My Brackets and tracks - SailNet Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Teamstone
  • 2 Post By capta
  • 1 Post By Jeff_H

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-29-2018 Thread Starter

My Brackets and tracks

I have two brackets on the starboard as shown in the picture? Are these for Spinnaker poles, if not what are they for?

Each side has a small track right off the cockpit (About 1" by 2 ft). There are no cars on it Obviously my large track (2" by 10') with 2 cars, is for rigging the Genoa but what is the small track for?

I have attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
20181129_124447.jpg   20181129_131251.jpg   20181129_124514.jpg  
knuterikt likes this.

Last edited by Teamstone; 11-29-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-29-2018

Re: My Brackets and tracks

I'd guess a Whisker Pole.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-29-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamstone View Post
I have two brackets on the starboard as shown in the picture? Are these for Spinnaker poles, if not what are they for?

Each side has a small track right off the cockpit (About 1" by 2 ft). There are no cars on it Obviously my large track (2" by 10') with 2 cars, is for rigging the Genoa but what is the small track for?

I have attached pictures.
The brackets are definitely spinnaker pole brackets. I have the same ones on my boat. While those might be usable for a whisker pole, whisker poles are usually adjustable and lighter duty and so I would think that it is less like that this was for a whisker pole.

The deck tracks are less clear cut. My best guess is that the tracks are the inboard genoa lead track. Normally there would be a track on the deck next to the coaming or cabin side that would allow a proper sheeting angle for a genoa when the boat is beating since the position at the rail would be too far outboard when going upwind on a beamy boat like an Allmand. Since the coaming extends almost all of the way to the gunnel, the tracks were installed on top of the coaming. There should be cars for that track.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

post #4 of 9 Old 11-29-2018

Great for a whisker pole.
Measure center to center.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-30-2018

How does one distinguish deck storage brackets between a spinnaker and whisker pole?

I wish we had a pic from the aft, looking forward, of those coaming tracks. I find it interesting that there is a pad eye or cleat of some sort, so close to the track. Makes me wonder if there was a mod done here. Would it be possible that the sheet angle for a spinnaker was outside the limits of the winch and needed to be redirected? Although, I block would do and one wouldn't think they needed the track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-30-2018
Master Mariner

It occurs to me that the cockpit tracks may be for a binimi. We often see this on small motor boats and perhaps the PO copied that idea.
paulk and tempest like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 9 Old 11-30-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
How does one distinguish deck storage brackets between a spinnaker and whisker pole?
Typically, spinnaker poles sockets are more robust and have fatter pins for the jaws on the pole ends to engage with. Whisker poles are generally lighter duty and so have smaller pole ends, which when properly sized often will not not fit onto the fat rod in the socket for a spinnaker pole. Whisker poles are much longer than a spinnaker pole and so the storage sockets would need to be further apart. Whisker poles often have a jaw at one end and a pin at the other and so the two sockets are different (one with a large hole and the other with a pin for the jaws). And lastly, whisker poles are less robust than a spinnaker pole so they are generally not stowed on the deck where they can be damaged.

Jeff
Minnewaska likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #8 of 9 Old 12-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
The brackets are definitely spinnaker pole brackets. I have the same ones on my boat. While those might be usable for a whisker pole, whisker poles are usually adjustable and lighter duty and so I would think that it is less like that this was for a whisker pole.

The deck tracks are less clear cut. My best guess is that the tracks are the inboard genoa lead track. Normally there would be a track on the deck next to the coaming or cabin side that would allow a proper sheeting angle for a genoa when the boat is beating since the position at the rail would be too far outboard when going upwind on a beamy boat like an Allmand. Since the coaming extends almost all of the way to the gunnel, the tracks were installed on top of the coaming. There should be cars for that track.

Jeff
Agree with Jeff on the brackets: I have the same ones on my boat as well.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-03-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Agree with Jeff on the brackets: I have the same ones on my boat as well.
Me too.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in