Source for drop-in storage bins - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pdqaltair

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-03-2019 Thread Starter

Source for drop-in storage bins

Not sure why I'm finding this surprisingly difficult to find.

I'm looking for simple, rigid, plastic (or similar) boxes with a thin lip around the opening that I can use to store stuff. As in, jigsaw an opening in my galley counter and then drop the box in, ť voilŠ: easy, secure bottle storage. Something along the lines of this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gibralta...O23P/203288654 but much bigger and without the ugly color and goofy mounting holes.
Better still, a rectangular version of this:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/white...5?recordNum=20

Google and Amazon only yield the standard hefty/sterilite type storage boxes, which theoretically could work, but those have odd geometries and big bulky lips and cheap material.
Anyone know of some industrial supplier that makes generic plastic boxes in all manner of shapes and configurations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-03-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Source for drop-in storage bins

Oh man, this is so close! If only this didn't have freezable gel insulation, and the accompanying cost.
I guess "pan" and "tray" are looking like better keywords than "bin".

https://www.mcmaster.com/2762t12
post #3 of 10 Old 01-03-2019

Maybe look at restaurant food server trays.

Those big lips you mentioned are structual.
You may need supporting strap below if weighty

post #4 of 10 Old 01-03-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Those big lips you mentioned are structual.
Yeah, that's why I'm thinking something made from ABS or polyethylene, or even fiberglass. I could swear I've seen this type of thing before.
A bin that's say 4" wide, 18" long, and 6" deep could hold 6+ bottles of oil, vinegar, etc., which at most 20oz/bottle might add up to 10-12 lbs. I'd think a sturdy flange could handle that.
More searching just yielded "open top tanks" from Plasti-mart and similar, but only in large (like many gallons) sizes. Feels like I'm getting closer...
post #5 of 10 Old 01-03-2019

I've made drop-in, lift-out boxes from 1/4" ply and epoxy. Well faired and painted they can look like fiberglass.

This is plywood and Brightsides. I couldn't find a waste can the size I wanted.

The other thing that can be handy is a drop-in bag. Fabricate a lip ring and hang a bag from it, like a cat-bag.

Either way, a cover is handy. In this case, it is secured by a pin on the underside to prevent sliding.

I never had much luck looking for what you seek. Here is another source.
https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/bo.../storage-boxes

Also try Tempress and SSI.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #6 of 10 Old 01-03-2019

Dont forget that you probably have side/wall space that can be utilized. Much of it is wasted space.
Also, you can dump it all in a 30ish qt cooler...costs $20, and lash it to most anything...its mobile, cheap and no holes cut.

If you have a big Container Store nearby, might be worth a field trip for more options...tape measure in hand
post #7 of 10 Old 01-03-2019 Thread Starter

Nice work, pdqaltair! I agree, I'd rather build things custom, but since I now liveaboard and don't plan to keep this boat forever, I just don't have the shop space, time, motivation, etc. to do any fabrication. But I do want to cook!
RegisteredUser, the problem with something like a cooler is it takes up precious counter space. I want to go drop bin for the exact reason you suggest: there's plenty of unused space under the counter that's inaccessible from underneath. So by doing a drop bin I get secure stowage while using otherwise wasted space and freeing up space above for other things. Right now I have the condiment bottles, soaps, and tumblers sitting in off-the-shelf wire racks that will require some work to lash properly, and they take up tons of room in the tiny galley of my 27' boat.

I've seen many modern production boats at the boat shows that include such recessed storage, typically outboard of the stove, for just such purposes, which is great. Of course, I can't find pics now that I'm looking for them.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-04-2019

cutting holes in the counter top may not be the best idea. A storage "coral" can sit on the counter, be hung from a bulkhead or be even attached to the inside of a cabinet door. YES it is a good idea to have designated places for everything.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #9 of 10 Old 01-04-2019

Check out SSI Custom Plastics Their cockpit storage boxes may be close to what you are looking for. I can't find prices, but I vaguely recall that they are quite high.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-04-2019
Barquito

How about one of these:

https://www.discountschoolsupply.com...waAtXQEALw_wcB

Valiant 32

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in