SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   What is my halyard made of? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/328714-what-my-halyard-made.html)

SchockT 03-10-2019 06:53 AM

What is my halyard made of?

One of the things I have been pricing out for my top down furler upgrade is a new spin halyard. The boat has a halyard, but as with most cruising boats, the factory running rigging is unremarkable. A rigger told me it was jus a polyester double braid. After getting a quote for over $1000 for a new halyard I took a closer look at the one I have. It doesnt look like polyester. It doesnt melt like polyester....

What is it?

The outer cover looks like Excel Fusion which is Dyneema but I thought dyneema was white.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3b2697ba94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

RegisteredUser 03-10-2019 08:04 AM

Gray is most common color.
The core looks like 12 strand dyneema

Minnewaska 03-10-2019 01:54 PM

Re: What is my halyard made of?

That sure looks like dyneema core to me. Unless you fly your spin all the time, it would usually take forever to wear out it's halyard. You might want to wash it once in a while.

p.s. Looks like Samson MLX. Poly cover over a dyneema core.

pdqaltair 03-10-2019 02:14 PM

Nylon melts in strong acid, polyester does not.
Dyneema floats and it very hard to cut with scissors, compared to polyester.
Aramids char without melting.
Anything can be any color. There are some trends, but they are never sure. Feel is unreliable.
If you have a full-length halyard installed, attached it to a cleat, winch hard, and measure stretch. Approximate tension from the power ratio on the winch. Should be obvious if it is Dyneema (a little stretch as it settles in, and then HARD STOP).

Just go through the physical properties. The cover can be different from the core.

overbored 03-10-2019 02:48 PM

looks like samson MLX. I have it on my boat

capta 03-10-2019 04:44 PM

Is there any advantage in using anything other than polyester double braid on a spin halyard unless you are a racer trying to use a much smaller line, for weight and windage?

RegisteredUser 03-10-2019 04:48 PM

Not often mentioned would be reduced halyard slap.
I could see double braid as a benefit in shock loads to the spin sail

roverhi 03-10-2019 05:57 PM

Yours looks like some form of Dyneema/Spectra cored rope. Test for stretch and if it has almost none it's an exotic core. If you have a bosun's chair hook it up and sit in it and try and bounce up and down on the halyard. A Dacron halyard will have considerable bounce, an exotic will have virtually none.

Have switched all but the spinnaker halyard out to exotic cored lines. Kept Dacron for the spinnaker for its shock absorbing stretch.

you must have a very tall stick. Samson MLX 10mm has a breaking strength of 7700# and costs $1.30 a foot from Defender. 7/16" 11MM VPC is $1,79 a foot. Splicing an eye and a soft shackle wouldn't add much to the cost.

SchockT 03-10-2019 06:48 PM

Normally a stretchy halyard is not a bad thing for spinnakers, but in my case I am rigging up a top down furler which needs pretty good load on it for furling, so low stretch is a good thing.

SchockT 03-11-2019 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverhi (Post 2051588298)

you must have a very tall stick. Samson MLX 10mm has a breaking strength of 7700# and costs $1.30 a foot from Defender. 7/16" 11MM VPC is $1,79 a foot. Splicing an eye and a soft shackle wouldn't add much to the cost.

Yeah the quote was for Marlow D2 Racing and included a Tylaska shackle and splicing, plus it is in Canadian dollars.

These little things certainly add up though!