Spreader Light Replacement - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-25-2019 Thread Starter

Spreader Light Replacement

I went up the mast the other day to find out what size bulb I needed to replace the one in my spreader light which has burned out.
There did not seem to be an obvious way to open the light to remove the bulb. The only thing I could see was a rubber gasket around the edge of the lens that looked like it might come out.

The lamp looks like it might be a Perko adjustable spreader light. The rubber gasket is consistent with the directions I found on the Perko website:
"When rebulbing, retainer ring must beplaced with flat side toward bulb. Starting with one end, insert ring in space between bulb and light housing. Twisting the ring so that the outside edge goes in first will make replacement easier."

Does anyone have any tips for doing this operation while halfway up the mast? It sounds like it would be annoying to do on the deck with the bulb face up on a flat surface, never mind with the bulb facing down while hanging 20 feet off the ground.

I don't expect to pull the stick any time soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-26-2019

Re: Spreader Light Replacement

Does the lens just pull off?

A pic would help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-26-2019 Thread Starter

I am pretty sure it is this bad boy which has sealed beam "tractor lamps:"

https://www.perko.com/catalog/lighti...preader_light/

I didn't have my phone or a camera with me at the time and haven't been back up since.

I was able to find some drop in LED "PAR36" replacement bulbs for the Perko:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My research shows that a split rubber gasket is inserted between the sealed beam bulb and the bezel of the housing to hold the bulb in place. Getting it out shouldn't be to hard, but holding the bulb in place against gravity while slipping a 1/16" thick flat rubber gasket into the space between the bezel and the bulb from below while hanging on a rope sounds like a pain in the butt. I am thinking about taping the new bulb in place rigging up a bucket underneath the fixture so that when I inevitably drop the gasket it won't land on the deck or in the drink. Any tips or tricks on how to do this more easily will be greatly appreciated.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-26-2019

I replaced the spreader light with a single mast mounted LED... Old one was a dinosaur
eherlihy and Markwesti like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 02-26-2019 at 12:11 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-26-2019

I had something like that on the front of my mast. I couldn't get it open. I just bought a new LED fixture.
eherlihy and SanderO like this.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-26-2019

You definitely want LED if you're going to the effort. Can be brighter, if you like, but will burn virtually no juice, by comparison. Can last forever too.
eherlihy and SanderO like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-26-2019 Thread Starter

I appreciate the suggestion about replacing the fixtures with new LED lights, but there are three reasons why I would prefer not to do that.
1) I will either have to remove the old fittings or leave the non functioning ones hanging off the spreaders. Unfortunately the screws on the brackets are well and truly seized so removing them is going to be a major PITA. I would prefer not to leave non functioning hardware on the spreaders.
2) The drop in PAR36 LED bulbs are much less expensive than new fittings.
3) I hate throw away culture and prefer to fix things when reasonably possible rather than throw them in the trash. While installing new sealed beam LED lamps upside down and in the air may be also be a PITA, it is probably less work and frustration than replacing the fixtures under the same conditions.

Since these Perko adjustable spreader lights are fairly common, I am hoping that someone who has done this job while up the stick will have some suggestions on tools or technique for reinstalling the gasket into the narrow slot between the bulb and the bezel while both the gasket and the bulb try to fall out.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-26-2019

What you outlined in post #3 seems reasonable. If you could do this on the deck you would have 2 hands, if you properly suspend yourself in a bosuns chair you will have the same 2 hands...you can do this.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-26-2019

spreader lights take three hands to install. this bring up old memories. we had a home made wooden c clamp that we designed to do just that job. held the lamp in place while we put the clamp ring around the light fixture.
chicory83 likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #10 of 11 Old 02-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicory83 View Post
I appreciate the suggestion about replacing the fixtures with new LED lights, but there are three reasons why I would prefer not to do that.
1) I will either have to remove the old fittings or leave the non functioning ones hanging off the spreaders. Unfortunately the screws on the brackets are well and truly seized so removing them is going to be a major PITA. I would prefer not to leave non functioning hardware on the spreaders.
2) The drop in PAR36 LED bulbs are much less expensive than new fittings.
3) I hate throw away culture and prefer to fix things when reasonably possible rather than throw them in the trash. While installing new sealed beam LED lamps upside down and in the air may be also be a PITA, it is probably less work and frustration than replacing the fixtures under the same conditions.

Since these Perko adjustable spreader lights are fairly common, I am hoping that someone who has done this job while up the stick will have some suggestions on tools or technique for reinstalling the gasket into the narrow slot between the bulb and the bezel while both the gasket and the bulb try to fall out.
Just some further thoughts..... up to you.

1) You could drill them out. Should not be too tough, with the right bit. Rivet the new one back on.
2) Drop in LED replacements are great and less expensive. However, they sometimes don’t last as long in exterior fixtures. LED fixtures are typically better sealed. Could be a false economy.
3) Drop the old ones at a consignment store for re-use.
chicory83 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in