GFO packing - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-13-2019 Thread Starter

GFO packing

So far I have used standard greased felt in our common gland and nut type stuffing box . No problems but as you all know they leak , plus I think I have been running it a little to loose . It leaks pretty good when under way but not at all when the engine is off . No bother at all really because I know the shaft is running cool .
My friend the Magic Don swears by this stuff GFO , Don also has the same box as me . He sets it up tight enough that there is no leak when the engine is running and reports that the box runs cool . I'm skeptical of this .
Question , do you use it ? How do you set it up ? Thanks for your consideration .
PS I do not want to invest in a drip less type box .

my new stuff
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._rd_i=16310091

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

Last edited by Markwesti; 02-13-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-14-2019

Re: GFO packing

When we had a stuffing box, I used that exclusively. Great stuff - no drips and the shaft runs cool. Never wore out either. Basically a dripless box for a couple of dollars.

Mark
Markwesti likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #3 of 12 Old 02-14-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

The Gore packing is an engineered sort of teflon packing material, the same way that Gore "engineered" a teflon-type material with micropores and made GoreTex.

It has the incredible advantage of not requiring special spares to be shipped in when you want to repack it, just take another couple feet off the shelf, or replace with conventional packing if there's nothing else at hand.

There's also a "teflon putty" for packing, similar concept.

post #4 of 12 Old 02-14-2019

So how do I know what size packing is required? Do I measure the shaft diameter , measure the inside diameter of the stuffing box, subtract the two, then divide that sum by two? Such as, shaft 1 inch, inside diameter 1.5 inch, difference .5 divided by 2 is 1/4 inch. Is it that simple? I want to make sure I get it right. Also does one cut three lengths and pack or just one long length then wrap around the shaft three times then pack?

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-14-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Pretty much.
How To Install The GFO Packing Material | GFO Packing
For all the gory details. (Pun intended.)
Skipper Jer likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-14-2019

I've always used the old fashioned flax and tallow Minimum 3 separate turns, staggered joints .Over tighten a bit to firm things up ,Back off till it drips. Adjust to taste. A couple of degrees of turn can be a lot. Use two wrenches locking the nut to avoid torquing the hose. Inspection is part of maintenance. I suspect that similar common sense procedure will work with teflon too. (check for shaft wear and possible fatigue/overheating fissures while its open)
post #7 of 12 Old 02-14-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Len-
The whole idea of GFO is that it is just "old fashioned flax, version 2.0" and while it will lubricate better, run cooler, and allow for less dripping, is is "just flax" as far as the installation and maintenance are concerned. For the same reasons that steam valves are also packed with plastics these days, instead of the old flax.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-14-2019

Hello sailor.Fully agree but there's packing and packing For example ,steam stuff was often packed with a graphite /flaxpacking. (tallow melts off) This didn't work well in salt water applications. So good to know what's what and why.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-19-2019

Just a heads up as I have been doing some research on this lately (I've got my shaft pulled for the cutless, and am rebuilding my stuffing box while it's out).

The graphite packing can react to some shaft metals, I believe bronze was a "for sure" and some types of stainless. So be sure it will work for you. Also, I thought the dripping wasn't only meant to cool and show it's "not too tight" but also to ensure fresh oxygenated water is moving over the shaft where the packing is in contact to prevent crevice corrosion. Wouldn't the lack of a drip mean crevice corrosion can start in that area?

EDIT: I've bought regular PTFE coated flax packing for my box, it's cheap and worked before so I figure why fix it if it ain't broke. I should also note I'm in freshwater so any dripping into my boat isn't as stinky or corrosive as my fellow salt water sailors.
PhilCarlson likes this.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

post #10 of 12 Old 02-19-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"Wouldn't the lack of a drip mean crevice corrosion can start in that area?"
I suspect there's a difference between totally dripless, and plain dripless. And that the water in the prop shaft log is still not really 'stagnant' but there is some circulation simply from the rotary action of the shaft, normally having one end in seawater anyway.
You'd have to ask the makers to see if they are aware of these things and have done any tests or had any failure claims.
As to graphite attacking stainless, my understanding is that the rotary shaft seals on almost everything, from a/c compressors to electric propellor motors, consist of a graphite disk firmly pressed against a felt or stainless bushing, with the graphite eventually wearing out, but never harming the stainless.

One less thing to worry about if you "Go Pardey" and go without an engine.(G)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in