Another Wet Ericson - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 49 Old 12-07-2018

Re: Another Wet Ericson

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Looks like PT 4x4 for mounting the engine.
In other words, fence posts.

Mark
miatapaul likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 Old 12-07-2018

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...owse%20listing

David, Here's an example of a 35 ft. boat for $18,500, that appears to be in much better condition.

No one is going to pay $47,500 for that Ericson and then put another $40,000 into repairs. That engine would need to be lifted and re-mounted, with the support glassed in, not to mention the Wood and probable wet core.
olson34, eherlihy, davidpm and 1 others like this.

Last edited by tempest; 12-07-2018 at 04:24 PM.
post #23 of 49 Old 12-07-2018

Nice galley
Great large fuel tank..4 to 500 mile range

post #24 of 49 Old 12-07-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
David, I take it you're in the market to buy a boat. Do you want a project boat?
Does anyone ever WANT a project boat?

I have cabinet maker skills but not engine skills.

Glass I can do as can just about anyone but who would want to.

To answer your question NO but like lots of people, I overestimate my abilities and underestimate the time it takes.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #25 of 49 Old 12-07-2018

Quote:
....To answer your question NO .....
Then why explore what it would take to repair a hull like this one. Lots of good boats out there. Don't start with ones you question. A perfect boat will still give you plenty to do.

Good luck finding the right one.
davidpm and fallard like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #26 of 49 Old 12-07-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Then why explore what it would take to repair a hull like this one. Lots of good boats out there. Don't start with ones you question. A perfect boat will still give you plenty to do.

Good luck finding the right one.
Good point. I've seen about a dozen boats so far and they all have had something. I'm just trying to get a handle on what is SOMETHING and what is something.

And of course, the dream that I can parlay some skills I think I have into a deal.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #27 of 49 Old 12-08-2018
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Does anyone ever WANT a project boat?
Yep - I just bought (another) one a couple of months ago.

I get a kick out of bringing back nasty old neglected stuff.
Minnesail likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 12-09-2018 at 12:21 AM.
post #28 of 49 Old 12-08-2018

I had a partnership in an Ericson. It's wood did not look nearly as bad as that one does and the deck core had severe core issues. By the time the interior wood looks like that, I would suspect the deck core. The damage to the bulkheads is severe, the core is questionable and the asking price does not reflect this highly questionable status. Keep looking.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #29 of 49 Old 12-08-2018

Quote:
....And of course, the dream that I can parlay some skills I think I have into a deal.
In the spirit of helping you think through the process, you seem a little conflicted. You say you do not want a project boat, but you are looking for a boat at a good price that may need work you feel you have the skills to do.

I'd be careful. Boats that are at low cost and need real work, almost never are a good deal in the end. There is the rare opportunity and some who pull it off. They are, by far, the exception. A good deal can be one with solid bones, but needs to be thoroughly cleaned, painted or varnished, maybe some soft goods or a new set of sails or running rigging. That's it. If you start thinking about glass, wet, wood, motors, keels, etc, they typically go upside down quickly.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #30 of 49 Old 12-08-2018
Administrator

David,

What we all are trying to tell you is that this boat doesn't have "good bones' left. You are looking at multiple King Cong's of 'somethings'. And you are looking at an owner whose asking price is way too much even if this boat was in perfect condition and well equipped.

I think that you have been given consistent advice by those of us who have been through the project boat experience, which is to keep looking. This one has no hope of ever being a contender.

Here's the deal, the way that boat is built, you will be taking much of the interior apart just to get to the connection between the bulkhead and the pan. That is a structural bulkhead that was installed before the deck was installed, so even getting a new bulkhead into place will be tough. If the face of the bulkhead looks that bad you can expect the base of the bulkhead to look far worse.

And the bulkhead is the easy repair compared to the likelihood that the deck core is shot.

And by time you deal with all of that, plus the interior trim on the cabin sides, the engine mounts, the head liner, and numerous things you can't see yet, even if you did a good job of it, you would be looking at a boat that would be worth maybe half of the asking price having put in a couple years of weekends putting her in shape.

The bigger point is that there's much nicer boats out there that you should be looking at, and not wasting your time on this one which is mediocre design, that has been abused past being worth consideration at almost any price.

Jeff
RobGallagher and PhilCarlson like this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 12-08-2018 at 07:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
davidpm (12-08-2018)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in