A wise decision ... more grist for the mill ....
August 30th I surveyed a boat with mold like that. I have been dealing with painful skin rashes, lung infection and sinus infection ever since. Doc tells me up to a year to fully (maybe) recover.
Out of curiosity I looked into mold remediation on a 33' boat. The estimate I got was $10,000 and the guarantee was somewhat vague.
I will take mold more seriously from now on.
My family is involved with disaster relief and mold remediation so yes whether they call it mold or mildew its not to be taken lightly. In a home, if its in deep, it can involve stripping the house down to the studs/underlament with the complete interior including the drywall and insulation tossed into the dumpster by a crew clad in hooded/gloved/booted disposable dectam suits with full face NOSH respirators with the most contaminated items broken up and bagged before disposal. All upholstered and soft items along with books, paintings, photographs, documents and the like may also be considered a loss even though they appear intact. Some folks are hit really hard when they find their home stripped of everything except for the roof with just the tar paper on it and the framing left and sometimes even the underlayment on the walls and floors needs to go too leaving just a skeleton with a tar paper roof on it as all that can be saved.
Everything that's left in/of the building needs to be Hepa Vacuumed in a Sealed Hepa Filtered environment and either treated with Bleach, Ammonium Chloride or TriSodiumPhosphate in a Bone Dry Dehumidified environment.
Only the most important paperwork that can't be duplicated will be conserved along with just a portion of the family photographs, etc in a bad outbreak.
After an event that wets the interior of any space its very critical to act immediately to dry it out before there is a blossom of mold and mildew.
Families with young children and the elderly can be at high risk where there is mold and mildew involved and its sad that most do not act quickly at the very onset where eliminating the root cause of the dampness and fogging with TSP will stop it in its tracks with minimal loss and cleanup along with at a much lower cost. Think about the difference between acting quickly and paying for a few hundred dollars in de-humidification and TSP fogging expense (and the TSP will be food grade so you do not have to remove anything from the space except for any items highly contaminated with mold) compared to waiting until its a $10,000 remediation yet most still wait. Many times if you act right away all that may have to be removed before fogging is a highly contaminated item such as some cushions or a picture on a wall and perhaps some wallpaper on an exterior wall or in a kitchen/bathroom. Wallpaper especially vinyl can be a mold spore breeding ground so its recommended after remediation that no wallpaper be replaced.
There needs to be more awareness that when your dealing with mold its like dealing with a slow fire that is eating away at everything around it 24/7 until you put it completely out.
Hope your recovery is complete and speedy.