Another anchor thread - SailNet Community
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 102 Old 02-07-2019 Thread Starter

Another anchor thread

Is 45lbs CQR adequate for a 18,000 lbs 35' Island Packet as a primary anchor? About 200' of chain (have not measured it yet).
I have another space on the bow roller. The stern anchor is 9kg CQR. Adequate for frequent anchoring along SE coast?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 02-08-2019
Old soul

Re: Another anchor thread

I’ve not travelled this area, so I don’t have personal experience with the kinds of bottoms you can expect. However, the size seems right for the CQR. Chain seems adequate. However, I would also carry a large Danforth-style anchor, and be prepared to switch between the two. I’d also get another 100’ of rope rode, just in case.

Personally, I’d spend the relatively small dollars to upgrade to a new-gen anchor.

I did cruise (seasonally) over many years using a CQR and a Danforth. I carried both on the bow, and would switch between them depending on the bottoms. Eventually I upgraded to a Rocna, which covers most of the same range of the CQR/Danforth combo.
chef2sail, capta and krisscross like this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 102 Old 02-08-2019

Your ground tackle sounds OK. Shiva is 16,000# x 36' and carries 200' of 5/16" chain and a 36# CQR and a Bruce which was lent and never returned! I did fine in NE and in the Caribe with this tackle only dragged a few times in 25 years! Important is your TECHNIQUE which includes a snubber and a windlass. I think Mike's idea of a next gen is a sound one. Reviews suggest this as well.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #4 of 102 Old 02-08-2019
bell ringer

It's probably enough, once it's set, on paper.

Wouldn't be my choice and since you are asking I bet you aren't all the comfortable with it.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 102 Old 02-08-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
It's probably enough, once it's set, on paper.

Wouldn't be my choice and since you are asking I bet you aren't all the comfortable with it.
I was thinking that one anchor might not be enough, and was considering getting a used danforth as I had good success with that anchor type in the past. Just not sure about the right weight for this boat.
I also have extra rode and a hefty rode rider weight.

What would be your choice, Don?

Plato
post #6 of 102 Old 02-08-2019
Master Mariner

Weight wise I think 45# is about right, but you didn't mention chain size. I'm sure after all these years you know my feelings on primary anchors, so I'll not repeat it once again. However, I have no idea what you would use the 9# anchor for except possibly your dinghy. For the 35' Island Packet I'd suggest around 200 feet of ˝" chain if you want the 9 pounder to be useful for anything other than wrapping around a tree or between boulders for Med mooring.
Personally, I would rather a Fortress than a steel Danforth as my #2. It breaks down into a pretty manageable size and has an immense amount of holding power for its weight. They can usually be picked up used for only a bit more than a steel anchor, so just look around. The nice part of the Fortress is that they are 100% guaranteed, so if you bend a fluke, you just get a replacement and you are back in business.
Good luck with your new boat and perhaps we'll see you in an anchorage down this way someday soon.
MikeOReilly and krisscross like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 102 Old 02-08-2019
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Is 45lbs CQR adequate for a 18,000 lbs 35' Island Packet as a primary anchor? About 200' of chain (have not measured it yet).
I have another space on the bow roller. The stern anchor is 9kg CQR. Adequate for frequent anchoring along SE coast?
Absolutely fine for Florida and the Bahamas.

If you have any pennies to spare I might replace the smaller CQR with an ali danforth type. The holding on a straight pull in sand or mud is much better and you are most likely to need it for a fore and aft moor [ Bahamian ] somewhere you get current reversal.

I lived on the hook with a 45 lb CQR as my primary for 10 years firstly with a heavy 38 ft steel ketch then a 44 ft lightweight sloop some of the time was in your area. ,

I did replace the CQR with a Rocna recently but that was mostly because it needed to be regalvenised and it is hard to find somewhere that still does that.
krisscross likes this.
post #8 of 102 Old 02-08-2019 Thread Starter

The chain is G4 5/16. Matches my windlass so not likely to change that.
Thank you for the input. Much appreciated.
The small CQR on the stern is 9 kg, not 9 lbs, and it's all rode.
What size Fortress or Danforth secondary anchor would you advise? The chart says 15 lbs for this boat but it seems a bit light.

Plato
post #9 of 102 Old 02-08-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
The chart says 15 lbs for this boat but it seems a bit light.
That is the thing with a Fortress; holding power @ lightweight. I went with the recommended one as I'd had no experience with them. Have only used it once, to hold the stern to the swell in an anchorage and it worked wonderfully even w/o chain. Of course, in that situation, (wind nearly or on the beam) one would hope that it's the stern anchor that drug in a squall, rather than one's primary.
krisscross likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #10 of 102 Old 02-08-2019
Old soul

I cruised with a 45# CQR with my 15 ton boat for a few seasons. A bit undersized in my opinion, but it still worked OK. As Sander wisely mentions though, good technique is vital for these anchors.

I second Capta’s recommendation for a Fortress. I use "Danforth-style" generically. A Fortress is generally a better version of these anchors. Fortress has good sizing charts. Generally, I say get the biggest one you and your boat can reasonably manage, but with an aluminum Fortress this could become huge.

Be fully prepared to go between the two. The CQR is an OK anchor (in my opinion), but it doesn’t do as well in softer mud/sand. This is where you want the Danforth (or Fortress). Neither do well in very hard bottoms. A new-gen anchor covers this whole range, and does most tasks generally better. It really is worth the added bucks.

For the record, I now carry a Rocna (#55) as my bower. I have a 15 kg Bruce as my stern ‘Oh Shyte!’ anchor. I carry a large Danforth as a backup, and a very large Fortress (F37 I think) as my storm anchor. Three separate rodes.
krisscross likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in