread I roughly listed my specs. The final boat gets a lesser percentage of its power from the sail then I had originally envisioned and more power from its paddle. My testing so far seems to indicate that I should be able to meet my performance expectations. Maybe not 60 mile days, but consistent 45 mile days with higher potential on strong tail wind days. The boat doesn't seem to have much problem holding 5 knots on a run in a decent wind aft of the beam.

Here a quick look at her cruising along nicely with both the sail and paddle in play in light winds.

Minnesail likes this.
post #63 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Finally got this boat into a race. It went okay. The winds were too light to deploy my sail, so I just paddled old school. I finished in the middle of the pack. My paddling speed was 4.73 knots over 1 hour 26 minutes I was happy with my paddling speed, but I would like to let her rip with the sail next time.

RegisteredUser likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 1 Week Ago at 07:39 AM.

post #64 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago

Comparing your speed to what we observe around here, I'd call that pretty impressive paddling Arcb.
Arcb likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulinnanaimo For This Useful Post:
Arcb (1 Week Ago)
post #65 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

^^^ I was getting a pretty good boost from the current. Everyone is a bit quicker when they are falling down hill
post #66 of 66 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter

Here is another little vid I took while I was out sailing today. Nothing fancy. Running down wind, gybe, then round up onto a reach. There were a couple big gusts that required me to dump some wind.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in