SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Propane line (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/328728-propane-line.html)

SchockT 03-15-2019 11:32 AM

Re: Propane line

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoirishbox (Post 2051589062)

Seriously? I can't read the regulations unless I pay $50?

Apparently safety and education is not as important to ABYC as making money.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

boatpoker 03-15-2019 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchockT (Post 2051589182)
Seriously? I can't read the regulations unless I pay $50?

Apparently safety and education is not as important to ABYC as making money.

First of all, they are not "regulations", they are a recommended and recognised voluntary standard just like SAE, UL, CSA, ANSI and a host of others. There are no "regulations" for propane in pleasure craft in either the US or Canada.

Do you work for free ? Why should they work for free ?

Minnewaska 03-15-2019 03:06 PM

ABYC is a great organization. However, I'll join the chorus that I'm perplexed why a safety organization puts up a pay wall to access basic safety information. They have done a couple of vids, but way too basic. It strikes me like the American Heart Association won't publish their findings, unless each user pays.

I understand it takes funding to do the research and I'm 100% convinced that it could be raised otherwise. For starters, you could split the information between basic and higher level. No opposition for pay access to higher level. You could raise it, via donation, from industry and this can be done without undue influence. All sort of research areas do this effectively. You could make professional membership and certification require fees. It should be value to a pro to carry their certification.

However, if they are interested in supporting safety in general, more should be published without barrier, IMO. I often hear those that have paid for years, take offense to that. Let's agree to disagree.

capta 03-15-2019 04:42 PM

Thanks for the replies all.
Since the propane locker was built into the boat and others have made the change from electric to gas on sister ships, I think I'll be fine. I just had never heard of such a short hose restriction before and wanted some input.
Thanks again.

boatpoker 03-15-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051589234)
ABYC is a great organization. However, I'll join the chorus that I'm perplexed why a safety organization puts up a pay wall to access basic safety information. They have done a couple of vids, but way too basic. It strikes me like the American Heart Association won't publish their findings, unless each user pays.

I understand it takes funding to do the research and I'm 100% convinced that it could be raised otherwise. For starters, you could split the information between basic and higher level. No opposition for pay access to higher level. You could raise it, via donation, from industry and this can be done without undue influence. All sort of research areas do this effectively. You could make professional membership and certification require fees. It should be value to a pro to carry their certification.

However, if they are interested in supporting safety in general, more should be published without barrier, IMO. I often hear those that have paid for years, take offense to that. Let's agree to disagree.

I don't take offence. You pay for all "free" information one way or another.

SchockT 03-16-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 2051589190)
First of all, they are not "regulations", they are a recommended and recognised voluntary standard just like SAE, UL, CSA, ANSI and a host of others. There are no "regulations" for propane in pleasure craft in either the US or Canada.

Do you work for free ? Why should they work for free ?

If a yacht surveyor uses those "recommendations" in an insurance survey, and then the insurance company requires me to abide by those "recommendations" then they might as well be regulations.

The fact that the general public cannot even view these "recommendations" without paying $50 for EACH document is ridiculous.

overbored 03-16-2019 03:37 PM

That is because the ABYC is not a regulatory agency they are a business disguised as a council with people that get paid for their time to run it. not that it is a bad idea just saying that's why they charge for the docs.

SchockT 03-16-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 2051589270)
Thanks for the replies all.
Since the propane locker was built into the boat and others have made the change from electric to gas on sister ships, I think I'll be fine. I just had never heard of such a short hose restriction before and wanted some input.
Thanks again.

If it were me, I would make the longer run using a larger I.d. hose, and then reduce it down at the appliance.

boatpoker 03-16-2019 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SchockT (Post 2051589470)
If a yacht surveyor uses those "recommendations" in an insurance survey, and then the insurance company requires me to abide by those "recommendations" then they might as well be regulations.

The fact that the general public cannot even view these "recommendations" without paying $50 for EACH document is ridiculous.

Then the answer for you is simple. Use a non-Accredited surveyor who does not survey to any standard. Lots of those fly by night guys around that will do it for half the cost of a qualified surveyor to boot.

SanderO 03-17-2019 06:39 AM

I don't like the idea of monetizing information which serves the interest of public safety. As this applies to recreational and commercial marine vessels it should be supported by manufacturers of boats and marine equipment not the public with access fees.