What do you do with your extra hardware? - SailNet Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 01-19-2019 Thread Starter

What do you do with your extra hardware?

I'm cleaning out our hell-hole today, a space underneath the settee where we store all of our tools, hardware, and repair supplies.

I have amassed a large collection of hardware over the years, mainly screws, bolts, nuts and washers of all sizes. I've always just kept it in a tupperware container, 'just in case'.

What do you do with your extra hardware? Do your organize it, store it all in one place, or throw it away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-19-2019

Re: What do you do with your extra hardware?

Get one of the sectional parts boxes at lowes or home depot.
Or maybe 2...
tempest likes this.
post #3 of 39 Old 01-19-2019
Master Mariner

Lots of containers.some with smaller containers for screws and the like and a very good inventory. One of my favorites is a photo box from a craft store. It is briefcase size with a dozen about 3x5" boxes inside for fuses, electrical connectors, clips, and bulbs. Switches, fuse holders, OB motor spark plugs, fuel line filters and electrical terminals of various sizes and styles. Screws, nuts, bolts, and machine crews. The list goes on and on....
I estimate we have around a ton of spares and tools aboard, none of which will do us any good at all in an emergency, if we don't know where they are.
baywater likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #4 of 39 Old 01-19-2019

I have mine for hardware..and elec.
All separate
Make it easy on your mind

Then anything plumbing has a different container
baywater likes this.
post #5 of 39 Old 01-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Lots of containers.some with smaller containers for screws and the like and a very good inventory. One of my favorites is a photo box from a craft store. It is briefcase size with a dozen about 3x5" boxes inside for fuses, electrical connectors, clips, and bulbs. Switches, fuse holders, OB motor spark plugs, fuel line filters and electrical terminals of various sizes and styles. Screws, nuts, bolts, and machine crews. The list goes on and on....
I estimate we have around a ton of spares and tools aboard, none of which will do us any good at all in an emergency, if we don't know where they are.
Maybe this should be its own thread but there is my question:

How do you do the inventory? Computer files, sheets of papers, something else? How do you keep track? How do you update?

I has happened more than once that I KNEW I had a certain tool but, between the house (cavernous basement!) and the boat, I could not find it and bought it again. Of course, only to find the original one shortly thereafter.
mbianka likes this.
post #6 of 39 Old 01-20-2019
Sailor

I keep my tools grouped by general type in small tool boxes under one settee. The battery operated or electric power tools in a bag with bits and keys in that same space.

I have nuts, bolts, and washers in a large box with 4 compartments under a separate settee. Then a box for wood screws. A large plastic box for electrical supplies (wire, switches, etc). I found a kit of 8 plastic boxes that are removable to store electrical connectors, etc. in. There's a big box for plumbing too. A box for assorted stuff too.

I know what tools I have and being able to find them is a blessing so no need to inventory. I also have a good idea about electric connectors inventory. As it is depleted I resupply. Other stuff is hit or miss. I don't inventory anything because that is a huge time hog. So far it works. There have been times when I have bought a duplicate item but that just build up my supplies.

One thing; the boat and the house have their own tool kits and certain things are only on the boat as that's only where they are needed.

Tod
mbianka likes this.

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gladrags1; 01-20-2019 at 06:43 AM.
post #7 of 39 Old 01-20-2019

After 33 years I have an enormous amount of hardware on board. It's stored to multiple places and definitely needs to be culled down and organized better. I have lots of things I will need for projects... screws,bolts up to 1/2" in multiple lengths in US and metric threads, washers in stainless, nylon and rubber (I am mostly in US and the boat was made in Holland). I have repair kits for pumps and the head, electrical crimp connects of every size and type. I removed the sink in the aft locker and put a cabinet with a hinged lid. In it are poly small compartments boxes... about 12 of them and that's my hardware store, pun intended. I have a quart and pint poly container w/ lids for old connections and odds and ends in another locker. I have one locked behind a bench cushion for wire of all gauges up to #1 and uncoated galvanized and ss single strand is in there too, Next to that locker I have another with bins of odd parts, teak bungs small busses and things like that., a couple of spare pumps, handles. Tools are under the nav seat and under the V berth - wrenches, 110v and battery hand tools, clamps, Behind another cushion I have a repair kits locker along with a bag of all grits of sand papers, a bin for brushes. And finally I have poly bins of spares for electronics' boards, displays, extra transducer, plugs, engine spares: gaskets, washers, filters, sail slugs and repair materials. tapes, plywood, teak, hoses and on and on and on.

I have so many spares I never have to visit the store except to replace a spare. But I spend a lot of time looking for the bit I am needing. I intend to cull and organize and inventory it all and put in in an excel file with a CAD drawing locator. First attempt was inadequate and I didn't cull down. So this is a high priority project for a rain day at anchor. I have large bins in my garage will boats stuff... 5 or 6 of them.

As I am not living aboard I don't need the space for living supplies. I have enough stowing space for for local cruising. I do intend to get more organized and create more live aboard stowage space.
Attached Thumbnails
STOWING DIAGRAM_page1.jpg  

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #8 of 39 Old 01-20-2019

My Wife and I have had more than one fight over storage, even on land. She likes living in small spaces so we are always cramped for space, even on land.

I organize as many noted above: by function. Plumbing, electrical, etc. my Wife’s first priority is to use minimum space, no matter the function. So a hammer wil go inside a piece of pipe with the head sticking out.

Both boats have large amounts of storage and to the extent possible things are organized by function. Plastic boxes with lids. I use some Gorrilla tape wrapped around the box with the free end turned back on itself to make a closure.

We have an open box that is a “junk” box where little odds and ends are thrown, extra nuts, bolts, screws, and when it’s too full and we are too bored we take some time to sort it out.

But I do have too much stuff I’m loath to throw out that I should.
mbianka likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #9 of 39 Old 01-20-2019

I think the question is about hardware bolts and nuts, so I'll only give than answer. We have a couple of those multi-sectioned cases in a locker. One is all machine screws, nuts and washers. The other is for wood screws and misc hardware.

I've been amazed how often I have the one weird screw that I need. Occasionally, I need to cut one shorter, with a dremel.

Whenever I do a project, I always scavenge the old bits. If they are corroded, stripped or bent, I toss them. But if they're good and just no longer needed, I store them. First, they go into a ziplock bag in the chart table. When that bag gets too full, I spend time over a beer in the cockpit organizing the bag's contents into their appropriate containers.

As another law of physics, if I ever need to go to the chandlery to buy a single SS bit, I always buy about 10 and file them.
SanderO and mbianka like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 39 Old 01-20-2019

Minn said
Quote:
As another law of physics, if I ever need to go to the chandlery to buy a single SS bit, I always buy about 10 and file them.
YES. Maybe not 10, but if I need 3 I’ll buy 6, generally double up. But never less than 3, because if I need 1 and I buy 1 i’ll Loose it for sure.

In Grenada I needed a #12 bolt. Neither chanderly carried them. Zero. I scrounged and found a couple in the boat which I had to cut down. So the other day i found some in St Martin and bought a few.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in