Jib clew height - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By SanderO
  • 1 Post By cb32863

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-03-2019 Thread Starter

Jib clew height

I want to raise jib clew as high as possible using existing jib track. I PLAN on sailing mostly off the wind, and I like the visibility with a higher cut. I understand that sheeting should intersect the sail halfway up the luff. Aside from barberhauler- would adding a tack pennant do the trick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-03-2019

Re: Jib clew height

Yes it would. You can make one that suits your preferred length, or several, using amsteel and thimbles in both eye splices.

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR
post #3 of 8 Old 01-03-2019

It all depends on what the cut of your sail is. If the sail currently fits your forestay, then you may not be able to add much of a pendant before the sail tops out on the head. Dont forget to leave enough space at the head for luff tensioning.

Trying to raise the clew significantly will require your lead position to move back significantly. A barberhauler is meant to move your lead outboard, not back.

If you are not careful you will seriously reduce your ability to shape your sail correctly. You may "plan" to sail mostly off the wind, but as we all know, nature doesnt really care what our plans are. You don't want to limit your ability to sail upwind when needed.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #4 of 8 Old 01-03-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
It all depends on what the cut of your sail is. If the sail currently fits your forestay, then you may not be able to add much of a pendant before the sail tops out on the head. Dont forget to leave enough space at the head for luff tensioning.

Trying to raise the clew significantly will require your lead position to move back significantly. A barberhauler is meant to move your lead outboard, not back.

If you are not careful you will seriously reduce your ability to shape your sail correctly. You may "plan" to sail mostly off the wind, but as we all know, nature doesnt really care what our plans are. You don't want to limit your ability to sail upwind when needed.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I’m having a new jib made.
So I can make it whatever can work with current jib track. I was wondering if it makes more sense to add pennant at foot- or make leech shorter to have clew high as possible.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-03-2019

If you are having a new sail built, talk with the sailmaker. They probably recommend a yankee cut to minimize heeling while providing the visibility you seek.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-03-2019

How much are you intending to raise it? I presume you want to see the horizon? This is a photo taken from a sister ship.

As you can see visibility of the horizon on the lee side is no problem without raise the tack or the entire foot.

Visibility of the windward horizon from the LEE side is an issue ans raising changing the sail geometry will do nothing for that. You need look at the windward side from the windward side.
Attached Thumbnails
P1020106.JPG  
SchockT likes this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 01-03-2019 at 02:59 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-03-2019
Lake Sailor

You could just have a window put in and then you wouldn't need to reduce sail area.
SchockT likes this.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-03-2019
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Your question should be about raising the foot not the clew...as in the preceding photo its the height of the foot that provides visibility.

If you want off wind performance focus on trimming to the toerail, much better shape than an in board track.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Certified...in several regards...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in