2Likes
  • 1 Post By SchockT
  • 1 Post By zeehag

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-19-2019 Thread Starter
Avast, ye scurvy dogs!

Leaking from the shaft

My beloved Sailheads,

I've got water dripping in at a pretty healthy pace from where my shaft exits my boat. See pic.

Can anyone tell me what kind of shaft set-up I have and how I go about stopping the drip?

My boat is a 1991 Ericson 34 with a Volvo Penta 2003.

Thanks in advance. You folks are always super-helpful.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8197.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-20-2019

Re: Leaking from the shaft

That is a simple compression packing gland. You should be able to just tighten the nut a bit. Make sure you put a backup wrench on the body so you dont put torque on the hose connection. Don't over tighten it. When the engine is running and in gear you should see the occasional drip.

While you are working in there you should clean everything up with a wire brush. Your shaft coupler looks like a ball of rust! Clean the rust of and spray it with primer and paint to slow the corrosion down.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
CVAT likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #3 of 10 Old 02-20-2019
Tartan 27' owner

The blue patina on the packing nuts can be cleaned up as well.
You probably don't know how old the packing material that is in there is so it would be best if you just replace it now. The packing material can last for a number of years since the nuts are desdigned to be re-tightened as needed (when dripping too much).

Here is one of the best tutorials on traditional stuffing boxes:
https://marinehowto.com/re-packing-a...-stuffing-box/

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
The blue patina on the packing nuts can be cleaned up as well.
You probably don't know how old the packing material that is in there is so it would be best if you just replace it now. The packing material can last for a number of years since the nuts are desdigned to be re-tightened as needed (when dripping too much).

Here is one of the best tutorials on traditional stuffing boxes:
https://marinehowto.com/re-packing-a...-stuffing-box/
To be clear...re pack next time you haul out. Dont try to do it in the water!

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #5 of 10 Old 02-20-2019
Master Mariner

As above, it is just a matter of backing off the locking nut and tightening the gland until you get about 3 drips a minute at rest. Then tighten up the locknut.
[B]DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN[B] as the water is the cooling for the shaft.
However, you are headed for a lot of trouble if you do not clean up that rusty coupling. The green patina on the bronze is nothing to be overly concerned about, but that coupling will cost you the really big boat bucks if you let it get too rusty to undo.
Keep your engine and drive train connections clean, well lubricated and rust free or you may end up spending more than the boat is worth on a new engine, transmission, and running gear. And do not overlook your engine mount bolts, for they must be free to align your engine, which may be (the engine not aligned) part of the reason your shaft is leaking so badly.
You have a bit of work in front of you, but that's part of the joy of boat ownership. lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 10 Old 02-20-2019

If snugging the gland a bit didn't do it , it will need repacking. Hope there is enough clearance to the coupling to remove the old packing No mater, if your'e not experienced don't try this in the water
post #7 of 10 Old 02-20-2019

Ed , take a look at this .

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-...o-packing.html

Westsail 28 , Patricia A
post #8 of 10 Old 02-20-2019

Your hose clamps on the hose are in stalled wrong ! They should be installed opposite each other ! Also the 1s at the hull tube are junk, as is the 1 visible on the black hose to the right of the shaft ! The hose should be replaced also ! The output shaft of the tranny does not look to healthy either. I would watch for tranny fluid to start weeping out, as it looks like the rust goes right up to the seal ! As said above the coupling needs cleaning, but probably replacing ! If you can salvage the coupling Major ? I would get it down to bare metal, or at least with no scale left on it and use a rust converter to seal the metal ! The pic shows a really dirty bilge due to leakage, that needs to be cleaned up sooner than later ! If you have to haul, pull the shaft and clean the whole area with a pressure washer, and pump out through the shaft whole ! Not trying to sound arrogant or anything, but the pic shows a lot of neglect !
post #9 of 10 Old 02-20-2019
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
To be clear...re pack next time you haul out. Dont try to do it in the water!

my ericson 35 mII was repacked in water--no issue.
make sure pumps are working well.
do yourself a favor and use teflon packing. make sure you use correctly sized and wrapped packing.
have fun
CalebD likes this.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #10 of 10 Old 02-20-2019 Thread Starter
Avast, ye scurvy dogs!

Thanks, guys. Great stuff.

So, first I should try tightening it and if that doesn't stop the leak I'll need to re-pack the gland - probably at my next haul-out as I've never done it before.

(Also, note to self. Be sure your undies - and bilge - are clean before you post pics of them online. Thanks for the strong suggestion to tidy things up!)

Ed The Neglectful Boat Owner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in