SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Leaking from the shaft (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/328456-leaking-shaft.html)

Ed Kinney 02-20-2019 12:39 AM

Leaking from the shaft

1 Attachment(s)
My beloved Sailheads,

I've got water dripping in at a pretty healthy pace from where my shaft exits my boat. See pic.

Can anyone tell me what kind of shaft set-up I have and how I go about stopping the drip?

My boat is a 1991 Ericson 34 with a Volvo Penta 2003.

Thanks in advance. You folks are always super-helpful.

Ed

SchockT 02-20-2019 01:02 AM

Re: Leaking from the shaft

That is a simple compression packing gland. You should be able to just tighten the nut a bit. Make sure you put a backup wrench on the body so you dont put torque on the hose connection. Don't over tighten it. When the engine is running and in gear you should see the occasional drip.

While you are working in there you should clean everything up with a wire brush. Your shaft coupler looks like a ball of rust! Clean the rust of and spray it with primer and paint to slow the corrosion down.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

CalebD 02-20-2019 03:13 PM

The blue patina on the packing nuts can be cleaned up as well.
You probably don't know how old the packing material that is in there is so it would be best if you just replace it now. The packing material can last for a number of years since the nuts are desdigned to be re-tightened as needed (when dripping too much).

Here is one of the best tutorials on traditional stuffing boxes:
https://marinehowto.com/re-packing-a...-stuffing-box/

SchockT 02-20-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebD (Post 2051584664)
The blue patina on the packing nuts can be cleaned up as well.
You probably don't know how old the packing material that is in there is so it would be best if you just replace it now. The packing material can last for a number of years since the nuts are desdigned to be re-tightened as needed (when dripping too much).

Here is one of the best tutorials on traditional stuffing boxes:
https://marinehowto.com/re-packing-a...-stuffing-box/

To be clear...re pack next time you haul out. Dont try to do it in the water!

capta 02-20-2019 04:24 PM

As above, it is just a matter of backing off the locking nut and tightening the gland until you get about 3 drips a minute at rest. Then tighten up the locknut.
[B]DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN[B] as the water is the cooling for the shaft.
However, you are headed for a lot of trouble if you do not clean up that rusty coupling. The green patina on the bronze is nothing to be overly concerned about, but that coupling will cost you the really big boat bucks if you let it get too rusty to undo.
Keep your engine and drive train connections clean, well lubricated and rust free or you may end up spending more than the boat is worth on a new engine, transmission, and running gear. And do not overlook your engine mount bolts, for they must be free to align your engine, which may be (the engine not aligned) part of the reason your shaft is leaking so badly.
You have a bit of work in front of you, but that's part of the joy of boat ownership. lol

Capt Len 02-20-2019 04:34 PM

If snugging the gland a bit didn't do it , it will need repacking. Hope there is enough clearance to the coupling to remove the old packing No mater, if your'e not experienced don't try this in the water

Markwesti 02-20-2019 05:01 PM

mike dryver 02-20-2019 05:53 PM

Your hose clamps on the hose are in stalled wrong ! They should be installed opposite each other ! Also the 1s at the hull tube are junk, as is the 1 visible on the black hose to the right of the shaft ! The hose should be replaced also ! The output shaft of the tranny does not look to healthy either. I would watch for tranny fluid to start weeping out, as it looks like the rust goes right up to the seal ! As said above the coupling needs cleaning, but probably replacing ! If you can salvage the coupling Major ? I would get it down to bare metal, or at least with no scale left on it and use a rust converter to seal the metal ! The pic shows a really dirty bilge due to leakage, that needs to be cleaned up sooner than later ! If you have to haul, pull the shaft and clean the whole area with a pressure washer, and pump out through the shaft whole ! Not trying to sound arrogant or anything, but the pic shows a lot of neglect !

zeehag 02-20-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchockT (Post 2051584696)
To be clear...re pack next time you haul out. Dont try to do it in the water!

my ericson 35 mII was repacked in water--no issue.
make sure pumps are working well.
do yourself a favor and use teflon packing. make sure you use correctly sized and wrapped packing.
have fun

Ed Kinney 02-20-2019 07:59 PM

Thanks, guys. Great stuff.

So, first I should try tightening it and if that doesn't stop the leak I'll need to re-pack the gland - probably at my next haul-out as I've never done it before.

(Also, note to self. Be sure your undies - and bilge - are clean before you post pics of them online. Thanks for the strong suggestion to tidy things up!)

Ed The Neglectful Boat Owner