SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Propane line (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/328728-propane-line.html)

Minnewaska 03-17-2019 07:55 AM

Re: Propane line
 
Some have said, the ABYC standards are often written in such a technical way that the average DIY user wouldn't be able to follow them. I don't know that to be the case, but understand if it was. Still, as a non-profit safety standards organization, one would think they would publish a user friendly basic guide or have a searchable online database. They also have a fund raising foundation. I'd be surprised if funding couldn't be raised for such an endeavor.

It costs $485 to buy the book of standards. While that could be considered a cost of doing business for a professional, who is distinguishing themselves from lesser informed competitors, it's clearly a barrier for the average boat owner. I read the ABYC mission on their website and it's pretty clear. They are to "be the essential source of technical information for the international marine industry" and exist to "equip our members to be successful". They are really a professional technician and manufacturer focused organization, solely focused on their membership, not a public boating safety organization. That's really too bad, as they are missing a higher calling and have the ability to do more good for the boating community.

In theory, this information is indirectly available via a number of quality maintenance texts that sell for $30-$50.

boatpoker 03-17-2019 09:38 AM

Re: Propane line
 
Anyone may join ABYC and it is not difficult as a member to join one of the various commitees. People who feel strongly that these standards should be freely accessible should join ABYC and change it from the inside.

Minnewaska 03-17-2019 12:47 PM

Re: Propane line
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 2051589638)
Anyone may join ABYC and it is not difficult as a member to join one of the various commitees. People who feel strongly that these standards should be freely accessible should join ABYC and change it from the inside.

That's a reasonable point. However, unlike a government organization designed to serve the people, it's a non-profit with a published mission to serve only their membership. It's not like they are failing to do so. I maintain that is untenable, given their opportunity to serve a greater good.

Protesting is a valid form of precipitating change, as well.

SanderO 03-17-2019 12:52 PM

Re: Propane line
 
What's to prevent a group of sailnetters to get together and share the cost of their publication(s)?

boatpoker 03-17-2019 12:58 PM

Re: Propane line
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051589670)
Protesting is a valid form of precipitating change, as well.

It is, however, protesting here is a wasted effort.
Directing a groundswell of protests to ABYC makes more sense.

You can freely access the legally required standards for Canada and the US online although they are pretty thin gruel.

Minnewaska 03-17-2019 01:03 PM

Re: Propane line
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 2051589684)
It is however protesting here is a wasted effort.
Directing a groundswell of protests to ABYC makes more sense.

I wouldn't be so sure. There have been nearly 1,300 views of this thread and only about 10 of us are posting. Social media is pretty effective at spreading the word. ABYC, or any other company, would be wise to monitor the entire internet for mentions. Most sophisticated companies do these days.

MarkofSeaLife 03-17-2019 02:08 PM

Re: Propane line
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051589614)
It costs $485 to buy the book of standards.


$485!???

Cheap! Then I can win every argument on the forum : "But I have the Book of Standards"

:devil :devil

boatpoker 03-17-2019 11:09 PM

Re: Propane line
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051589688)
I wouldn't be so sure. There have been nearly 1,300 views of this thread and only about 10 of us are posting. Social media is pretty effective at spreading the word. ABYC, or any other company, would be wise to monitor the entire internet for mentions. Most sophisticated companies do these days.

Another project for you. Join ABYC, join their board and move that they start watching for your posts on sailnet. This is getting a little silly. I'm out.

Minnewaska 03-18-2019 06:52 AM

Re: Propane line
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 2051589838)
Another project for you. Join ABYC, join their board and move that they start watching for your posts on sailnet. This is getting a little silly. I'm out.

Like I said, we can agree to disagree. This isn't about you, so no need to get personal.

Minnewaska 03-18-2019 07:09 AM

Re: Propane line
 
For giggles, I just looked up how to join ABYC. I saw no provision for membership as a recreational boater. Interesting. If correct, their tax exempt status is solely supporting the trades, not the boaters.

https://abycinc.org/page/join


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome