porta-bote repair? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 Old 10-28-2018

Re: porta-bote repair?

I just went over the Eternabond site again and I canít find any description of the removable Mylar liner on any of the products. I also read about the primer and that seems to have to do with the material you are sticking to not the tape.

So I donít know whatís up. Maybe I got a bad batch or Iíll find the Mylar when I unwind the tape roll further.

But thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 Old 10-28-2018

OK, once again I must eat crow. It DOES have the Mylar. They held down the end of the tape with clear packing tape, which held down the clear Mylar and the tape came right off. I saw it once I got outside into the sunshine.

Anyway, I have made my repair. This the seam in the transome bladder all the way at the bottom at the keel. The material rips here due to bending. Now that Iíve ďdugĒ into this I see they take precautions this rip does not leak. I hauled up real hard on the transome bladder, there was some additional white tape in this joint. It was not fully adhered. I pulled it out best I could, sanded the area, and framed a bit Eternabond in there. Not a lot of faith in that repair.

On the outside I cleaned up the area around the rip, I scraped it pretty hard with a knife , cleaned it with acetone, let it dry, then applied the Eternabond over the rip. I did not try to cover anything except the bladder, I canít see anything holding over the riveted seams and thought it would only make things worse. I pressed the dickens out of it. I feels likes itís holding.

Iíll be happy if I get 6 months, then Iíll repeat. I do have a bit of tape left over, 49í 9Ē.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #23 of 25 Old 10-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I just went over the Eternabond site again and I can’t find any description of the removable Mylar liner on any of the products. I also read about the primer and that seems to have to do with the material you are sticking to not the tape.

So I don’t know what’s up. Maybe I got a bad batch or I’ll find the Mylar when I unwind the tape roll further.

But thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.
The removable backing is not mylar its just a clear plastic sheet which you can see the soft grey butly rubber adhesive through or a waxed paper. The face, which will be the outer surface on the roll, may be a woven material, aluminum foil or a fairly sturdy mylar plastic in white or a whatever color you chose. The tape used for pond liners for example will usually have the woven face which will provide a better base for the oil paint than the mylar face. As the video indicated sometimes the backing that covers the adhesive may not come off easily and this can be made worse if the roll was left out in the sun for an extended period of time.

The primer activates the bond between the butyl rubber and the surface your working on which is especially important when working on dirty or oxidized surfaces or with materials that do not work well with adhesives.

Perhaps this more detailed video will help:
https://youtu.be/jUvDzyiGb64

Last edited by SeaStar58; 10-28-2018 at 10:35 AM.

post #24 of 25 Old 10-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
OK, once again I must eat crow. It DOES have the Mylar. They held down the end of the tape with clear packing tape, which held down the clear Mylar and the tape came right off. I saw it once I got outside into the sunshine.

Anyway, I have made my repair. This the seam in the transome bladder all the way at the bottom at the keel. The material rips here due to bending. Now that I’ve “dug” into this I see they take precautions this rip does not leak. I hauled up real hard on the transome bladder, there was some additional white tape in this joint. It was not fully adhered. I pulled it out best I could, sanded the area, and framed a bit Eternabond in there. Not a lot of faith in that repair.

On the outside I cleaned up the area around the rip, I scraped it pretty hard with a knife , cleaned it with acetone, let it dry, then applied the Eternabond over the rip. I did not try to cover anything except the bladder, I can’t see anything holding over the riveted seams and thought it would only make things worse. I pressed the dickens out of it. I feels likes it’s holding.

I’ll be happy if I get 6 months, then I’ll repeat. I do have a bit of tape left over, 49’ 9”.
Great that you got it figured out. Cleanliness and prep is critical and you do have to press hard to ensure the butyl adhesive gets into any imperfections in the surface so it won't wick. Be sure to store the remainder with the wax paper rings covering the sides and in the original container if possible. I will ensure that the roll stays clean by putting it in a large zip lock freezer bag before putting it back in the box. Be sure to store in a cool dry place to limit the adhesive oozing out the sides over time.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 10-28-2018 at 10:45 AM.
post #25 of 25 Old 10-29-2018
Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
Courtesy of hurricane Florence I find myself in possession of two 10ft porta-botes, both damaged. I intend to make one usable bote from the parts.

Patient #1: has two tears/holes in the floor each about 4"x1"

Patient #2: the plastic transom is torn right along the seam. This patient is better condition overall but the tear along the seam means that the repair would be flexed/worked each time the bote is folded/unfolded.

Which patient would attempt to save? and how?
Years ago I installed a round deck plate [e.g., 3" in diameter] to the outside of the hull [so the cover was almost flush with the outside of the hull...] of my hard dink because many were being 'borrowed' in the area I was cruising.

By removing the deck plate cover [and taking it with me on shore...] and running a locking cable through the hole I was able to secure my dink. [Even if they cut the lock they wouldn't get far...]

It worked great.

Depending upon the location of the tears in the hull of patient #1, might you be able to install appropriately sized deck plates? [Using butyl tape as the sealant, and machine screws with acorn nuts (or SS rivet-nuts) as the fasteners...]

Just an idea that I have first hand experience withĖ but not in a Porta-Boat...

Cheers! Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in