Rudder chip repair? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 03-13-2019

Re: Rudder chip repair?

Sadly, that sounds like a poor candidate for optimism. Here's a link to a video showing how a young guy rebuilt his rudder. https://youtu.be/waxTt9SHIxE?t=153 He dismantled it down to it's basic components and rebuilt it. This will give you a good idea of what is involved. Fiberglass is fairly easy to work with as long as you follow the instructions. This link is to episode 9 in the series. As I recall, he rebuilt the rudder mostly in Episodes 8,9 and 10. If you have questions about his procedures, you can probably contact him for answers.

Last edited by Sailormon6; 03-13-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 03-13-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
Sadly, that sounds like a poor candidate for optimism. Here's a link to a video showing how a young guy rebuilt his rudder. https://youtu.be/waxTt9SHIxE?t=153 He dismantled it down to it's basic components and rebuilt it. This will give you a good idea of what is involved. Fiberglass is fairly easy to work with as long as you follow the instructions. This link is to episode 9 in the series. As I recall, he rebuilt the rudder mostly in Episodes 8,9 and 10. If you have questions about his procedures, you can probably contact him for answers.
Thanks. If that's the saillife guy I got that linked somewhere else where I discussed this Just a liiiitle bit too involved for my first FG project.. At this point I should probably just be prepared to spend $1k on a Rudder craft kick-up unit. Not the end of the world, but annoying. Unless I can find a custom maker where I can get a copy of the OEM for less, though that doesn't seem very likely either.
post #13 of 21 Old 03-13-2019

Yeah that rudder looks pretty much done for. I'm surprised it hasn't failed already!

How are your woodwork skills? You could make a new rudder out of solid wood using the old one as a template, and then wrap it in fiberglass for added strength and protection.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

post #14 of 21 Old 03-13-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
I would be skeptical; of any pro that says they can repair that correctly for less then $900
FWIW the local fiberglass repair shop just quoted me $3000-5000 for a complete rebuild.. AKA almost half the cost of my boat, or 3-5 times the cost of a brand new kick-up rudder. Think I see where I'll have to go with this.. Ruddercraft seems good, they even claim improved handling, warranty, and can keep it out of the water (i.e. no bottom paint). (gotta try to see the positive in this

Last edited by Scandium; 03-13-2019 at 04:21 PM.
post #15 of 21 Old 03-13-2019

If you could get a hold of a surveyor who has a moisture meter he would be able to tell you far the water has migrated more or less ! I am no novice, or an expert by any means as to fiber glassing etc, but, it is not rocket science ! It is just steps in a process from start to finish ! Also in the second of the original pics it looks as though the mount area has been stressed ! Like the rudder got hung up going fwd, at an angle, like Capt Len said ! Those prices are insane !

Last edited by mike dryver; 03-13-2019 at 04:20 PM.
post #16 of 21 Old 03-13-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dryver View Post
If you could get a hold of a surveyor who has a moisture meter he would be able to tell you far the water has migrated more or less ! I am no novice, or an expert by any means as to fiber glassing etc, but, it is not rocket science ! It is just steps in a process from start to finish ! Also in the second of the original pics it looks as though the mount area has been stressed ! Like the rudder got hung up going fwd, at an angle, like Capt Len said ! Those prices are insane !
Good point.
Though from talking to him I suspect this is from the owner before the guy I bought it from, and he had the boat for 4 years. So that's a lot of time for water to migrate in. I'd be surprised if I got it all out in less than 6 months for intense drying, probably more
post #17 of 21 Old 03-13-2019

I would grind the edge and peel it open then you know where you stand ! I don't know where you are situated, but summer is not here yet, at least northern U.S. You would still have time to investigate, and then decide which way to go !
Antibes likes this.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-13-2019

Strip some glass off in the area in question ,,Angle grinder. Look for punlky,rotton wet?? If salvageable cut out the bad bits and glue new chunks in. Re glass Or if not salvageable use it as a pattern and copy a new rudder.The only critical part is drilling the new bolt holes as the parts all have to line up. Mabe better to drill in place with new rudder supported in place.Nice spring project.
post #19 of 21 Old 03-13-2019

What Capt said!!!!!!!!!
post #20 of 21 Old 03-13-2019

I think ia's a great first project, in part because cosmetics don't show and in part because you can take it home.

It's a bit more complicated than I let on. Some of the pages have been taken down (related to material published elsewhere) the result was pretty after finishing and strong. But do NOT just putty it over. I added a LOT of glass in the right places. I added a lot more uni later.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in