Removing the haze from Dodger windows - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 02-23-2019

Re: Removing the haze from Dodger windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
I've used Pledge furniture polish... seems to work fine. When they get scratched... time to replace.
FWIW, Pledge is the one of the few products that Strataglass (premium vinyl maker) specifically forbids under warrentee, because of repeated problems with it creating discoloration after repeated use.

Just sayin.'

NEVER:

Use Windex, Rain-X, Pledge, Plexus, Simple Green, Orpine or any other harsh cleaner to clean CrystalClear.
Use a car wax or any kind of wash and wax to protect CrystalClear curtains.
Use cleaners, polishes, scratch removers, or any products intended for commercial grade vinyl or plastic.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 02-23-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
FWIW, Pledge is the one of the few products that Strataglass (premium vinyl maker) specifically forbids under warrentee, because of repeated problems with it creating discoloration after repeated use.

Just sayin.'

NEVER:

Use Windex, Rain-X, Pledge, Plexus, Simple Green, Orpine or any other harsh cleaner to clean CrystalClear.
Use a car wax or any kind of wash and wax to protect CrystalClear curtains.
Use cleaners, polishes, scratch removers, or any products intended for commercial grade vinyl or plastic.
Thanks.... I don't contemplate making a warranty claim... My dodger has 2 panels of plastic and the are pretty good... or no worse than the Sunbrella.... I replace the whole thing every 6 or 7 years or so... and the Pledge seems to work fine during this period.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #23 of 30 Old 02-23-2019
bell ringer

Why not just use the correct polish as the cost is minor in the big picture?

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

post #24 of 30 Old 02-23-2019

I have had good results with this . It really helps to have a solid backing on the other side and a car buffer helps too .

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...SABEgIca_D_BwE

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #25 of 30 Old 02-23-2019

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Why not just use the correct polish as the cost is minor in the big picture?
My question also....why invent alternatives when the manufacturer gives you a rather cheap solution for protecting it's product

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #26 of 30 Old 02-24-2019

Purchasers of dodgers etc. with windows don't get an mfg maintenance sheet. However the custom canvas shops should have a hand out and if they had any class they would provide on can of the proper window cleaner with the sale.

post #27 of 30 Old 02-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
I have had good results with this . It really helps to have a solid backing on the other side and a car buffer helps too .

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s...SABEgIca_D_BwE
I've used the same stuff. It worked very well. My windows were hazy and yellow, and I was considering replacing them. Then I found the bottle of Meguiars that they PO had left on the boat, so I tried it. I used a car wax sponge to wipe on and polished both sides by hand - didn't have to be particularly vigorous. The yellow sponge turned a mucky gray color, and the windows turned clear. I got the feeling that most of the discoloration was pollen that had stuck on and decayed to slime over time. That stuff even gets under the snap-on Sunbrella covers that we always use.

I can't guarantee OP's results, but if his dodger is less than 10 years old, he probably has some life left in it.
SanderO and Markwesti like this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #28 of 30 Old 02-24-2019

Not all clear vinyl is the same, as I understand it. Eisenglass, rolled vinyl, strataglass, etc. IIRC, strataglass has an outer layer that is different from it's core, which is why you can never polish it with an abrasive, which would remove this outer layer. I could be wrong, but that's what I've understood.

I had a canvas shop once say that the only thing one should ever use to clean clear vinyl is diluted vinegar and water. I did it for years, however, I hate the smell of vinegar, unless it's in food.

I now use the Strataglass cleaner in the spray bottle. Smells like coconut, which I'm sure is it's primary advantage. That and doing no damage, but I don't think it either cleans or protects better than the water-vinegar mix.

The primary advantage of applying a polish is that seawater will shed off better for about one hour after you apply it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 02-24-2019 at 09:26 AM.
post #29 of 30 Old 02-24-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Not all clear vinyl is the same, as I understand it. Eisenglass, rolled vinyl, strataglass, etc. IIRC, strataglass has an outer layer that is different from it's core, which is why you can never polish it with an abrasive, which would remove this outer layer. I could be wrong, but that's what I've understood.

I had a canvas shop once say that the only thing one should ever use to clean clear vinyl is diluted vinegar and water. I did it for years, however, I hate the smell of vinegar, unless it's in food.

I now use the Strataglass cleaner in the spray bottle. Smells like coconut, which I'm sure is it's primary advantage. That and doing no damage, but I don't think it either cleans or protects better than the water-vinegar mix.

The primary advantage of applying a polish is that seawater will shed off better for about one hour after you apply it.
Most manufacturers make both coated and un-coated. Strataglass (coated) and Crystal Clear 20/20 are from one maker, and O'Sea (coated) and Regalite are from another. The coating is polyurethane and does make buffing somewhat more difficult. The coating slightly increases abrasion resistance and stiffness (bad) and considerably increases resistance to internal fogging in damp weather.

Some of the cleaners dramatically improve beading and hence visibility in the rain for months. Starbrite ViewGuard is my favorite cleaner, Imar the best protectant, and I avoid compounding.

(I had test panels on my roof for 5 years, with 5 vinyl products and more than a dozen cleaners and polishes.)
SanderO likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #30 of 30 Old 02-24-2019

my windows never turned yellow or discolored... they got scratched... and show dried salt at times from spray. The few times a year that I wipe them with pledge seems to show no effect on the material. Mine is going on 7 years... the cloth needs some tending to... not the plastic windows. The center window is designed to be removed (or flipped on top of the dodger). In summer it is rarely left in place except when it's raining. 99% of the *viewing* is through the center where there is nothing (panel removed) to get hazy or fogged. This is largely a non problem on our boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in