light switches - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 Old 02-24-2019
Dirt Free

Re: light switches

Every electrical connection on our boat was done by me. Once made, every single one gets a liberal shot of Boeshields T9 even those shrink tubed. I have never had a corroded electrical connection.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 02-24-2019

Two thoughts,,, Light flickers ? pull switch away from box and jump terminals with a U of wire. Still flicker? Maybe you were sold not 12 volt LED's. .Mabe the build in resister is not the right one for 12v. I once installed masthead lights 24 v out of boxes the were labeled as12 V @##[email protected]
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #13 of 31 Old 02-25-2019
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

capta-
There's a lot of big name junk, like Leviton (which is all Home Depot carries) made in Mexico out of tin cans found in the streets, apparently. It looks just like the good stuff, just fails to perform or endure.
If the wiring allowed for "push in" connections, those just make a knife-edge contact with solid household wiring--not great to start with, worse with stranded marine wiring. So it could be a high resistance in the switch contacts.
If you have that, pull the wires out, check & clean, then insert them under the regular screw terminal fittings. That may clear it up.
If that doesn't clear it up, try bypassing the switch (wire jumper) just to made totally sure that everything else cannot be part of the problem.
If those happen to be the fancy switches that have the ability to DIM household lights? They'd be problematic. Sometimes they look just the same.

post #14 of 31 Old 02-25-2019

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I have never had a corroded electrical connection.

Indeed!

Jya using a news technique
capta likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #15 of 31 Old 02-25-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Indeed!

Jya using a news technique
My engine compartments are kept in a state of perpetual perfection. 20,000hrs on this perkins when the photo was taken. Corrosion is not acceptable
Attached Thumbnails
ENGINE 1.jpg  

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #16 of 31 Old 02-25-2019

Motor looks great boatpoker. This is probably simplistic but one of my lights flickered, sometimes. I switched it with another and the flickering followed the bulb...nothing to do with wiring or sockets etc.
post #17 of 31 Old 02-26-2019

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

I have a switch at home that turns on two 12V LED lights inside a lazy susan cabinet in our kitchen. The switch is in the 12V wiring and closes when the door is open. The lights flicker and flash at times. I would expect something to be getting hot or making noise, but I have never found anything. Anyway, after reading this thread I went looking.

Eaton has a switch training manual

http://www.aeroelectric.com/Referenc...ing_Manual.pdf

which discusses "Basic Switch Mechanisms" on pages 5 and 6. They divide the mechanisms into two types: 1) Slow make, slow break (AC base) with butt contacts. The contacts in these switches come together like two goats butting heads. And 2) Quick make, quick break (AC/DC base) where the movable contact physically wipes across the stationary contact and the resultant abrasive action cleans the contact surface, thereby minimizing contact resistance.

A picture of the interior of a Coopers rocker home switch shows butt contacts.

It looks to me like the house switch has butt contacts and might have dirty surfaces on the contacts which the small current flow at a low voltage is unable to burn through. ...especially in a marine environment.

Bill
SanderO likes this.

Last edited by wsmurdoch; 02-26-2019 at 08:42 AM.
post #18 of 31 Old 02-26-2019

Have you tried jumpering the switch yet? That one simple test will end all the speculation!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #19 of 31 Old 02-26-2019

the problem with the DC rated wall switches is all the money you save by running a LED light is spent in buying the DC switch. we found this out when installing a solar/ battery system with led lights in mountain cabin that had no power the switches were about $35 a piece so we only installed two.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #20 of 31 Old 02-28-2019 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
capta-
There's a lot of big name junk, like Leviton (which is all Home Depot carries) made in Mexico out of tin cans found in the streets, apparently. It looks just like the good stuff, just fails to perform or endure.
If the wiring allowed for "push in" connections, those just make a knife-edge contact with solid household wiring--not great to start with, worse with stranded marine wiring. So it could be a high resistance in the switch contacts.
If you have that, pull the wires out, check & clean, then insert them under the regular screw terminal fittings. That may clear it up.
If that doesn't clear it up, try bypassing the switch (wire jumper) just to made totally sure that everything else cannot be part of the problem.
If those happen to be the fancy switches that have the ability to DIM household lights? They'd be problematic. Sometimes they look just the same.
No, they are not dimmers, just what Pearson installed. When I physically push the top of the switch in (the on position) the flickering stops. I know they are cheap switches, but is there any option in that configuration? If I could open them, I might be able to bend the spring to make better contact, but I do not believe they can be opened, and then closed.
It is physically not an option to change to another type of switch w/o a lot of woodworking and labor.
But thanks all for the input.
We're pretty much back to back with charters for a while, so in-depth testing will have to wait.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in