Is this a healthy Catalina 22 hull/keel? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 11-19-2018

Re: Is this a healthy Catalina 22 hull/keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJunk View Post
Sorry about that. It's an '84. I don't know if a paid survey is on the cards since it's only a $4k-5k boat. I don't have the cash in my budget for that. I've gone over the boat pretty thoroughly and this is my only concern at this point.
Do a better job than the previous guy on scraping, sanding and pressure washing the old paint and it will look a lot better along with last longer when you re-coat it. An Ablative paint chalks to prevent marine organisms from bonding to the hull and not loose its effectiveness when stored in the boat yard. It does rub off and stain you skin and clothes.

Be more concerned about soft spots in the hull, the condition of the centerboards lift cable/pivot pin/lock pin/bushing and the centerboard trunk especially where the centerboard hits it when fully lowered along with all the bushing locations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 11-20-2018

The cheaper the boat, the more you need a survey. Just sayin'

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #13 of 31 Old 11-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJunk View Post
...I don't know if a paid survey is in the cards since it's only a $4k-5k boat. I don't have the cash in my budget for that....
Then you will probably want to read that post on doing your own survey and do a thorough self survey.

post #14 of 31 Old 11-20-2018

Painfully, many $4-$5k boats turn out to have values less than zero. This happens when a defect is identified that will cost more to repair than the boat will be worth, after repaired. Hull issues are one that can do this, followed by rigging, motors, sails, etc. I wonder if you could get a local professional to just come look at the suspect issue, if you're not up to the task.

Of course, it does not need to be perfect, just safe and not about to fall apart.

At a minimum, it's a waste of time to put more paint over top of that. You might as well just buy the new paint and pour it out. If you take that paint down to the hull, apply a proper barrier/primer and a few coats of bottom paint, it will last. On a 22ft boat, you could probably scrape or vacuum sand it yourself, but it will be a remarkable amount of work. You will accidentally get into the hull occasionally and need to repair that. Having a hull soda blasted is the best way to remove all product, but not damage the gelcoat. I doubt you'll want to spend the money on it.

Keep in mind, the cost of owning a boat is what will get your attention more than the cost of buying one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 31 Old 11-20-2018
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Looks OK to me so scrape sand paint go sailing.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

There are at least two owners web sites with a large archive of useful information. Ask Mr Google to find them.

Also Catalina themselves still provide spares and support.

BTW A Catalina 22 clone/copy built in the UK under licence as a Jaguar 22 was my first 'big' boat. I sailed mine from Troon round the Mull of Kintyre then up to Stornoway and back one summer. The following year I trailed it down to the Adriatic and sailed it down to Albania and back. They are capable little ships.
JimMcGee and RegisteredUser like this.

Last edited by TQA; 11-20-2018 at 10:30 AM.
post #16 of 31 Old 11-20-2018

Boats on trailers dont often seem to have negative value because their cost to own is so much less than boats that require storage.

Hiring a surveyor is often recomended, but I wonder how many owners of 35 year old trailer sailors are actually willing to drop $$$ on a surveyor, especially considering most wont even look at a lot of the most expensive items; sails, trailer, rig and engine.

If you do hire a surveyor, find out what their credentials are and ask them before hiring them what they are actually going to survey.

Last edited by Arcb; 11-20-2018 at 11:13 AM.
post #17 of 31 Old 11-20-2018

FWIW, when I was buying my Oday 23 almost twenty years ago, I hired a surveyor. I thought I knew a lot about boats, but I learned more in those two hours than I ever expected. He found some delamination I didn't know about, and also quelled my fears about it ("If you are going to day sail around the Sound, just rebed in these areas, and you'll be fine. It ain't worth fixing"). And because the boat was small and simple, he gave me a discounted rate for the survey.

I'm fairly risk-averse, so for me, spending about $300 for a survey on a $5000 boat was very worthwhile. YMMV.
post #18 of 31 Old 11-20-2018

Is this boat going to be trailered? Hard to imagine how paint can get that bad, unless there is a serious adhesion problem, if itís only day sailed off a trailer.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #19 of 31 Old 11-20-2018

Paint on a centerboard can get bad because it is a trailer sailer. may don't paint them because they are hard to get to on the trailer. The boat needs to be lifted in a sling to sand and paint the centerboard. many don't spend the time or money to do this. How is the rest of the bottom?

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #20 of 31 Old 11-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
On a 22ft boat, you could probably scrape or vacuum sand it yourself, but it will be a remarkable amount of work. You will accidentally get into the hull occasionally and need to repair that.
WERE YOU WATCHING ME?!?!

You'd think a 22' boat isn't that big, but when working with amateur level tools and a homemade cradle it was a tremendous amount of work. And yes, I went into the fiberglass once.

If I were to do it again I would definitely just pay to have it done.

Anyway, that keel looks about how mine looked. It's iron, so if it isn't sealed it will rust up and if a lazy owner paints over the rust that's what you get.

I ground my keel down to metal. I put Marine Tex in to fill the large pits, didn't worry too much about smoothing it. I used Pettit Rustlok Steel Primer and then finished with Pettit Neptune 5.

I chose the Pettit Neptune 5 because it advertises that it will go over all other bottom paints. I had no idea what paint the previous owner had used and didn't feel like going all the way to the fiberglass, so for the hull I just sanded till it was smooth and the flaking bits came off, then hit it with the Neptune 5. I've had it on for three years and it's held well.

Make sure the deck is solid around the shrouds. Remember that new sails could cost $2000 so if the sails are shot you might want to keep looking.

You can't go too wrong. Lot's of Catalina 22 out there, if you end up not liking it you should be able to re-sell it easily.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in