Drop down Windless - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 03-08-2019

Re: Drop down Windless

That boat has a roller furling head sail, so I can't see why obsession with a clear foredeck would matter enough to go through the effort and expensive of creating this modification. One would think they would have backed up 12 inches and secured it to the solid deck. I'm guessing there is a reason they could not, more than a reason this set up was preferable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 03-08-2019

I can completely understand why the owner doesnt want that big clunky windlass planted in the middle of his foredeck. If you run a spinnaker, then it would constantly foul sheets, guys, foreguy etc, not to mention being a tripping hazard when working on the foredeck. If you want to store a dinghy on deck it might be in the way. Even if you just want the foredeck for lounging.

The idea that it isn't readily available in an emergency is a spurious arguement: it looks to me like all you need to do is pull it into position and slip a pin through the holes...that takes maybe 10 seconds at the most? The fact that it is a manual windlass would cost far more time in an emergency.

The benefits of having it tucked away when not needed easily outweigh the slight inconvenience of deploying it before use.

On my boat the windlass is recessed so that it is flush with the deck, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I would never bolt a monstrosity like that in the middle of my deck.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
overbored likes this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #33 of 38 Old 03-08-2019

most of the new model boats have gone to the hidden Windless why would you want to trip over it on the foredeck. I have tripped over my share of them and if I had one I would have it mounted below deck
Attached Thumbnails
Unknown-4.jpeg  
Minnesail likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 03-08-2019 at 12:49 PM.

post #34 of 38 Old 03-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
I've often thought it would be interesting to have the powered windlass stored under the deck, so the foredeck would be clear. With all chain, a saltwater chain wash and power up/down this would be practical. I've seen it on a super yacht but not a small boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
most of the new model boats have gone to the hidden Windless why would you want to trip over it on the foredeck. I have tripped over my share of them and if I had one I would have it mounted below deck
Most of the boats I’ve chartered, newer Beneteaus and Jeanneaus, are like this. You open up the chain locker and there’s the electric windlass.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #35 of 38 Old 03-08-2019
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
The problem with this is using the windlass for anything other than anchoring.
We use our windlass to take someone aloft in the bosun's chair, bring the dink aboard on the foredeck or to pull the boat to a dock with a very strong off dock current.
I would also imagine that working on it in a confined space would be a lot more difficult. 3 or 4 times a year we take the gypsy and drum off for lubing and we clean the electrical connections.
SanderO and chef2sail like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #36 of 38 Old 03-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
We use our windlass to take someone aloft in the bosun's chair, bring the dink aboard on the foredeck or to pull the boat to a dock with a very strong off dock current.
I would also imagine that working on it in a confined space would be a lot more difficult. 3 or 4 times a year we take the gypsy and drum off for lubing and we clean the electrical connections.
Until I got the Milwaukee with a winch bit I too used the windlass to go aloft. The Milwaukee is fabulous. It can be used on any winch including the mast winch which is better for putting a bosun up... a cockpit winch. I can even get the dink on the deck single handed with Millie using her pendant as a guide. The windlass you have to tail... not my winches... so I have a free hand!
davidpm and Minnesail like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #37 of 38 Old 03-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
those are valid concerns but we have electric winches so we would never need to use the windless for other jobs. we don't have a windless no need here not may places to anchor. we do on occasion use the electric winches on an anchor rode.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #38 of 38 Old 03-08-2019

Why would you use a windlass to go aloft? That is what a halyard winch is for! Same goes for lifting dingies. All the lead angles are correct to run the halyard to it's appropriate clutch and winch.

On most boats I have sailed on it would be very strange to try to re run a halyard forward to the windlass, although I suppose if your boat is old school and has the halyards terminated on the mast it might be easier. Even if they were inclined to repurpose their windlass like that, there is no reason they couldn't do so with their retractable setup.

Of course our new boat has the luxury of a power halyard winch, so I no longer have to grind my wife up the mast, now she can send me up with the push of a button!

In terms of servicing I would think his retractable setup would be much easier to service. They could just remove the pivot pin and the whole assembly can be removed and serviced on a work bench! What's not to like about that?
Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

Last edited by SchockT; 03-08-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in