Mast removal - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 12-02-2018 Thread Starter

Mast removal

Hello everyone, I am in the process to acquire a 1974 Lindsey Globemaster 38 sailboat for free and need to remove the mast for transport it from its current location to my boat yard to start working on it. Does anybody can light me up on this subject? I have no clue on how to remove the mast off this boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-02-2018
Barquito

Re: Mast removal

Welcome to SailNet! Normally, the mast would be pulled at a boatyard. They would have a small crane that would connect just a bit above the center of gravity of the mast. If you do not have access to a boatyard you should hire a crane. There may be some ideas about doing this yourself, but, with a boat this size, that would be dangerous. You will need to disconnect all the cables that go through the mast, and the running rigging. After the mast is supported by the crane, you will need to disconnect all the standing rigging. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Valiant 32
post #3 of 26 Old 12-02-2018

If the mast is stepped on deck the crane won't have to boom up much beyond the balance. If stepped on keel the boom has to be able to lift till it clears the deck. Embarasssing to not have considered this when renting the crane.Otherwise pretty standard work for the crane operator. Will need the wood structure to support laying on deck.And a bunch of short ropes to tie all the rigging together.

post #4 of 26 Old 12-03-2018

Looks like a motor sailor from the drawing on SailBoatData so the mast should be shorter than on a more traditional sailboat however you'll still need a crane:

130 hp Perkins Diesel with 300 gallons of fuel with the cockpit above the cabin. Interesting layout. Does the mast come through the cabin by the dinette/half bath or is there a beam across the cabin that it sits on?

Some of those old diesels had an asbestos coupling inside the transmission to dampen vibration which being asbestos are pretty much unobtanium and you may have to call an environmental services company to deal with any old diesel left in the tank.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 12-03-2018 at 09:12 AM.
post #5 of 26 Old 12-03-2018

I this is not in a boatyard with the equipment to remove the mast, how did it get there with the mast up?

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #6 of 26 Old 12-03-2018

If its afloat it may be cheaper to just tow it on the water with the mast up to your boatyard and travel lift it out of the water dealing with dismasting it only if its really needed.
post #7 of 26 Old 12-03-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks to all that replied my post. Just to let you all know what is happening, there is a 1974 Lindsey Globemaster 38 sailboat that is offered for free at a near by marina. The boat requires a lot of work to get it ship shape and I am very interested to do the job. To do this I have to get the boat to where I store my current boat because it cost a lot less than on the marina the sailboat is located now. In order to move the boat from the marina to the boat yard I have to remove the mast because existing power cables on the road. This will be my first sailboat since what I have is a power boat so this thing is all new to me. To remove the mast I first need to get the boat out the water and then hire a crane to get the mast off the boat. What I wanted to know of someone knows this boat that can tell me how the mast is installed so I have a better understanding on how to safely remove it from the boat. Either way, I will continue posting my progress with this mast removal and the repairs I made to the boat, thanks.
post #8 of 26 Old 12-03-2018

If the stick is keel stepped.... remove all stays and the partners and boot and then you'll need a crane to lift it from the boat. You can probably slip a loop around mast at deck level... and then haul in the hoist line. It will stop at the spreaders.

You will want to leave a halyard at the mast and use it to control and guide the mast as it lifted out of the boat and above the life lines. You might also want to have a control line at the base of the mast to control it as well.

You probably can rent the crane by the hour or find a rigger who can do this for / with you.

before and as you dissemble things... take pics!

Good luck.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #9 of 26 Old 12-03-2018
Barquito

The mast itself is usually not connected to anything at the base. It just sits on a fitting that keeps it from sliding around. The shrouds and stays keep it from tipping over. If you haven't agreed to take the boat, yet, you should consider all the costs involved. It is possible that it is cheaper to buy a boat that is working, than to fix one that is not working.

Valiant 32
post #10 of 26 Old 12-03-2018

If you get alongside a suitable dock, Crane truck can lift from alongside. If boat is lower, even a Hiab arm can do it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in