Is this a healthy Catalina 22 hull/keel? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old 11-20-2018
Captain Obvious

Re: Is this a healthy Catalina 22 hull/keel?

I would not pay for a survey on a boat that is basically a glorified dingy with a keel. No offense meant by that, we love ours. Buy it cheap. All sailboats are hard to sell.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 11-21-2018

Hard to tell from the photo, but the bottom doesn't look nearly as bad as the keel. I'd strip that nasty, peeling paint off the keel with chemical paint stripper and then put a couple fresh coats of antifouling on it. Stripping just the keel wouldn't be such a terrible job as stripping the whole bottom. You might not have to strip it all off. It might be sufficient to get enough off so that the keel surface is reasonably smooth. That keel is so rough that it will severely hurt boat speed and pointing. The boat will sail much better without the peeling paint.

My first keel boat was a C22, and I stripped the bottom and keel by jacking up the whole boat and trailer and setting it on concrete blocks. Then I built a simple wood cradle under the boat and lowered the trailer to the ground, leaving the boat resting on the cradle. As I recall, I used 4X4s and 2X10s to build the cradle. It only took 2-3 hours to build and assemble the cradle and a half hour to knock it down after the job was done, and I kept the parts for the next time I needed to use it. As I recall, I assembled it mostly with 3/8" bolts and a few long nails.

Personally, while it's jacked up, I'd at least give the whole bottom enough sanding to smooth it and then paint it. If you strip it all the way down to the gelcoat, it would be a big job, but if you just strip the keel and lightly sand and paint the bottom, it's not so bad.
post #23 of 31 Old 11-21-2018
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Having a second look at the keel I think the seller might have smeared on some blue paint maybe blue antifouling to cover some rust patches. Rusty keels are common on C22s.

So I will amend my advice scrape sand APPLY FERTAN OR SIMILAR RUST CONVERTER TO RUSTY PATCHES APPLY ZINC RICH PRIMER TO RUSTY PATCHES PAINT AND GO SAILING.

The only way to get a good paint system onto a rusty cast iron keel would involve removing the keel and getting it sandblasted back to SA 2.5 on a hot dry day then apply 3 coats of zinc rich epoxy primer with the first coat going on within 30 minutes. Cost more than the boat is worth.

So just touch up the rusty patches every year.

The hull looks ok just sand and paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyJunk View Post
Hi guys, new member here. I'm thinking about buying a Catalina 22, and this photo is from the underside of the boat. The keel looks a bit funky, but I know these swing keels were iron, and maybe that's why? Either that or maybe it's just peeling paint.

Also, the bottom paint that the owner had paid someone to apply wipes off with the stroke of your hand. (and the very bottom looks like it's lost all the paint in this photo). Is this normal?

Thanks for any advice. The rest of the boat looks anywhere from great to acceptable depending on where you look.
Sal Paradise likes this.

post #24 of 31 Old 11-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I would not pay for a survey on a boat that is basically a glorified dingy with a keel. No offense meant by that, we love ours.
Agreed. I wouldn't get a survey on that boat either.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #25 of 31 Old 11-23-2018

I strongly agree with the post by Take Five! I am still paying for my lesson, on not having a survey done, on my Buccaneer 305. I have to agree, that if you are unable to afford a survey, it will be difficult to afford the boat.
I don't know how easy it is, with a Cat 22, to access the bilge, but I would suggest checking the stringers that secure the keel. In my early days of pocket boats I almost bought a boat without a survey. It turned out that the boat would have needed a minimum of $1500.00 worth of work, due to what appeared to be a small crack in the rudder, before even being able launche. That was also before accessing the condition of sails, stays, lines, or any other issues the boat might have.
A survey can be very affordable. I talked to the manager of the marina I use, who recommended several surveors. I was able to get a written survey for $250.00. That survey saved me
thousands of dollars in needed repairs had I moved forward with the purchase of that boat.

There are many boats on the market in your price range. For instance, I have a 27' Oday for sail, in excellent condition, and I have it listed for $3900.00. It includes a spinnaker, auto pilot and many upgrades. In my opinion, a survey is a must unless you posses an intimate structural knowledge of sailboats.
Remember, there are far more boats on the market, than potential buyers. A simple internet search for sailboats, for sale by owner, will pull up a large number of options. There are also many boats for sale through not for profit organizations. Some people choose the tax deductions over the hassle of selling an older boat. I bought a boat through one organization and found the staff to be very helpful in identifying any big ticket repairs.
I hope my advice is of some assistance.
post #26 of 31 Old 11-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
...I sailed mine from Troon round the Mull of Kintyre then up to Stornoway...
I think I saw that in an episode of Game of Thrones.
post #27 of 31 Old 11-24-2018

That flakey stuff is blue anti-fouling paint. It is used when the boat is being left in the water for long periods. In your case it needs to be removed down to the hull and a new barrier layer and then new anti-fouling paint applied if you wish to leave it on a mooring. If you are bringing it home after each brief outing, the anti-fouling can be left alone--eventually it will all ablate to the barrier coat--which is usually chlorinated rubber paint.

It can be removed by sand blasting by a skilled operator. Some use a water-blaster with a sandy grit included--probably the best method with no breathable toxic dust.
post #28 of 31 Old 11-24-2018
cdy

Catalina 22's are about the most numerous boats out there - there are lots of on-line help available( Youtube videos also) - there is no reason to pay for a survey if you have any experience at all with boats - they are pretty bullet proof - biggest concern is the lifting mechanism/cable on the keel - rusting keels are very typical and can be taken care of with a bit of work. Unless it comes with a newer outboard $4K-5K seems a bit high - try $3K. Have owned and raced a couple of them over the years - yours looks to be in better shape than mine when I bought them - buy low - sell low when you move up - invest some sweat equity but not a lot of actual dollars and you will generally break even ( key is getting good price when purchasing - $5K for a older Cat 22 is not a good price)
post #29 of 31 Old 11-24-2018
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Don Casey's book on Sailboat Maintenance includes a chapter on carrying out your own survey.

I thought it a good investment.

NB Nearly all surveyors will not go up the mast, will not start the engine except on a sea trial with the owner present and don;t layout sails only peak in the bag.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #30 of 31 Old 11-24-2018
Captain Obvious

If I were going to survey it myself, I would have a travel lift raise it 5', then put on stands, and lower the keel all the way and inspect the hanger pin and the casting. You can shake the keel back and forth and look up into the trunk. At that time its a very simple matter to pull the keel off if need be. Change the keel lifting cable and - very important - the rubber hose that covers the cable and the little bronze pully inside it.

I have to say - I thought that keel looked pretty good.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 11-24-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in