SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Propane line (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/328728-propane-line.html)

capta 03-11-2019 09:17 PM

Propane line
 
We just picked up a new 4 burner propane countertop stove and the instructions state it may not have a hose longer than 1.5 meters!
I've used and even installed plenty of propane stoves and every one had a hose longer than that, some longer than twenty feet.
Our propane tank locker is aft and the stove is about 16 feet away and we'll probably need around 20 feet for the install.
Can this be some sort of Chinese directions misprint (15 meters instead of 1.5) or could there be a valid reason for this?

Bleemus 03-11-2019 11:28 PM

Re: Propane line
 
I can't think of any reason why it matters. Pressure is pressure. I wouldn't hesitate if installed correctly.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

PhilCarlson 03-12-2019 06:56 AM

Re: Propane line
 
I agree, doesn't matter. Pressure is unaffected by the length of the line, and as long as the diameter is the same or larger, volume delivered to the appliance won't be an issue.

SanderO 03-12-2019 07:15 AM

Re: Propane line
 
My boat came with hose. I would think the issue may be related to leaks and perhaps cracks or poor clamping... and vibration. Rubber does degrade and tubing is believed to maintain its integrity.

It's a good practice to replace hoses... engine hoses and I suppose the propane hose after some number of years... but how many years?

RegisteredUser 03-12-2019 09:54 AM

Could be referr8ng to solenoid control valve...but i dont know why...:)

MarkSF 03-12-2019 10:37 AM

Re: Propane line
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 2051588476)
We just picked up a new 4 burner propane countertop stove and the instructions state it may not have a hose longer than 1.5 meters!
I've used and even installed plenty of propane stoves and every one had a hose longer than that, some longer than twenty feet.
Our propane tank locker is aft and the stove is about 16 feet away and we'll probably need around 20 feet for the install.
Can this be some sort of Chinese directions misprint (15 meters instead of 1.5) or could there be a valid reason for this?

Suggest following the ABYC standards. If I recall correctly, they call for one, uninterrupted hose all the way to the tank. No metal tubing. They also specify the frequency of support clamps for the hose.

MarkSF 03-12-2019 10:38 AM

Re: Propane line
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RegisteredUser (Post 2051588550)
Could be referr8ng to solenoid control valve...but i dont know why...:)

The solenoid valve should be at the tank, in the locker.

SchockT 03-12-2019 12:23 PM

Re: Propane line
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilCarlson (Post 2051588518)
I agree, doesn't matter. Pressure is unaffected by the length of the line, and as long as the diameter is the same or larger, volume delivered to the appliance won't be an issue.

That is incorrect. When sizing gas lines we have to take into account the length of the run and how many bends or elbows there are. There IS pressure drop on long runs which can create problems and cause the appliance to be under fired. The longer runs require larger pipe to reduce the pressure drop.

Having said that, 1.5m seems awfully short. Perhaps they are referring to connecting disposable propane tanks?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

overbored 03-12-2019 12:54 PM

Re: Propane line
 
The gas appliance comes with a given size fitting and the flexible line that would fit the same size fitting would be to small if the line is over the 1.5 meter length. on a four burner you also have to consider how much gas is required if all four burners are used at the same time. most never use all the burners at the same time. besides the line size you have to consider the type and number of tanks that are used at the same time to have enough gas vapor to supply all four burners. propane also requires less tank head space in warm weather then it does in the cold.

Minnewaska 03-12-2019 12:56 PM

Re: Propane line
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 2051588476)
....propane countertop stove....

What do you mean by countertop? Is this an installed countertop unit, or a portable unit. The later may be designed for different pressures and portable bottles.

Got a link or make/model to your unit?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome