Join Date: Apr 2006
Thanked 253 Times in 248 Posts
Rep Power: 16
Re: light switches
There's a lot of big name junk, like Leviton (which is all Home Depot carries) made in Mexico out of tin cans found in the streets, apparently. It looks just like the good stuff, just fails to perform or endure.
If the wiring allowed for "push in" connections, those just make a knife-edge contact with solid household wiring--not great to start with, worse with stranded marine wiring. So it could be a high resistance in the switch contacts.
If you have that, pull the wires out, check & clean, then insert them under the regular screw terminal fittings. That may clear it up.
If that doesn't clear it up, try bypassing the switch (wire jumper) just to made totally sure that everything else cannot be part of the problem.
If those happen to be the fancy switches that have the ability to DIM household lights? They'd be problematic. Sometimes they look just the same.