Mast removal - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 12-03-2018

Re: Mast removal

A free boat is the most expensive boat one can own. Before you take possession of the boat find out what this model is worth in pristine condition. Start adding up the cost to get this boat in that condition, crane time, power wash and scrap the reef from her bottom, transportation cost. We are at around $5 grand here already and you haven't even sanded her teak, fixed the spongy decks or replaced the running and standing rigging. Engine ok? No, add another at least 8 to 10 grand, sails? 5 grand, OH oh, blisters, 3 grand, two years in the yard, and before you take possession of her will your present yard allow her in?
Who owns the boat? The marina? It cost the marina to dispose of her so maybe they should pay you to take her off their hands. Then again you may have the deal of the century. As my grand pappy always said, Always look a gift horse in the mouth. Good luck and keep us posted please.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 12-03-2018
Learning the HARD way...

There is no such thing as a "Free Boat"

This especially applies to a boat with a 1974 130-horsepower Perkins diesel.

Good luck to you sir! And PLEASE keep us posted on your progress!
sailingfool likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 26 Old 12-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldo105 View Post
Thanks to all that replied my post. Just to let you all know what is happening, there is a 1974 Lindsey Globemaster 38 sailboat that is offered for free at a near by marina. The boat requires a lot of work to get it ship shape and I am very interested to do the job. To do this I have to get the boat to where I store my current boat because it cost a lot less than on the marina the sailboat is located now. In order to move the boat from the marina to the boat yard I have to remove the mast because existing power cables on the road. This will be my first sailboat since what I have is a power boat so this thing is all new to me. To remove the mast I first need to get the boat out the water and then hire a crane to get the mast off the boat. What I wanted to know of someone knows this boat that can tell me how the mast is installed so I have a better understanding on how to safely remove it from the boat. Either way, I will continue posting my progress with this mast removal and the repairs I made to the boat, thanks.
Since it is floating on the water is there some compelling reason to not tow it on the water over to your boat yard and haul it out with the mast up eliminating all the angst of dragging a 39 foot boat overland?

The seller or staff at the marina should be able to tell you about the mast just by giving it a casual glance whether its deck stepped on top of the cabin or if the mast goes through the cabin, dinette, forward head down to the keel.

Center cockpit boats like that are great for entertaining. Lindsey Yacht Corp was in Halandale, FL and shut down in 1980 after about 9 years in operation. They were known for their 38 foot Globemaster Trawler (designed by William Garden) and 39 foot Globemaster Motor Sailor (designed by Robert “Dick” Lindsey).

Here is a web link to one owner who appears to have been setting up some kind of registry and may be able to offer some better info on them:

svPanthalassa | sailing vessel Panthalassa

There appear to have been some variations too as there was a 2 masted 38 foot and a 1 masted 39 foot version of the Motor Sailor:
38 Lindsey Globemaster motor sailor 978

Hope this helps.

post #14 of 26 Old 12-06-2018

So no crane at the yard it's currently stored at? Can you move it (tow or motor) to a yard that does? Will be much cheaper than hiring a crane.

And yes, do your homework before taking possession of this boat to avoid a potential money pit.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #15 of 26 Old 12-26-2018

Quote:
Either way, I will continue posting my progress with this mast removal and the repairs I made to the boat, thanks.
Hmmm....2 post and no more. I would like to know if he decided to take possession of the boat.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #16 of 26 Old 12-26-2018 Thread Starter

Hello everyone, sorry I did not posted or answer your questions as I promised but after a thorough analysis of the boat and what I have to do not just to tow it out of the marina it is located which is expensive, to my actual boat yard, but the work it requires to get it shipshape, I decided not to acquire this boat. I am 58 now and I will like a boat that is ready for sale so I will keep searching to see if I can get a nice boat. Thanks for the communication and hope to be part of the sail community soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to maldo105 For This Useful Post:
Skipper Jer (12-27-2018)
post #17 of 26 Old 12-27-2018

Sad to hear is was in such bad shape as Richard Lindsey had a very good reputation from his work at Cal along with his own Lindsey Plastics and Globemaster was his Build It My Way without the Bean Counters at my back retirement dream.

People who own well maintained examples that have the Perkins really appear to love them while the Lancomb powered ones all had that mid range rpm vibration issue that those particular Lancomb were well known for and Lancomb was never able to resolve.

I know one person that would love to have a Lindsey Globemaster in reasonable shape as his live aboard.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 12-27-2018 at 02:02 AM.
post #18 of 26 Old 12-27-2018

Quote:
Hello everyone, sorry I did not posted or answer your questions as I promised but after a thorough analysis of the boat and what I have to do not just to tow it out of the marina it is located which is expensive, to my actual boat yard, but the work it requires to get it shipshape, I decided not to acquire this boat. I am 58 now and I will like a boat that is ready for sale so I will keep searching to see if I can get a nice boat. Thanks for the communication and hope to be part of the sail community soon.
It sounds like you made a good decision. I have worked on a couple of project cars, and done my own work on a few cars and my house. At this point in my life I don't have the time or patience to work on a project boat. I want to go sailing.

I wish I had lived in some Coastal area near a large sailing community in my 20s or 30s. I might have taken on a project back then, and would be sailing it now.
post #19 of 26 Old 12-27-2018

Good, Roomy boat . Deck stepped mast; Bowline Loop around mast with tag line ,take up slack, undue all stays and shrouds,lowers first .{control] Butt, Disconect electrical at butt, control Butt ! use only electrical tape to gather and secure all rigging to mast ; do not use any other tape; Or you'll never get it off !!Rope works too..You'll need some kind of crutch to support the mast,back by the stern.. I'd WD40 all turn buckles and work them 2days before ,to make sure they'll undo. Take your time and make sure the turn buckles are secure.. good luck and take some sailing lessons if you haven't sailed before...
post #20 of 26 Old 12-27-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchxll View Post
Good, Roomy boat . Deck stepped mast; Bowline Loop around mast with tag line ,take up slack, undue all stays and shrouds,lowers first ....
It doesn't matter now. He didn't get the boat. He doesn't have a boat. He is not removing any mast.

But what do you propose he attaches the bowline to? He has no crane or lift.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in