Big project. No, make that BIG project! - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By paulk
  • 1 Post By SV Siren

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-11-2019 Thread Starter
Barquito

Big project. No, make that BIG project!

Do ever find yourself diving into a project you really should not be messing with? I probably won't have the time to do this, but, I found myself taking my deteriorating wood sea hood off the other day. I swear I started out just curious how it was attached. Next thing you know I am sawing through 5200 and wood screws to free it from the deck. Various bits and pieces broke off, the deck was covered with chunks of rotting plywood that came off the back... You get the idea. The plan is to try to restore the beast. I will probably clean up all the rotting plywood off the under-side, and epoxy in a thin sheet of okume. If there is clearance I may add a reinforcing rib (stringer). Then glass the top and bottom. OR, just use the whole thing as a template to build a new one...

Before the bad decision:

Valiant 32

Last edited by Barquito; 02-11-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-11-2019

Re: Big project. No, make that BIG project!

Ouch! That is going to take a lot of work to re-do, and it has to be done right in order to avoid problems. For example, Chapelle mentions that the corners of hatch-frames need to be halved, and that the the direction of the grain in the top planking determines which "half" goes on top of the other. Elsewhere (Woodenboat?) IIRC, it comes up that the planking should have the "rings up" to avoid cupping that could lead to rot later. Using plywood may avoid some problems, but to make the new cover look good you're likely to need planks or solid wood of some type somewhere. Screwing it down leads to the leaks and rot you've seen first-hand. Going with epoxy (vacuum-bagging? weights? clamps? respirator?) has other issues. Punxatawney Phil has indicated a quick arrival for spring, so there isn't much time! Good luck!
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-11-2019

As a builder i always hated...uncovering stuff.
Its a new game on at that point.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-11-2019 Thread Starter
Barquito

Paulk -
If possible I am going to preserve the teak planks in place. I am just going to reinforce the rotted plywood they are attached to. It may end up looking a little rough, but, I mostly want it to be strong enough to step on without putting my foot through.

Valiant 32
post #5 of 5 Old 02-12-2019
1968 Columbia 50

That looks like a nice sized project. If it were me I would probably use the old one as a template for a new one, but that is me and I like to play with projects such as this.

The only problem I see is when you finish whichever path you choose to take on your spray hood, or turtle hatch, you will look at the other woodwork around the nice and shiny woodwork and start digging into re-finishing the surrounding woodwork...now there would be a big job.
Minnesail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in