Diesel Engine Check-up - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 02-14-2019
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Re: Diesel Engine Check-up

Ditto everything said above. It takes a while to learn on your own, but it is -- without a doubt IMO -- one of the best things you can learn as a boat owner. Here's another thing to do: check all the hose connections where there are hose clamps. Everyone had told me, "always use two!" on critical parts. I had made the mistake of doubling up on some areas where the second hose clamp had only a little nub to clamp onto. This causes the hose to wear in that area prematurely, which hastens their demise though the rest is still good. More importantly, a hose failure has the potential to cause complete loss of the engine because it is not a quick fix unless you have spare belts and coolant or whatever is needed at the moment, although you might be able to cut a bad part off and put it back on. On my Yanmar, however, it seems the hoses fit just so...

The other thing is to pay attention to what is happening on start up. Is it harder, more smoke, different color smoke, less water in the exhaust? These tell you a lot in the same way a doctor might listen to a patient's lungs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 02-14-2019

I'd certainly go with SanderO recommendations.
In addition;
Go to an auto parts store a rent/borrow their coolant system pressure tester. I assume you're fresh water cooled? Pump the system up to about 10% over the specified system pressure and leave it for at least an hour. In that time there should be NO reduction in pressure. If it does, there's a leak that you'll have to locate and fix.
I'd also recommend sampling the oil, at least annually. It'll cost about $20 and, after several samples, will develop it's own "fingerprint". The initial sample may even tell you something that'd be useful. ( Diesel fuel dilution of the oil for instance, indicating either an internal leakage or perhaps an injector overfueling.) Any heavy equipment dealer can sell you the kit and it's easy to do. I have a John Deere dealer near me and they'll gladly teach you how to take the samples.
Get a hold of the maintenance manual, and schedule, for your engine too. Unless you know better, stick with that and you can't be far wrong.
Otherwise; clean air, clean fuel, clean oil = happy life.
SanderO likes this.
post #13 of 21 Old 02-14-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Ditto everything said above. It takes a while to learn on your own, but it is -- without a doubt IMO -- one of the best things you can learn as a boat owner. Here's another thing to do: check all the hose connections where there are hose clamps. Everyone had told me, "always use two!" on critical parts. I had made the mistake of doubling up on some areas where the second hose clamp had only a little nub to clamp onto. This causes the hose to wear in that area prematurely, which hastens their demise though the rest is still good. More importantly, a hose failure has the potential to cause complete loss of the engine because it is not a quick fix unless you have spare belts and coolant or whatever is needed at the moment, although you might be able to cut a bad part off and put it back on. On my Yanmar, however, it seems the hoses fit just so...

The other thing is to pay attention to what is happening on start up. Is it harder, more smoke, different color smoke, less water in the exhaust? These tell you a lot in the same way a doctor might listen to a patient's lungs.
Double hose clamps are most important for raw water connections BELOW the static water line. You DO need a long enough barb to properly place 2 clamps. All other situations it is really over kill to use two clamps. Usually the hose ID is a tad smaller than the hose barb. to get it on you will need lube and heat. When it cools it shrinks down quite tight. Plastic hose does get brittle over time. Use quality hoses. Sheilds makes marine grade hose for fuel, and water.... toilet exhaust hose and so on. Not all hoses are created equal.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

post #14 of 21 Old 02-14-2019

A compression test will tell you a lot. You can look it up on you tube! Sen the heat exchanger out to be pressure tested and cleaned.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-15-2019

Okay,

So what are the lifetime expectancy of a properly maintained engine. I know you can ruin one instantaneously with poor practices; but, say you have an engine with a well documented maintenance log is there a time when you say; yeah it's time to consider remediation or replacement even if there is no obvious issue. For a land based vehicle if there is no issue I would likely run to the point of failure. But on a blue water cruiser...

LPd
post #16 of 21 Old 02-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpdiver View Post
Okay,

So what are the lifetime expectancy of a properly maintained engine. I know you can ruin one instantaneously with poor practices; but, say you have an engine with a well documented maintenance log is there a time when you say; yeah it's time to consider remediation or replacement even if there is no obvious issue. For a land based vehicle if there is no issue I would likely run to the point of failure. But on a blue water cruiser...

LPd
For most diesels that are well cared for, 10,000 hours should be attainable before major overhaul.

Most are pulled earlier due to either poor maintenance or limited use that causes the seals and gaskets to dry out and start leaking fluid.

On older boats, sometimes they have to be repowered just because one can get replacement parts anymore.

This is one of the reasons why I became a Yanmar dealer.

I can still get parts for the very first engine ever produced.

(Besides, I have always just loved these engines.)
SanderO likes this.
post #17 of 21 Old 02-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsurgeon View Post
This is one of the reasons why I became a Yanmar dealer.

I can still get parts for the very first engine ever produced.
Care to tell your “Yanmar Dealer(ship)” name..?
Minnewaska and RegisteredUser like this.

Last edited by aa3jy; 02-15-2019 at 05:56 PM.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-15-2019

So,

Do you think a rebuild by a skilled amateur is possible or more likely problematic?

LPd
post #19 of 21 Old 02-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpdiver View Post
So,

Do you think a rebuild by a skilled amateur is possible or more likely problematic?

LPd
You used the trigger word 'skilled'
post #20 of 21 Old 02-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Double hose clamps are most important for raw water connections BELOW the static water line.....
Hose clamps serve two purposes. The first one is to to keep the hose close enough to the metal to overcome water to pass between them. the other is to keep the hose on the metal so that the hose will not disengage from the metal inside. Connections above the static line can also be a problem when the clamp fails. Gravity will most probably cause the hose to fall down below static water line. Try to use double clamps above water line also.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in