Raymarine autopilot beeps and leaves auto - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-15-2018 Thread Starter

Raymarine autopilot beeps and leaves auto

Hey everyone. Today I was sailing my 23 foot boat in light winds and my Raymarine st2000+ kept on beeping once, giving me the code 2000, and then exiting autopilot. Again the winds were light and it was being stressed very little. It was able to keep course easily. When I pressed autopilot then it would easily engage once again. Voltage was at 12.4 or so. I looked through the manual and Google with no references that I could find to this Behavior. Does anyone know what it indicates and what the correction is? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-16-2018

Re: Raymarine autopilot beeps and leaves auto

Donít know but I would
Check rudder angle indicator
Reload and/or update soft ware
Check if all connections are tight
If no joy and had time to wait on hold call or email or go to chat with RM
Had occasion AP would periodically do 360. Dangerous. Went away after doing a factory reset.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #3 of 15 Old 12-16-2018

Beeping on an auto pilot is usually a warning of some kind. It can be due to reaching a waypoint and needing to make a turn, or having exceeded some cross track error or wind shift or just lost signal. In all events, it's waiting for the operator to do something to confirm and will shut down, if you don't. In very light winds, autopilots can have trouble holding course.

Do you have the operator manual? Raymarine is pretty good about keeping all their manuals on their website, even discontinued models.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 15 Old 12-16-2018

Usual suspect would be some sort of ferrous metal is close to the flux gate compass...
chef2sail likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-16-2018 Thread Starter

Okay and then later that day, the unit ended up completely shutting off and going blank for about half a minute or so. The voltage was 12.25 so I still don't think that it was a low voltage shut off. After it came back on, I set it to autopilot and it worked the rest of the day. Strange.
I will look for some recalibration options.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-16-2018

Corroded or loose connections can act intermittently. The corrosion can be under or inside the connection and be hard to identify. I might try cleaning everything.
SailingUphill likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-17-2018
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Before I pulled all the old Raymarine off my boat, I'd get these intermittent cross track errors and then the boat would round up. I tried re-calibrating, updating, resetting everything. I was close to figuring that it must be related to the compass. A laptop placed nearby one time was definitely a bad thing when it went completely ballistic. I talked to a Raymarine rep who said it's not unusual for the compasses to turn bad on you (figuratively speaking....sorta). After trying Minne's suggestion to look into the wiring, I'd then try replacing the compass. There are some really good ones on the market today.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-17-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone...I'm going to measure the voltage at the ST2000's plug and see if there's some issue there first. This device hasn't been used much, but it did get rained on last week and I've heard of that killing the units. I don't have any other equipment near it so don't see how that could have been an issue.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraidofsharks View Post
Okay and then later that day, the unit ended up completely shutting off and going blank for about half a minute or so. The voltage was 12.25 so I still don't think that it was a low voltage shut off.
My theory is low voltage condition, which is occuring when your autopilot is drawing a healthy current on the battery. Either a weak cell in the battery or a corroded connection in the wiring between the battery and the autopilot, which causes a significant voltage drop at high current levels.

Measure your battery voltage as close to where the autopilot is plugged in, while directing the autopilot to conduct large course changes.

Measure battery voltage when no load is on the battery is of limited usefulness.
The Following User Says Thank You to TimMarks For This Useful Post:
afraidofsharks (12-20-2018)
post #10 of 15 Old 12-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by afraidofsharks View Post
Thanks everyone...I'm going to measure the voltage at the ST2000's plug and see if there's some issue there first. This device hasn't been used much, but it did get rained on last week and I've heard of that killing the units. I don't have any other equipment near it so don't see how that could have been an issue.
Iíve had circumstances, where voltage measured just fine, when static. As soon as there is an amperage draw, voltage would drop to near nothing. It was due to corrosion at the connections.
BarryL likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
afraidofsharks (12-20-2018)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in