Propane line - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 Old 03-12-2019
Dirt Free

Re: Propane line

Yes. Pressure loss over length is real. Suggest you talk to the manufacturer before ignoring their requirements.

This one does not apply but if you search online you should be able to find a calculator for your size piping.
LPG friction/pressure loss calculator.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 03-12-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 Old 03-12-2019 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Yes. Pressure loss over length is real. Suggest you talk to the manufacturer before ignoring their requirements.

This one does not apply but if you search online you should be able to find a calculator for your size piping.
LPG friction/pressure loss calculator.
Well, assuming I'll be using about 2.5 gallons every two or three months on a 16 foot run, that table seems to leave me well below problem level.
Thanks for the info.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #13 of 42 Old 03-12-2019
Always learning...

I have seen several references online stating a 1.5m recommended maximum length for a flexible hose connection to a hard feedline, in order to accommodate a gimballed installation. It seems this might be standard practice in some areas, but is not the recommendation of the ABYC. Perhaps this is the reason your documentation reads as it does?

Jonathan
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

S/V Pinniped
Jason 35

post #14 of 42 Old 03-12-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoytek View Post
I have seen several references online stating a 1.5m recommended maximum length for a flexible hose connection to a hard feedline, in order to accommodate a gimballed installation. It seems this might be standard practice in some areas, but is not the recommendation of the ABYC. Perhaps this is the reason your documentation reads as it does?

Jonathan
No, ABYC A-1, Marine Liquified Petroleum (LPG) Gas Systems makes no reference to any length whatsoever, whether pipe, tube or hose are used.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #15 of 42 Old 03-12-2019
Dirt Free

Capta, I can't upload pdf's to this site but if you send an email to [email protected] I will respond with the ABYC LPG Standards.
capta likes this.

The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
capta (03-13-2019)
post #16 of 42 Old 03-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Capta, I can't upload pdf's to this site but if you send an email to [email protected] I will respond with the ABYC LPG Standards.
You can save a PDF as a JPEG... at least in Bullzip which is a great alternative to Adobe who changed their financial model to a subscription. Bullzip is a single purchase. I switched and love it. Interface is intuitive and easy to pick up. basic version is free! Upgrade is not expensive.

FREE PDF Printer

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #17 of 42 Old 03-13-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
You can save a PDF as a JPEG... at least in Bullzip which is a great alternative to Adobe who changed their financial model to a subscription. Bullzip is a single purchase. I switched and love it. Interface is intuitive and easy to pick up. basic version is free! Upgrade is not expensive.

FREE PDF Printer
Thanks but I don't want any more software.

I tried saving a pdf as a jpeg (didn't know that could be done). It does work but I don't have the patience to upload 34 pages at one photo per page.

post #18 of 42 Old 03-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Well, assuming I'll be using about 2.5 gallons every two or three months on a 16 foot run, that table seems to leave me well below problem level.

Thanks for the info.
You are only storing the propane in liquid form. When you use it on your appliances you are drawing vapor off the top of the tank. The regulator reduces that gas pressure to 11" wc, or about 0.4psi. Such low pressure is very sensitive to restriction and pressure drop. At the burner the appliance relies on gas velocity coming through the burner orifice to draw air in to mix with the gas. If pressure and flow are reduced at the burner it may not mix enough oxygen, and you end up with incomplete combustion, which will manifest as yellowish flame, and sooting on your pots. Incomplete combustion also produces carbon monoxide, which, of course, is not a good thing in an enclosed space.

Gas is not something to be trifled with. If you are not sure, consult a gas fitter.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
SanderO, boatpoker, flyrod and 1 others like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #19 of 42 Old 03-14-2019

As noted above the pressure drop along a hose depends on the length and number of bends etc. in the hose. Another important factor is the inside diameter of the hose. Using a larger diameter hose will result in less pressure drop. A larger diameter hose that ends in a fitting that will attach directly to your stove might solve any pressure drop problem, should one occur. The trick might be finding one.
post #20 of 42 Old 03-14-2019

Dock

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in