porta-bote repair? - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 10-26-2018 Thread Starter

porta-bote repair?

Courtesy of hurricane Florence I find myself in possession of two 10ft porta-botes, both damaged. I intend to make one usable bote from the parts.

Patient #1: has two tears/holes in the floor each about 4"x1"

Patient #2: the plastic transom is torn right along the seam. This patient is better condition overall but the tear along the seam means that the repair would be flexed/worked each time the bote is folded/unfolded.

Which patient would attempt to save? and how?

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-26-2018

Re: porta-bote repair?

My initial thoughts are to repair both.

1..patch
2..pull staples and replace polypro transom sheet, seal etc
bristol299bob likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-26-2018

There is a tape used in roofing repair that is recommended for patching a Porta-Bote repair. Used it on my 16 year old Porta-bote myself. It's sticky and strong. Pretty sure it is this stuff: https://www.eternabond.com/RoofSeal-p/cr-rs.htm
Also used for RV repairs too. Looks like it can be useful on board too. Pretty strong stuff.

Mike
Currently: Spring Outfitting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 Old 10-26-2018

The best resource for getting that answer would be directly from the horses mouth.

Porta-Boat is still in business and does support the owners of their boats so why do a shade tree repair when you have that resource available to assist you in doing a 100% safe repair.
https://www.porta-bote.com/contact-us/
post #5 of 25 Old 10-26-2018

Polypropylene is notoriously difficult to glue - if you can somehow oxidize the surface, glue will stick much better. I recently fixed a Walker Bay (polyethylene I believe, similar problem) by quickly running a torch over the surface (be careful not to melt or set the whole boat on fire), but it worked like a charm with regular construction adhesive.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia
post #6 of 25 Old 10-26-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
The best resource for getting that answer would be directly from the horses mouth.

Porta-Boat is still in business and does support the owners of their boats so why do a shade tree repair when you have that resource available to assist you in doing a 100% safe repair.
https://www.porta-bote.com/contact-us/
I did call them. The only option they offer is to bring the bote to them and they will repair it (~$350 IIRC). They are in CA and I am NC so bringing it to them is not an option. So that leaves me to my own shade tree devices :-)

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #7 of 25 Old 10-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlassak View Post
Polypropylene is notoriously difficult to glue - if you can somehow oxidize the surface, glue will stick much better. I recently fixed a Walker Bay (polyethylene I believe, similar problem) by quickly running a torch over the surface (be careful not to melt or set the whole boat on fire), but it worked like a charm with regular construction adhesive.
Those are the instructions for HDPE (Starboard). Rough it up, clean it with a solvent, torch it, Scotch Weld.

No idea if that works for polypropylene.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #8 of 25 Old 10-26-2018

I have a PB with a leak in the transom, it’s in Grenada so importing stuff like Eternabond ( the PB recommenced repair), is a problem. I did get a roll and brought it back to Grenada along with a bunch more stuff I needed for the boat. I’ve not tried it yet, I’ve bigger issues.

First I didn’t find the guy at PB very helpful, I was kinda suprised at the attitude I got. I did buy a new PB because I freaking NEED a dingy. So I may end up with two.

I did try 5200 and that worked for a while, but that seam gets all the sand and other crap jammed into it. Very difficult to clean out.

I also tried melting/welding some other PE material into the crack. I used kitchen cutting board. Didn’t work, there was too much difference in melting temperatures between the two materials.

I know they do weld black PE water pipes. It know nothing of the process.

What DID work was Marine growth! Enough bottom growth and it would stop the leak. They should market the adhesive those organisms use, deadly tough stuff.
RegisteredUser and mbianka like this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 10-26-2018 at 02:54 PM.
post #9 of 25 Old 10-26-2018

So hereís one idea, not recommendation mind you, IDEA.

Start with patient #1. Get some sheet PE (onlinemetals.com) and cut it big enough to cover the holes plus enough to rivit. Do the same with some sheet aluminum, cut same size. Make a sandwich: PE/PB/AL. Use big washers on the outside.

Thatís the basic idea. Now maybe you can improve that. Put eterna tape on the inside of the rip and rivit the AL plate on the inside. Or eternatape inside and out with AL inside and out.

The worst you can do is wreck a wrecked hull, maybe you can do some good. In the meantime you can think about, ponder if you will, how to fix the other PB.

Good luck.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #10 of 25 Old 10-26-2018

Imho....

If youre going to rivet the porta bote, id use many rivets and largish backing and front plate/patch.
The polypro hull flex can be hell on mechanical fasteners.

The right, strong adhesive may be all that you need. Clamp it down and let it set up.

..edit..
If you cant find the polypro sheeting for thr transom, maybe look into epdm. This isnt a structural component of the boat...just seals.

Last edited by RegisteredUser; 10-26-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in