refinishing companionway boards - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By svHyLyte
  • 1 Post By outbound

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-07-2019 Thread Starter

refinishing companionway boards

Hello,

I am dealing with the exterior trim on a 1991 Catalina. Looks like original finish (Cetol?) has failed, and there is 20-30% which is now silvered (oxidized?).

I started with the companionway boards. After scraping and sanding (80 grit orbital), I've got dark streaks is some sections (see picture). Is this natural? Should I instead be using oxalic acid or similar product to resture the teak color?

Finishing will probably be spar varnish - but I am not raising that question yet.

Jonathan
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1491.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-08-2019
Old as Dirt!

Re: refinishing companionway boards

The discoloration isn't natural and by the glint off the lower board in your snap, it would appear that there is still elements of the earlier finish embedded in the grain of the wood. More scraping/sanding is indicated. Once you've finished that, use a two part teak cleaner to clean and "bleach" (with the second part "brightener") the wood. That will most likely restore the natural coloring. If not, however, you can use an oxalic acid solution on the more heavily discolored areas although you'll need to repeat the two part cleaner treatment afterward.

Once you've finished I suggest you not use "spar varnish" to refinish the wood. It doesn't last very long and weather's poorly. A better alternative is a Cetol treatment: Two coats of "Natural Teak" followed by three coats of "Gloss" to seal the wood and provide a good UV shield. Thereafter, at roughly 6 month intervals, a quick wash-down/rub with a 3M "Scrubby" Pad and a further coat of Gloss will keep the boards looking good. BTDT...

FWIW..
PhilCarlson and tempest like this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 01-09-2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Correct typo and add addendum
post #3 of 5 Old 01-08-2019

When spec’ing my boat eliminated all external teak except companion way doors. Those we left bare and allowed to weather on the outside. Inside of doors is 8 coats of epifanes but outside just bare wood. Not even oiled. On occasion will wash with water/vinegar/a few drops of Joy. Otherwise no maintenance. Best decision ever.
You can go sailing or pull varnish or write big checks. You decide.
RegisteredUser likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #4 of 5 Old 01-08-2019

To get better adhesion with Cetol, thin the first coat so it can penetrate the fibers. Then apply multiple top coats, sanding in between. Do the same method with Epifanes. I personally like Cetal as it is very UV resistant and it applies a little thicker so it takes fewer coats to achieve a smooth finish. From the looks of your photo, you are probably into twenty coats of Epifanes, but once you're done, it will look like a million bucks. Another trick, I wet sand with 200 - 400 grit sand paper, using plenty of water to get that smooth finish. Leave the spar varnish on the store shelf, and if you already bought it, your patio furniture or garden gate.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #5 of 5 Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
When spec’ing my boat eliminated all external teak except companion way doors. Those we left bare and allowed to weather on the outside. Inside of doors is 8 coats of epifanes but outside just bare wood. Not even oiled. On occasion will wash with water/vinegar/a few drops of Joy. Otherwise no maintenance. Best decision ever.
You can go sailing or pull varnish or write big checks. You decide.
Do you have a picture of what that ended up looking like? How weathered did it get?

Tags
teak restoration

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in