Join Date: May 2005
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
Rep Power: 15
Re: porta-bote repair?
OK, once again I must eat crow. It DOES have the Mylar. They held down the end of the tape with clear packing tape, which held down the clear Mylar and the tape came right off. I saw it once I got outside into the sunshine.
Anyway, I have made my repair. This the seam in the transome bladder all the way at the bottom at the keel. The material rips here due to bending. Now that Iíve ďdugĒ into this I see they take precautions this rip does not leak. I hauled up real hard on the transome bladder, there was some additional white tape in this joint. It was not fully adhered. I pulled it out best I could, sanded the area, and framed a bit Eternabond in there. Not a lot of faith in that repair.
On the outside I cleaned up the area around the rip, I scraped it pretty hard with a knife , cleaned it with acetone, let it dry, then applied the Eternabond over the rip. I did not try to cover anything except the bladder, I canít see anything holding over the riveted seams and thought it would only make things worse. I pressed the dickens out of it. I feels likes itís holding.
Iíll be happy if I get 6 months, then Iíll repeat. I do have a bit of tape left over, 49í 9Ē.
33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter