SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   What is this thing below the tiller? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/327140-what-thing-below-tiller.html)

dwlangham 12-01-2018 11:09 AM

What is this thing below the tiller?

1 Attachment(s)
With reference to the attached photo, can anyone tell me the name and function of the item indicated by the arrow labeled "What's this?" It looks like a tiller, but it's under the actual tiller and goes to a post that appears to be integrated into the rudder. Is it a device for setting a trim tab on the rudder?

TQA 12-01-2018 11:13 AM

Re: What is this thing below the tiller?

Is there a trim tab on the rudder?

dwlangham 12-01-2018 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 2051567192)
Is there a trim tab on the rudder?

I have no idea.

Jeff_H 12-01-2018 12:07 PM

Given the geometry of the shaft, that appears to be a way to turn the trim tab with the shaft passing diagonally through the rudder itself. I have seen that type of thing before but usually the tiller for the trim tab is much shorter and set up so it could be tied into a windvane. You would normally expect to see small turning blocks on either side of the trim tab tiller that would have been led to the vane, but there is no sign of that hardware.

I have also seen trim tabs set up so that they balance weather helm, but those usually have a small quadrant mounted below the tiller that allows a fixed setting.

In any event, that boat needs a new tiller badly.

Jeff

MarkofSeaLife 12-01-2018 01:31 PM

Theres something wrong with that photo.
Did you take it?
Or is it a For Sale photo taken with a very wide angle lens?

Whilst it might be just as Jeff says theres something not right.... Yes, Jeff is spot on that it needs a new tiller (or 2!), but look at the very stern where the little tillers shaft misses the absolute stern but, what looks like, half an inch. .... without any damage, scraping whatsoever to the white fibreglass. On such an old boat? Something to investigate?

If you are looking to buy it I would also ponder why the engine exhaust is so black but then leaves no residue just above the boot stripe.

Also need to have a very close (professional) inspection of the rigging. The twin back stay fittings are very very old. That certainly makes it look right for the age of the boat, but these things have a life of about 15 years and can develop cracks you cant see. An insurance company may reject insurance or claims on old rigging.

Good luck with it :)

Must be a classic old boat :)

dwlangham 12-01-2018 02:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 2051567214)
Theres something wrong with that photo.
Did you take it?
Or is it a For Sale photo taken with a very wide angle lens?

I took the photo with my iPhone, standing on the dock. Attached is a wide shot from across the marina. I'm not looking to purchase it, but I did find it interesting. As you can see, it's a cutter rig with a wooden mast and a long boom.

Maybe someone knows the make/model?

Jeff_H 12-01-2018 08:09 PM

That looks like an Alajuela 38 that someone modified with a clipper bow, but it also looks like a larger version of Peter Van Dyne's Tancook whaler adaptation.