Liner cleaning from leak, how difficult? - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-07-2019 Thread Starter

Liner cleaning from leak, how difficult?

Looked at a prospective boat, and it had some nasty water leaking in through the chainplates (and bulkhead?), and a few stanchions. It's on the hard, this was after a solid day of pretty heavy rain here. At least it's only been in fresh water so no salt anywhere. I was in a bit of hurry, and the seller hovered over me and wouldn't shut up, but will go back in a few weeks and check more thoroughly for rot, water damage under the leak areas etc. I'm not sure how the whole width of the bulkhead got saturated?

I'm trying to judge how bad this is, whether I should try to get the price down hoping to fix the leak and clean up the liner, or just move on. Rebed looks easy, but how hard is this stuff to clean up? Will there be mold that I'll never get out? WWYD..? Assuming there's no rot inside or deck, is the cleanup & rebed a simple fix if I can get this boat for a good price? It looked ok otherwise. It's a 1999 model if that makes a difference.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190106_142327.jpg   IMG_20190106_142302.jpg   IMG_20190106_142210.jpg  

Last edited by Scandium; 01-07-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-07-2019

Re: Liner cleaning from leak, how difficult?

My first thought, "RUN AWAY". Then looking at the pictures I had additional thoughts. Focus on the third picture, see where the washer has crushed the wood? Wood soft, not good. If that is correct then the entire bulkhead needs to be replaced. Also I'm wondering why in the second picture there are a mixture of bolts and wood screws on the chain plate. If you do decide to purchase this boat get a survey and even then there might be additional "surprises" you hadn't counted on.
RegisteredUser likes this.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-07-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Jer View Post
My first thought, "RUN AWAY". Then looking at the pictures I had additional thoughts. Focus on the third picture, see where the washer has crushed the wood? Wood soft, not good. If that is correct then the entire bulkhead needs to be replaced. Also I'm wondering why in the second picture there are a mixture of bolts and wood screws on the chain plate. If you do decide to purchase this boat get a survey and even then there might be additional "surprises" you hadn't counted on.
Yes I leaning more towards that as I look at the photos pondering this. Don't want to get stuck with this headache as my first boat. It's sad as the boat was nice otherwise, and the precision 23 is hard to find (closest other for sale is Minneapolis!). The guy selling (for a friend) of course made no big deal off it, but admitted the owner "wasn't into maintenance.. So everything was original on the boat too.

Wondering if it's even worth going back, but we'll be just 40 min away so can't hurt I guess.
fallard likes this.

Last edited by Scandium; 01-07-2019 at 01:50 PM.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-07-2019

Dock

If you're OK with replacing that bulkhead, then go for it.

Not sure how difficult it will be on that boat, but consider that the bulkhead is plywood. When it gets wet enough, it delaminates. The water intrusion will have let water work it's way down in between the plys making the problem much greater than what you see on the outside. When you tighten the rig, or load it hard, the bolts will start to work the rotten wood.

Proceed with extreme caution.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-07-2019

Call Precision and ask them how hard it is to change the bulkhead . they still make the boat so parts can be ordered. liner can be replaced. use the the fact that it needs to be replace to make the boat safe as a means to get t the best price.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #6 of 11 Old 01-07-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilCarlson View Post
If you're OK with replacing that bulkhead, then go for it.

Not sure how difficult it will be on that boat, but consider that the bulkhead is plywood. When it gets wet enough, it delaminates. The water intrusion will have let water work it's way down in between the plys making the problem much greater than what you see on the outside. When you tighten the rig, or load it hard, the bolts will start to work the rotten wood.

Proceed with extreme caution.
uhm, yeah not really. I supposed if I get the price down it might not be huge deal, but at this point in my life I'd rather get a boat that's more or less ready to go. Adding new stuff, replacing sails etc I'm fine with, but compromised structural integrity is where I draw the line.. Call me a wimp I guess.

And considering the PO was "not good about maintenance" according to the seller, who knows what else is lurking! Think I got enough bad vibes from this one
PhilCarlson likes this.

Last edited by Scandium; 01-07-2019 at 03:32 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-07-2019

Skipper Jer called it right. Run, donít walk from this one! Sure, it might be fixable, but only if the price is right and you are interested in a project boat. Go with your gut (and vibes).
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-07-2019

Dont pay to be whipped, even in private.
Less abused and more cared for is available.
Have fun looking...and learn from each one
post #9 of 11 Old 01-07-2019

May be worth looking more carefully. We have leaky chainplates too. (On the project list...) The wood on our bulkhead has dark streaks and soft spots on both forward and aft sides. The wood is, however, only a thin veneer that covers a solid fiberglass bulkhead. Since there's no plywood anywhere in it, the damage is essentially just cosmetic. Make sure what you're looking at before making assumptions. I was also involved at one point with a Pearson 36 that a surveyor found did have a rotted plywood main bulkhead sandwiched between outside layers of formica. The whole thing had to be removed & replaced. The price went down about 10K on that one, but the sale still went through because the rest of the boat was in nice shape. (And they're nice boats.) So... if the bulkhead is plywood: beware. If it isn't- this could be the boat for you.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-07-2019

Was this the $15000 Precision 23 you mentioned in the other thread?

For $15k a small trailer sailor should be darn near pristine.

If this is the boat, and thats the price, I personally wouldnt be too keen on this boat.

Last edited by Arcb; 01-07-2019 at 09:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
Scandium (01-08-2019)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in