Another Wet Ericson - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 49 Old 12-08-2018

Re: Another Wet Ericson

Another consideration from the perspective of a fellow midwest dweller.

We are fortunate to have a fairly immense supply of nice boats floating around on our freshwater lakes compared to our sea dwelling brethren. Keep looking, there are a lot of great boats out there, you just need to find the right one.
davidpm likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 12-08-2018

Like I said if its not already your boat then walk away otherwise fix the leaks along with the damage to structure and kill the mold spores before doing anything cosmetic to the woodwork inside the boat.

If the structural damage is too extensive on a boat you already own the best recourse may be to send it to the crusher and learn the lesson that small leaks eventually sink even great ships. Sad thing is too many total their boats through lack of maintenance ending up with a mortgage they are upside down on so they doctor them up so someone else will get stuck with the problem they created.

I see a lot of gutted project boats for sale around here purchased by folks who thought they weren't that bad and then found themselves with an empty hulled money pit that still requires more work than they can afford to deal with. They try to sell them for a few hundred dollars to make them go away and so they won't get stuck with the disposal fees or try to rid themselves of the liability by donating them to a charity.

What likely started out as a small issue requiring the replacement of a few screws and fixing up some caulking was allowed to spiral out of control on that one.
davidpm likes this.
post #33 of 49 Old 12-08-2018
Master Mariner

I've had really good results by lightly sanding off any remaining varnish (or whatever), lightly bleaching the wood and then staining it to match the rest of the panel. You can varnish (or whatever) this and it is almost unnoticeable to any but the most intense scrutiny.
zeehag likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
davidpm (12-08-2018)

post #34 of 49 Old 12-08-2018
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

replacing wood wont do a damned thing until mast step is repaired. then no more leaking. THEN repair woods.
my 35 had these issues, but not as badly. these are good boats and worthy of refitting properly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #35 of 49 Old 12-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Really, I think that's pretty obvious to all.
Hey Cap, why was this necessary? Zee provided an additional point, she wasn't challenging your input. Hope there isn't anything going on in your world causing the hair trigger. Cheers mate.
zeehag likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #36 of 49 Old 12-08-2018
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

many owners rebed everything only to find wet wet wet, yet again. itis not understood that the mast dish of aluminum has a tendency to after a few dozen years totally fail. repair canbe done for 2000 usd on upwards in dollars. is merely holding mast over dish replacing dic=sh and hoping core is clear not wet. is end grain balsa and doesnot epoxy well, a si learned. enjoy th eboat. is a good one, just do it right for maximal enjoyment.
my 35 was an awesome sailing boat.
davidpm likes this.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #37 of 49 Old 12-08-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
David,

What we all are trying to tell you is that this boat doesn't have "good bones' left. You are looking at multiple King Cong's of 'somethings'. And you are looking at an owner whose asking price is way too much even if this boat was in perfect condition and well equipped.
Thank you all. Boat off list.
PhilCarlson likes this.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #38 of 49 Old 12-09-2018
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Thank you all. Boat off list.
A wise decision ... more grist for the mill ....
August 30th I surveyed a boat with mold like that. I have been dealing with painful skin rashes, lung infection and sinus infection ever since. Doc tells me up to a year to fully (maybe) recover.

Out of curiosity I looked into mold remediation on a 33' boat. The estimate I got was $10,000 and the guarantee was somewhat vague.
I will take mold more seriously from now on.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
davidpm (12-09-2018)
post #39 of 49 Old 12-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
August 30th I surveyed a boat with mold like that. I have been dealing with painful skin rashes, lung infection and sinus infection ever since. Doc tells me up to a year to fully (maybe) recover.

Out of curiosity I looked into mold remediation on a 33' boat. The estimate I got was $10,000 and the guarantee was somewhat vague.
My family is involved with disaster relief and mold remediation so yes whether they call it mold or mildew its not to be taken lightly. In a home, if its in deep, it can involve stripping the house down to the studs/underlament with the complete interior including the drywall and insulation tossed into the dumpster by a crew clad in hooded/gloved/booted disposable dectam suits with full face NOSH respirators with the most contaminated items broken up and bagged before disposal. All upholstered and soft items along with books, paintings, photographs, documents and the like may also be considered a loss even though they appear intact. Some folks are hit really hard when they find their home stripped of everything except for the roof with just the tar paper on it and the framing left and sometimes even the underlayment on the walls and floors needs to go too leaving just a skeleton with a tar paper roof on it as all that can be saved.

Everything that's left in/of the building needs to be Hepa Vacuumed in a Sealed Hepa Filtered environment and either treated with Bleach, Ammonium Chloride or TriSodiumPhosphate in a Bone Dry Dehumidified environment.

Only the most important paperwork that can't be duplicated will be conserved along with just a portion of the family photographs, etc in a bad outbreak.

After an event that wets the interior of any space its very critical to act immediately to dry it out before there is a blossom of mold and mildew.

Families with young children and the elderly can be at high risk where there is mold and mildew involved and its sad that most do not act quickly at the very onset where eliminating the root cause of the dampness and fogging with TSP will stop it in its tracks with minimal loss and cleanup along with at a much lower cost. Think about the difference between acting quickly and paying for a few hundred dollars in de-humidification and TSP fogging expense (and the TSP will be food grade so you do not have to remove anything from the space except for any items highly contaminated with mold) compared to waiting until its a $10,000 remediation yet most still wait. Many times if you act right away all that may have to be removed before fogging is a highly contaminated item such as some cushions or a picture on a wall and perhaps some wallpaper on an exterior wall or in a kitchen/bathroom. Wallpaper especially vinyl can be a mold spore breeding ground so its recommended after remediation that no wallpaper be replaced.

There needs to be more awareness that when your dealing with mold its like dealing with a slow fire that is eating away at everything around it 24/7 until you put it completely out.

Hope your recovery is complete and speedy.
Jeff_H and boatpoker like this.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 12-09-2018 at 11:54 AM.
post #40 of 49 Old 12-09-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

Wow, that's intense. I'll take your post as a serious warning, as I'm no spring chicken and a lung infection could be the death of me.
Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in