SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Rigging spinnaker sheave (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/327616-rigging-spinnaker-sheave.html)

Skipper Jer 12-28-2018 05:09 PM

Rigging spinnaker sheave

I've seen that one owner of the same model boat as ours bolted a plate to the mast head then added a couple of blocks at the end of the plate for the flying the spinnaker and sock. I'm guessing that was done so the spinnaker halyard is out front of the forestay which should avoid chaffing. I'm not to fond of drilling holes in the boat so what I'm thinking is to epoxy an aluminum plate on top of the mast head. Then add a block or two at the end of the plate for the halyard. Of course the paint of the top of the mast head would be removed, metal roughed up then JB Weld mixed and applied. Then paint it.

Is this a good plan? Maybe I'm overly concerned about chaffing and this modification is not needed? The boat does have two jib halyards available.

Regards
Jer

RegisteredUser 12-28-2018 05:30 PM

Re: Rigging spinnaker sheave

I would go with something already proven.
That can be a big load up high.
I wouldnt reinvent....

Skipper Jer 12-28-2018 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegisteredUser (Post 2051572290)
I would go with something already proven.
That can be a big load up high.
I wouldnt reinvent....

So are you suggesting that I bolt the plate to the mast head?

RegisteredUser 12-28-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipper Jer (Post 2051572306)
So are you suggesting that I bolt the plate to the mast head?

I would do what has worked before and save my brain research education new idea..time..for somerhing else...:)

There is other stuff to deal with, and always will be

What are you launching, and when?
What are your plans right now?

Skipper Jer 12-28-2018 06:23 PM

I've got a few more items to do on the boat before she goes back in the water. When? Depends on the weather since the boat is not under cover.

paulinnanaimo 12-28-2018 06:31 PM

How much actual bonding area would there be?

RegisteredUser 12-28-2018 06:32 PM

Where are you going to put in

contrarian 12-28-2018 07:28 PM

Methacrylates are used for bonding structural aluminum... ie mainly sheet to angle or square tubing. Even if you use the methacrylate for bonding I would suggest that you also tap the mast and bolt the plate with stainless bolts coated with tef gel. No such thing as too strong.

Skipper Jer 12-28-2018 09:09 PM

" How much actual bonding area would there be? " The plate I'm thinking about would be 2 inch wide and the top of the mast head is about 14 inches long so that is 28 square inches.

" Where are you going to put in " Deale, Maryland or points south. We have our house up for sale so we can move to that area.

paulinnanaimo 12-28-2018 09:49 PM

That's a pretty good bonding area. Once cured thoroughly, wack it hard with a hammer; if it doesn't break it might be okay. I would rather have at least a couple of modest sized bolts or rivets in addition to the epoxy...it isn't like there is a risk of sinking the boat because of the bored holes.